April 25th, 2008

Obama: I'm a regular guy—I only have four pairs of shoes

CNN

Watch Obama's comments at a press conference Friday.

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (CNN) – Democrat Barack Obama responded to the suggestion that some view him as an elitist by pointing to his closet.

At a press conference Friday, the Illinois senator was asked about the perception some voters may have that he comes across as an elitist who "looks too much like a GQ cover" to be able to relate to working class voters.

He first gestured to his clothing choice. "I think this is a fairly standard suit here, you know?" he said. "I haven't changed my approach to dressing too much.

"I basically buy five of the same suit, and then I patch them up and wear them repeatedly. I have four pairs of shoes. Recently I've taken to getting a haircut more frequently than I used to because my mother in law makes fun of me. So I don't think people are too worried about what I'm wearing."

He added he didn't feel the need to go out of his way to prove his "street cred as a down-to-earth guy" because, according to him, people who've known him long enough know that to be the case.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. mitch from ark.

black men with 'muslim' names are hardly elitist.obama's life is hardly elitist.i think he's just adjusting to life as a famous person,and rightly so.he's never had anything ,until the past few years,due to his books.people are just ill informed,and they listen to and believe anything they're told.how sad,that people no longer think for themselves.

April 25, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  2. Venus

Way to go Obama!

Just stay focus! The race is over for Hillary!

April 25, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  3. Stevo in PA

Elitest!

Hillary and Bill makes over $20 Million and rub elbows with the very rich and famous and here's a guy who made his first million last year after taking 5 years to pay off his student loans.

C'mon America, wake up to the dumb psycological games the Clintons are playing on you.

Obama is the best to bring not only America together, but the Mideast as well. World leaders are casting their votes for him. Can you see them negotiating the recent oil crises with Barak much better than Clinton or Mccain or helping us tackle the dollar currency.

Yes We Can...Obama 08'

April 25, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  4. Voter4 Change

Senator Obama is CHANGE and the Republicans will fight dirty old politics because they know Senator Obama is CHANGE!!!

VOTE OUT Bush Clinton Bush Clinton McCain..................

Vote for President Obama in November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My November VOTE is for President Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 25, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  5. TEXAN FOR THE NAKED TRUTH!!!

Four pairs of shoes and my trouser legs above the ankles. I'm a real sharp guy. OH YEAH MAN!!! You denounce your Pastor now after twenty years. What kind of a servant of the lord are you. Oh yeah I'm not supposed to judge. Then I can see why anyone would not denounce REV WRIGHT> But I'd believed the first time he came out with G.. D...!!! America! It would have been the appropriate time to denounce him, THAT IS UNLESS I TOTALLY AGREED WITH HIM AND DIDN'T MIND BREAKING ONE OF HIS COMMANDMANTS AND IN CHURCH TOO. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME. HILLARY 08

April 25, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. TJ ARO

Common, the media has nothing to say. it is a priveledge to have a president that know how to look sharp.
    Looking good make you a elitist.. WOW!!!!

April 25, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  7. Adam, Plano, TX

Ric April 25th, 2008 3:02 pm ET

Democrats for Mc Cain '08

you were never a democrat if you could so easily align yourself with the likes of John McCain.

April 25, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. nj

isn't it ironic says: "Hillary STILL got 50% of the vote even being sabotaged and throttled and handicapped."

Hillary was sabotaged and handicapped? You have got to be kidding. She had EVERYTHING going her way at the beginning of this race, and Obama was a relative unknown.

LOL: Obama did not call Pennyslvanians "a bunch of bitter, gun toting, bible thumping bigots"; that's a lie.

April 25, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  9. Andrea Texas

So What!? There are countless poor, homeless, hungry people in this country. Try getting them to feel sorry for you.........................................

April 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. Ben

Its because of this fellow that Americans have awoken!!!..He deserves the nomination..

April 25, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. melikeyhill

obama got scholarships!!! thats how he got to attend the schools he did, he is extremely smart, obama08!

April 25, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Alonzo Demetrius

B.O. just what is your idea of the "regular guy", you elitist.

April 25, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  13. Jessica

Gag me!
    It isn't the shoes- it is who is standing in them.

April 25, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  14. wait a minute

Obama is no more elite than Hillary is.
    What are people complaining about?

All these Obama household talks are harmless.
    If anything, it gave us an idea how normal Obama is compared with the Clinton household. At least, Obama doesn't have to worry about explaining to his grandchildren what history says about an impeachment in the White House and for what reckless reason.

April 25, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. R.O.B.

Yeah, a normal guy, who I can relate to. And I'm pretty sure he can relate to normal people like me. It's about time a normal person has the opportunity to run the country. When he wins then maybe the policies in Washington won't be so out of touch with what normal people do.

OBAMA '08

April 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  16. fairandstraight

I don't think Sen. Obama made this comment for it to be in the news. people that actually know him will tell you the same thing. He is a regular guy that God blessed with knowledge, wisdom and understanding. He is able to spend time with any one and form his own opinion rather that adopt theirs.

Good luck Sen. Obama, People are very hateful and are only doubting you because you are black. Hillary has no experience as president because she was only parading around as queen when her part-time husband and Monica's part-time man was president.

April 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  17. chris

what the crap cnn again one my my post that has nothing derogatory in it is suspended in moderation becuase i dont support the liberal socialist hypocrite racist obama now ill be derogatory why not aparently the only ones youll show are the mena ones trying to make people look bad you dirty hypocrites

April 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  18. Just Words

Regular Guy????? with a MILLION DOLLAR MANSION????????????

OMG!! What ARE THEY PUTTING IN THE KOOL-AID this days?????

As O-Waffle Man said "SILLY SEASON"!!!

April 25, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  19. Bright From Milwaukee

Obama seems a regular guy to me, full of confidence, simple styled yet strong and solid persona, a very complete gentleman.

You haters go get a life.

OBAMA '08

April 25, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  20. Carl

You are not a regular guy, regular guys make $25,000 a year and work hard for a living.

All 3 are elitists, and they are trying to win us regular people over... I'm holding out until the summer or october for my stance.

Also, regular guys cling to their guns and Bible. You do not...

April 25, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  21. chris

James Nelson, how bout you grow up and realize this country is a free one and not everyone has to agree with you and you dont have to give them crap for what they believe just like you little weenies who cry everytime somebody doesnt bow down to obama lik ehes a freakin god you people are pathetric and are realy gonna be sad when you realize you got all this hype and money going to an empty suit that being used as a puppet to all the original demecrats anyways you realy think all the old demecrates are going to back the one who says hes gonna change their livelyhood no you freaking idiots

April 25, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  22. Carl

Alberta April 25th, 2008 4:08 pm ET

Michelle, Florida- What a racesit statement. I wii pray for you.

Calling someone a clown is not racist. And I will pray for you to stop jumping on people when you seem to not know what you are talking about...

April 25, 2008 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  23. Paul

who cares...

Hillary will be our President!!!

In the mean time, Obama can take intensive mentoring 102 with Pastor Wright

April 25, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  24. angela

What rubbish, Obama is such a regular guy he wanted to know where to buy arugula in Iowa, bet his suits and shoes costs hundreds of dollars. His wife complained about how expensive it was to send their daughters to dance, piano lessons and summer camp. A regular guy is concerned on how they are going to afford the rent and paying for college for their children

April 25, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  25. tar

Senator Obama is not an elitist. I guess some people think that because he is Black that he suppose to talk in ebonics and dress like a thug. Believe me, we have many, many Black People who dress just like mainstream America and talk using correct English.

Those that say he is elitist are using that as a basis for saying he is a Black Man trying to come up. They do not see elitist, but a Black Man.

End the racism and sterotyping.

April 25, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |