April 28th, 2008

Clinton: McCain could do more to stop Wright ads

GRAHAM, North Carolina (CNN) - Hillary Clinton criticized John McCain Monday for not doing enough to stop Republican ads running in North Carolina and Mississippi featuring the infamous comments made by Barack Obama’s former pastor Jeremiah Wright.

“I believe that if Sen. McCain were serious he would do more than send a letter. He is the putative nominee,” Clinton told reporters. “I think that he could very clearly tell the North Carolina party, tell the Mississippi party that he would not tolerate those kinds of advertisements and I’m waiting to see whether he does that.”

Obama has said that questions about his relationship with Wright are a legitimate political issue. Asked if she would engage on it, Clinton seemed to put the issue to bed by responding that she has made it clear that in Obama’s position she wouldn’t have stayed in the church.

“I regret the efforts by the Republicans to politicize this matter,” she added.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. no longer supporting clinton

i tell you, that hillary clinton is a true hypocrite who knows how to talk well out of both sides of her mouth

April 28, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. Official

She can't win without Black people. She isn't getting my vote. period. No democrat will ever get my vote again. This party is racist. It makes me sick that I have supported so many white folks. That's over with now. I have had a CHANGE of heart.

April 28, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  3. Rusty from IL

I am surprised she didn't wait until the stories of his new speeches died down and then bring it up again just to keep him in the news. "I come to bury him, not to praise him..."

April 28, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. Barbara Querrie

She has run short of attacks because Obama has shown her a perfect gentleman's behaviour of "dont engage in a fights with a woman".Although am a woman but Hillary's attacks have reduced her to be painted a woman behaviour. If she is running for the most importamt job in the world as she calls ,she should be able to run a respectable campaign not fights,attacks and and behaving as if the question between her and her opponent is personal.
    But good move Hillary by urging Mccain to take down the ad about obama and his former pastor,you are now being descent and behaving like a lady -keep it up

April 28, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  5. EC

Clinton is two-faced.

Both her and Bill invited Rev. Wright to the White House when they needed him during the Monica Lewisky fiasco.

NOW she and Bill sit by and do nothing to support Rev. Wright. That's how the Clinton's operate. They LIKE you and EMBRACE YOU when they NEED you, but when they DON'T, they throw you out like yesterday's trash. This is what the clinton are all about.

The Clinton's also did NOT publicly endorse Kerry & Edwards when they ran for the Presidency. The Clinton were really NO WHERE to be found in support of John Kerry and John Edwards. NOW all of a sudden, they are trying to wine and dine John Edwards to get his endorsement.

The Clinton's are NOT fooling anyone. They are users and abusers and that is the legacy they earned. Sen. Clinton was even reported as treating her Secret Service Agents very BADLY.

I KNOW for a fact when I was married to a Secret Service agent when Clinton was President, that was verified back then as well. This speaks to Sen. Clinton credibility overall.

April 28, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  6. BelovedMother

Hillary is so full of crap, Is her eyes brown?

April 28, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  7. Troy

WHAT A JOKE! HILLARY CLINTON A CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! REMEMBER THE GIRL IN SCHOOL THAT CRUSHED HER WAY TO THE TOP? YOU REMEMBER THE GIRL THAT EVERYONE WANTED TO BE AROUND BECAUSE THEY FELT IT WOULD MAKE THEM PART OF THE "IN" CROWD. THIS, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE GIRL USED EVERYONE TO GET WHAT SHE WANTED. THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE HILLARY CLINTON AND ONE OF HER SUPPORTERS. HILLARY "SAY ANYTHING" CLINTON A CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! GOD PLEASE HELP US!

April 28, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  8. Linda from Prescott

Oh my God! She has made plenty of hay about that relationship, trying to turn it to her advantage........Somehow I find her about as credible as GWB.

go obama go.

April 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  9. Strike out

McCain owes Obama nothing and neither do you Hillary.

Obama has used the race card to handicap you every step of the way.

Obama and Wright are willing to inflame a race war, just for fun.

April 28, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  10. Johnny

This is a legitmate issue. No, it doesn't really matter what Wright said. In fact, I could care less what he said. But if Obama becomes president, he is going to face far worse things than this. How he handles attacks such as this will give an indication of how he will handle the Oval office.

April 28, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. TerrenceW from NC

I'm glad I had the chance to vote early yesterday. I was so happy to cast my ballot for OBAMA. NC is definitely not buying the "politics".

April 28, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Clive

The media and journalism is at their lowest point and the world is watching. Now I am wondering who is more patriotic, the media or Rev Wright? Is there nothing else to report? How about world food prices, how about the price of oil and it's impact on our economy? What about this recession that is upon us?

I am tired of Hillary and her schizophrenic behaviour!

April 28, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  13. Herman LA, CA

dont believe a WORD that comes out of this woman's mouth!

April 28, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. Determined

This is information that the American people NEED to know; this is VITAL to ALL voters. The Clintons are scandalous. There is a case pending RIGHT NOW in CA, it’s a real, legit case Peter Paul vs Clinton. For the skeptics, the case number is : BC304174
    lasuperiorcourt.org

April 28, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  15. marie

Hillary is unbelieveable, she has done more harm to Obama than McCain ever could. She helped the Republicans with all the imformation shes been throwing. The American people are the ones that crazy, because we keep buying into her lies.

April 28, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  16. iamaman

One more thing: If June 3 finds Obama with the most pledged delegates, popular votes, and states won, and the Democratic Party leaders give this election to HRC. This African American could NOT in good conscious vote for another democrat ever again. I venture to say 90 percent of all life-long African American Democrats feel the same.

April 28, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  17. Val

My goodness! What is she thinking! This woman has got some guts to be criticizing McCain when she herself dwelt on Wright issue up until her victory in PA. How dare she?

April 28, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  18. Bill Albany NY

Typical liberal.
    Point out one controversial preacher of the "holy mackerel" and next thing you know all conservatives are attacking the black church's—and Rev. Wright's Momma.

Whut up w/ dat?

________________

Wow but not surprising coming from a Texan. How about typical conservatives whenever their precious preachers (Dobson, Fallwell, Robertson, Hagee, Perkins, etc) are attack they are quick to play the Communist Card.

Pot meet kettle

April 28, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  19. Jill in Chicago

She is supporting a fellow democrat, and all of the Obama bloggers on this site sound more bombastic and fanatical than Wright. At least Wright backed up his fiery words with intelligence, albeit, he is full of himself.

April 28, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. aughhhh

What a hypocrite! She is the one that made such a big deal out of this in the first place. I cannot stand her, and will not vote for her if she is the nominee. I have lost all respect for both Hillary and Bill
    Clinton. I would never want them to represent me.

April 28, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. close hi lies piehole

Who would believe this statement from Hil liar ??? who has been behind the negative adds from Hil liar from her day one .

Wouldn't you love to have a job working beside or under her ?

April 28, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  22. Timber

Just heard the Gov. of NC was going to endorse Hillary! Finally, people are seeing through Obama's snakeoil speeches............

April 28, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  23. David

I agree with Hillary on every count except this one. Run all the ads you can Republicans-we need SOMEONE to tell the truth about Obama. Between the media and the Democratic establishment, there is not sensible view of the self-proclaimed Messiah.

April 28, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  24. Antoinette

SHe is right on the money there and she has my respect

But she should say that especially since she got marital counseling from him and she knows that he is a good man

And i agree, McCain should do more but you know that he loves for the ads to run while Obama has already said that he has nothng to do with what he thinks. Obama is running for president, not Wright

April 28, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. Alex in TX

You can't attack him, that's my job.

Hillary Clinton