April 25th, 2008

Obama: I'm a regular guy—I only have four pairs of shoes

CNN

Watch Obama's comments at a press conference Friday.

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama responded to the suggestion that some view him as an elitist by pointing to his closet.

At a press conference Friday, the Illinois senator was asked about the perception some voters may have that he comes across as an elitist who "looks too much like a GQ cover" to be able to relate to working class voters.

He first gestured to his clothing choice. "I think this is a fairly standard suit here, you know?" he said. "I haven't changed my approach to dressing too much.

"I basically buy five of the same suit, and then I patch them up and wear them repeatedly. I have four pairs of shoes. Recently I've taken to getting a haircut more frequently than I used to because my mother in law makes fun of me. So I don't think people are too worried about what I'm wearing."

He added he didn't feel the need to go out of his way to prove his "street cred as a down-to-earth guy" because, according to him, people who've known him long enough know that to be the case.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. shaun

The DNC and the superdelegates are already on board ship obama, it's just a matter of time before they give hillary the boot. The clinton's need to realize that all there underhanded tactics to steal the nomination will not work, and even if they do manage to win in indiana, they will lose
    NC, and that will be the final nail in the coffin. Think about it. The clintons brought race into the election to tear down obama, but they did it too late. Maybe if they launched their plan to destroy the party earlier, they could have stopped obama from getting the pop lead, the delegate lead, most states won, but they didn't do it vigorously enough. Now there trying to pull out all the stops, and though it might have worked in penn, and even though there will be a new spell of pastor wright, and tony rezco the damage is already done. Obama will be the nominee, so hillary will just have to work hard to sabotage his general election campaign so she can run in 2012..

go obama

April 25, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. JB

Obama, the regular guy, tries to divert attention from the "elitist" issue by talking about his shoes. What about his own statement as to why he's running for president now as opposed to later - "In eight years from now, 10 years from now, we may still be nice people, but we may be in this orbit where we just don’t remember, we don’t hear people’s voices anymore." That quote from Shoeless Barrack speaks more to his elitist character than does his wardrobe.

April 25, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. Jot

Clyburn is pathetic. Look at the votes of blacks in all primaries , 90% + blacks vote Obama if that is not race you tell me. I don't think all black people believe what this idiot says about the Clintons. People wake up, it seems to me some of the black people think they own the democratic party, they forget there are some other minorities that matter most than them. Obama has used race all the way now some of his supporters blame the Clintons for the comments made by his former pastor. Obama is so weak in all aspects except talking about race. Clyburn you have turned Obama into a race candidate sorry for that matter he will lose in November if he is the nominee.

April 25, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  4. Belle-Seattle

This is how he thinks he can pretend to be a regular guy? Counting shoes and suits? He's really getting desperate, isn't he?

April 25, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  5. ner

Good for you, I've got four shoes also ages 10,8, & 2×1... One for winter one for jog and another for working in the office and a steel toe shoe..

I guess you have 4 shoes for workinging in the capitol.

April 25, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Stupid Americans

======WOW, Now Attacking His CLOTHES???====

Oil is $117 now, helloooooooooooo, anybody cares??

April 25, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. Getting tired of this

Better than having only one pair of underwear...

April 25, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  8. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

I detest Obama's politics–he's a typical something-for-nothing, soak the "rich", tax and spend, socialist–but his clothes don't have a thing to do with that. Come on people! Can't we stick with substantive things?

Besides, politics aside, what in the world is the objection to having brighter, more competent, people running the country? You want the local village idiot in charge?

April 25, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  9. noemi in los angeles

lol
    April 25th, 2008 3:23 pm ET

to late to be a "regular guy", after you berated all the people in PA by calling them all a bunch of bitter, gun toting, bible thumping bigots.
    you are an idiot. pay attention... pay attention... pay attention... for when you finally stop and actually pay attention rather than listen, you will realize that what obama said was the truth about what is happening across the country. you should try listening to his speech rather than rally around a single sentence that was taken out of context. this is why america is coming to an end... because of idiots like you who listen but don't pay attention... who voted for 2 bush terms ...who don't go out much to realize that there's more than your 1-mile radius surroundings... and who fail to think with their brain. seriously, don't talk. thanks.

April 25, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  10. Cammi317

Uppity....a term used a lot on these blogs...meaning a black person who doesn't "know his/her place." Slavery is over, you lost, get over it.

April 25, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  11. Uncle Sam

Unbrainwashed for McCain '08

April 25, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  12. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH MY BAMA MAN.

OR MAYBE HE IS REGULAR LIKE LINCOLN.

HE HAS THE HEART & SOUL OF REGULAR PEOPLE

& THE VISION OF A VERY BLESSED PERSON.

April 25, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  13. Jack Walden

The Clintons vacation in Martha's Vineyard, McCain married into millions after calling his first wife unprintable names and during a fundraiser stated that Chelsey Clinton was so ugly because her father was Janet Reno!
    And they call Obama Elitist....

April 25, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  14. Alberta

Did you forget Obama was not born with a siver spoon in his mouth. He was raised by a single mother who at some point had to depend on food stamps. It was my understanding that you lift yourself up by your booth straps, thats the american dream. Now that he and his wife have obtain the american dream they are now being told you went to far. The american dream for african americans is a high school education and a blue coller job. I don't hear any one objecting to Hillary attending princeton and bill attending oxford in england.

Can't we all get along and support !
    OBAMAO8!

April 25, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  15. Oh! The Irony

Let's face it. The "elitist" tag was a strategic "name-calling" technique used to influence the PA Primary. The Clintons and McCain are not fools. They know the demographics of the state. They basically were using a code word to rally undereducated whites, blue-collar whites, and white males in general. They were saying, "Look, this black man thinks he's better than you".

How blind do you have to be to not see that? The Clinton's have played the race card before every so-called major primary and I don't expect Indiana to be any different. On one hand you have a unifier and on the other you have a bitter woman seeking to regain control "by any means necessary". Sickening.

April 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. Independant

First NO Lapel Pin , Now he is running out of shoes.

I'm sure Germi , will have some for him. If not Tony will get him a pair , as you know he has 2 left feet. That is why he walks in circles, an talk is the same.

Go Annie Oakley Goooooo

April 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. St. Louis

Republicans get ready because Obama will be fighting it out with McCain for the Presidency. One of Hillary's top advisers just moved over to Obama. GET READY!!

April 25, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. chris

first off who gives a crap second why in the hell will cnn let someonewrite things about white people being crackers and not deserving their respect then why cant i say that they need to get over their own lifelong pity party and put into the country and theyll get out o fthe country the same i cant stand this one sided crap and how everyone goes along with it thinkin oh no i better be politically correct you know whats not politicaly correct letting a man into that is going to turn the us government into a free lunch counter and a socialist state and leave us (working white american "good ole boys") with the bill yeah im in the military why cant they join and work they dont have to go to iraq at least serve somehow dont sit on your butts and complain about the people making the way of life work for your sorry butts

April 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. PROBAMA CHIC, NJ

HELLO, you are racist just for making that coment, are you saying just because black people are voting for a black man they're racist? Why is it that white people say such things, if a white person vote for John McCain or Hillary, they're voting because of issues but a black person voting for Obama is racist no what's racist is stupid ignorant comments like that you IDIOT BIGOT. Let me ask you a question, who are you voting for?

April 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  20. owl

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO EXPLAIN ANYTHING TO ANYBODY ...YOU HAVE ALREADY WON IN MY BOOK......AM SENDING A CHECK TODAY...YOU GOT MY VOTE ...
    Owl
    OBAMA'08

April 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  21. debbie

Wait til puffy combs hooks him up, I can't wait to hear you guys talk sh*$t.

I am glad you guys have not seen his BENZO! Man, you really would not like him.....

They just paid off their student loans my goodness!!!!!!

April 25, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  22. Cielo

Elitist has more to do than how rich you are and how richly you dress. It's a mindset, an outlook. I'm elitist, so I know one when I see one. And Obama, you are an elitist. Why deny it? Why be ashamed of it?

April 25, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  23. Alberta

Michelle, Florida- What a racesit statement. I wii pray for you.

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  24. Democrats Rule

I don't understand how anybody could look at this man or listen to this man and not just know he is exactly what the country needs right now. He is just all that AND a bag of chips! YES WE CAN!

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  25. An Agnostic Democrat

This while Queen Hillary keeps charging to former donor's credit cards without their consent.

April 25, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |