April 25th, 2008

Pelosi says she doesn't want to see a joint ticket

Pelosi has said several times she thinks a joint ticket is unlikely.
Pelosi has said several times she thinks a joint ticket is unlikely.

(CNN) — For at least the fourth time in a little more than a month, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has made it clear she thinks Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama shouldn't run together on a joint ticket this fall.

“No, I don’t think it’s a good idea,” she told CNN’s Larry King Thursday. “First of all, the candidate, whoever he or she may be, should choose his or her own vice presidential candidate. I think that’s appropriate. That’s where you would see the comfort level, not only how to run but how to govern the country.

“And there’s plenty of talent to go around to draw upon for a good, strong ticket. I’m not one of those who thinks that that’s a good ticket.”

King asked whether that was because she thought there was too much animosity between the two.

"No," replied Pelosi. "I just think that — well, let’s put it this way: if they think it’s a good ticket, maybe it is. But I don’t think that we should thrust the vice presidential choice onto the presidential nominee. That’s her or his decision to make."

In an interview with mtvU student journalists earlier this month, she said flatly, "I don't see it… In this case, I don't see that as politically expedient. New York, Illinois…either one I believe are going to be strong Democratic states. I think it is up to the nominee to choose his or her vice presidential candidate."

Pelosi also seemed to suggest the two current Democratic presidential contenders wouldn't feel comfortable together on the same ticket.

"The person that is good is the person the presidential candidate feels comfortable with," she said, adding later, "I've just been involved in politics for a very long time and I just don't think that would be the ticket."

Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill several weeks ago, the House Speaker said bluntly that the two presidential candidates will not end up sharing a ticket.

"I do think we will have a dream team, it just won't be those two names," she said. "Whoever our nominee is and whoever he or she is and whoever he or she chooses, will be a dream team as the Democrats go forward. Take it from me, that won't be the ticket."

Last month, she emphatically told a Boston television station that a joint ticket with Clinton and Obama is "impossible."

"I think that ticket either way is impossible," she said. "I think that the Clinton administration has fairly ruled that out by proclaiming that Senator McCain would be a better commander-in-Chief than Obama."

She was being blunt, she said, because "I wanted to be sure I didn't leave any ambiguity."

The California Democrat, who has remained neutral throughout the party's primary process, said she remains an uncommitted superdelegate.

Pelosi’s remarks came a day after Obama mocked Clinton and her campaign surrogates for suggesting that he would make a good vice president.

(UPDATED with additional Pelosi remarks.)

Related Video: Watch Candy Crowley's analysis of why Nancy Pelosi makes these remarks.

Filed under: Nancy Pelosi
  1. larry from minnesota

With all the poison Hillary has sprayed towards Barack, I can't imagine anyone would want to partner with her. I really like Nancy Pelosi. Like many others I think that would be the dream ticket–Obama and Pelosi.

April 24, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. I have spoken

Shirlyanne,

That is simply not true, people will say anything.

April 24, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  3. NickSanDiego

Not a hard call to make.

Hillary does not play nice with her teammates. They ARE teammates RIGHT????

Does SHE know that???

April 24, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  4. Ann

Why? Does she hope for a VP?

Ok, Ms. Pelosi.. Hillary'08!

April 24, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. Phil from Guadalupe, Ca.

Don't be surprised that should Clinton loose, Nancy Pelosi will have to face off with HRC as Majority leader in the Senate.
    Now that is Pelosi's nightmare come true.
    Phil

April 24, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  6. Jackie Bauer

Can Pelosi really be as stupid as she sounds? Apparently so. The shear hypocracy and idiocy of her statement in the second paragraph is breathtaking, even for a flaming liberal.

Her constituency must be even lamer than she is, were that possible.

April 24, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  7. Rachel

Please give it a lady you are damaging the party, how do you suppose you appeal to hillary's supporters then? Shut up its not your choice who will be vp. I don't think Hillary will take it anyway.

April 24, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  8. Bitter American

I would like to make a comment about Obama's pastor. One of the many things he said that people found offensive was that hillary had an edge over obama because she was white.

Now, let's check the facts: in a poll, 8 % white Americans say they are not ready to vote for a black simply because of his skin color.
    0% black Americans say they are not ready to vote for a white simply because of his/her skin color.

Are the people who found the comment offensive in denial or what?

April 24, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  9. s4bo

We all know that Pelosi wants Obama to win the nomination. Maybe she wants the VP herself.

April 24, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  10. Becky in In.

Barack has sprayed poison too. Get it through your thick head he is just another politician. Was he hoping when he listened to these hidious sermons for 20 years. AND NANCY POLOSI "SHUT UP !!!!!!!!!!!"

April 24, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  11. 4Hillary

>>>>>>>>>>> HILLARY, WE HAVE YOUR BACK!!!!!! <<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>> CLINTON/EDWARDS 08' & 12' <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" – He said when answering the phone at 3AM!!

April 24, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  12. ho tc

Perhaps, she wants to be Obama's VP

April 24, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  13. Mssylady, Kalamazoo, MI

I am very disappointed in some of my fellow Americans who are smart enough to know how the political system works to disavow and demonize someone for political purposes. You take phrases, words and you emphasize the statements with a negative connotation. The Rev. was speaking to a certain group of people who understood exactly what he was saying and his meaning. Those who do not choose to understand use those same words and phrases to mean something completely opposite. That is America's language.

And no one wants a "joint" ticket. There would be such a huge outcry if that were to take place, that it be would be detrimental for the entire political system.

Obama is trying not to do any "biting", but if he doesn't he is considered "weak". He is dammed if he does and dammed if he doesn't. What I have seen out of the Clintons have turned me sour with the Clintons. I backed Bill when he went through his "mess" while in the White House and prayed for Hillary to stand strong, but now I see the "real" Clintons; and I can't stand what I see. The smell makes me sick! Boy when this is over, I hope the Clintons will be able to look themselves in the mirror without those fake smiles.

April 24, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  14. Norman

With Hillary as VP we might have some unwanted sniper fire, and considering the economy is the most pressing issue coming up in this election she'll knock us back to the stone age if she has anything to say like she has her campaign. I thought the whole agenda of the democratic party this election was to defeat the narrow-minded fear mongering politics of the Bush-era. With Hillary anywhere near the oval office, that mode of thinking is screaming "Four More Years." I am glad that her blind automaton followers swear they will vote for McCain in the general election; at least that scenario has Hillary far away from the ticket, and while McCain is a far cry from Obama, he above and beyond the filth of Hillary.

April 24, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. josh good NYC

She says that because she wants to be a vice president for Obama.

April 24, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  16. Hillary The True Leader!

Plain and simple No Africa-American President!

April 24, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  17. Herman LA, CA

If Barack does not win I will not vote for Hillary, and I will write Barack name on the ballot. I do not want to see them together at all; Hillary has divided this country because she knows she could do it and get a way with it.

April 24, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  18. Zoe

Speaker Pelosi and John Dean should set an example by
    making their own choice for candidate clear to the DNP at this point.....Asking Super-delegates to speed up the process
    is slowed by those choosing to hide out until no risk is involved.

I love Pelosi....maybe she can finesse an Obama- Edwards....a dream ticket without the divisive personality of Clinton. By now, Edwards should be able to see clearly Clinton's almost pathological ambition...or he isn't the man we thought he was and voted for.

April 24, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  19. Texican

McCain needs to stop picking apples from the bottom of the barrel. There are plenty of good apples left on the vine by Barak and Clinton.
    They are hard working taxpayers that don't give a crap about being Democrats or Republicans. They want a person with a good heart and the Cojones to use our military power to benefit not only the United States but also freedom loving people all over the world.

I believe that you are that kind of man, so don't disappoint me by failing to place the blame directly on the people of New Orleans and the State Goverment that failed to take care of them during and after the crisis.

Hurry up and rebuild New Orleans so that they can tear it down again.
    Maybe the next time a hurricane is headed to NO, they will have enough common sense to leave.

April 24, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  20. maxwell

At first i thought both on same ticket was a good idea, but after how clinton has conducted herself with this win at all cost politics, i bet you she will be the worst candidate ever in AMERICA'S history the only reason the democrats will not win the presidecy come november is if she is on any of the tickets. Believe me this woman is dangerously annoying.

April 24, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  21. v.ananthan

PELOSI AND OTHER LEADING DEMOCRATS CAN^T JUST NOMINATE A WEAK CANDIDATE AND HOPE FOR THE BEST...

OBAMA CAN JUST DELIVER SPEECHES BUT HE CAN^T DEBATE AND SPEECHES WON^T HELP TO HIM WIN THE NOVEMBER ELECTIONS ...

DEMOCRATS NEED A FIGHTER WHO CAN FIGHT FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY VALUES AND FIGHT FOR THE WHOLE NATION... ..

THAT IS HILLARY CLINTON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Hillary 08..

April 24, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  22. Eric-Illinois

Nancy Pelosi says that now because she is really supporting Obama and does not like Hillary. If Hillary wins this she will change her tune overnight. It is time for the Super delegates to come to their senses and stop trying to shove Obama down the party's throat. Hillary is ahead in the poplular vote and is the only one strong enough to take on McCain. Have we not learned that when we put up a candidate who is perceived as super liberal, an elitist,out of touch and less than patriotic We always lose. Not this time. It is time to send Obama back to us here in Illinois. We are used to empty suits in the Illinois statehouse

April 24, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |