April 28th, 2008

Obama: Will you be my running mate?

WILMINGTON, North Carolina (CNN) – It's official: Barack Obama has offered the vice presidency to an 82-year-old woman.

At a town hall meeting in Wilmington, North Carolina, Monday supporter Jean Weiss stood up to ask a question and began by telling the Illinois senator that he's "captured her heart" with his foreign policy stands.

"When you said 'yes I will sit down with all my enemies, we're gonna sit around the table, we're gonna work this thing out,'" Weiss said, "sir, that was not naiveté—that was wisdom."

She then moved on to a question about water supply. "Before I answer the question," Obama said, "I just want to know–will you be my running mate?"

The crowd erupted in applause, and Weiss ran up to the stage and gave him a hug.

"That’s my running mate there," Obama said as she trotted back to her seat, her arms in the air. "She is 82 years old. She's got some fire!"

Weiss wasn't done, though, until she offered some advice on how to handle his rival Hillary Clinton.

"Don't hit on Hillary," she said. "Bring us all back. Let her do that stuff. Leave her alone, you don't need to do that. You are higher than that. Bring us up higher than that."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. COMMITTED Obama supporter

Obama 08 "YES WE CAN" AND "WE WILL!!!!"

April 28, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  2. P

We need a president for peace. The world is suffering and the need for peace is immediate. I feel sick when Hillary or Wolf Blitzer talk in surprise that Obama has hinted that he will talk to Ahmadinejad; Obama should talk to Ahmadinejad and should talk to Hamas and should talk to Israel and bring this world one step closer to peace. This world is tearing down out of anger ....

April 28, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. Tim, Seattle

Wise woman and very very tuned in to what needs to happen.
    Barack needs to ignore Hillary. Barack is not comfortable going negative and I think that is good quality.
    But in this divisive strategy by the Clintons, he will only lose if he goes there.
    Face it, Hillary is no longer going after him on the issues. The Clinton campaign is going after his chararacter. Her politics are now in the gutter and she only wants to take him down their with her.

Take this woman's advice, Barack. Ignore Clintons attacks and return to the higher ground we all should occupy.
    Keep talking issues. Talk directly to the people. Win Indiana (or come real close) and win North Carolina and this will be over.

1/2 of Hillary's supporters wont vote for Barack. just because Hillary loses. Not because of issues, not because of anything else.
    Thats fine, they can try and expalin that to their kids someday as we get a Bush 3rd term. And they can also explain to little Jimmy or Susie why its fair to overturn the will of the people by threatening to vote for McCaini in larger numbers than Obama supporters.

April 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  4. Tanya, Chicago

Well, have the guts to debate HIllary, win the election and then we can talk about sitting with your enemies for dinner and work things out.

April 28, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  5. Mike in NC

And they said that seniors favored Clinton!

Obama 2008 – 2016! (The best years ever!)

April 28, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  6. Posn

I agree with Ms Weiss 100%

April 28, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  7. Michael Minorgan Montreal Quebec Canada

ur right Ms Weiss....words having a funny way of finding the mark...much better and far less painful and destructive than the bullet..let us all go the way of Ghandi for a change and not the way of the wild west which we are way to accustomed to under the 2nd ammendment. Let's have a president that at least offers a different and imaginative visikon for us humans on this pallid earth...GO MR OBAMA!

April 28, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  8. gene

I shutter to think what it would be like if Obama was in negotiation with the President of Iran, when Hillary Clinton whipped him in every debate, and made him look foolish No wonder he does not want to debate her again. That last whipping really hurt!

April 28, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  9. Tania

Brian , no comparison there.
    Gorbachev was willing and instrumental in getting a dialogue with the Western World.
    He never received the credit for it over here , but he did in Europe.

April 28, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  10. Slowpoke

Haha awesome

April 28, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  11. Bayou Joe

Hey Brian, before you comment, read your history. Reagan did not talk the Russians into bringing down the wall. He forced them to do it by showing superior power and the willingness to use it. He also got back the hostages in Iran, using the same tactic. Clinton destroyed our military capability and our intelligence agencies, that is why 9/11 occurred. He did not take out Bin Laden when he had ample opportunity to do so. A weak government invites attacks.

April 28, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  12. Wade

I agree. Obama has the wisdom.

April 28, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  13. Peter B

Who says Obama doesn't appeal to the elderly???
    Go Grannie Go!!!

April 28, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  14. Obama 08

Interesting that a major GOP strtegist Brent Scowcroft has issued his support of Obama's foreign policy of talking to our eneimies...story is on the Huffington Post

April 28, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  15. Robert

Didn't Obama slam Carter for his meeting with Hamas a few days ago?

I'm puzzled because it can't be both ways.

April 28, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  16. Tejano

Barak needs to drop out now and let a real winner/fighter take on McCain. He is not electable with 30% of the Democratic vote. Hillary at least has a small chance. Barak non at all.

April 28, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  17. Tyler, NJ

Slow News Day?

April 28, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  18. Catherine S

That old woman in NC is smarter than most of us.
    So is Obama.
    Obama has more years in elected office than Hillary (his 12 years to her 8), he is more electable against McCain. McCain would crush Hillary on her Bosnia lie alone. She has paltry moral fiber and is frighteningly pugilistic. Back in Chaucer's time, in the days of knights, the chivalric code stated that if a warrior fought with his anger he had already lost; that a warrior needed to always fight with his mind and higher sensibility. That man is Obama.
    Don't believe all the media hype, and their various nefarious agendas. Parse things out for yourself. Vote your heart and highest mind.
    Remember 1776. This country needs to go through more birth pains in order to grow up out of the shameful joke it's become in the world.
    Remember what a republic once was? A UNITED states.
    Repubs, Independents and Dems all together, YES WE CAN

April 28, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  19. IF I WERE A SPEECHWRITER FOR OBAMA...

ADVICE FOR THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN:
    If I were a speech writer for the Obama Campaign, this is what I would tell Obama to say in a speech on the beach in NC:

I have known Rev. Wright for the last 20 yrs. He was an influencial person in directing me to begin my journey to seek a a personal relationship with God. My journey began there, but it didn't end there. On this jounrey I have grown to a new spiritual awareness and awakening. I have come to understand that God is not just in the one church on Sunday, but in all churches, every Sunday. No one way is the correct way to walk the spiritual path. Our religious affiliation is predicated on each individuals experiences, demographic and most importantly our own personal journies. The constitution, designed by our forefathers, allowed all Americans to exercise their own way of worshipping God. Therefore the style or mechanisms of worship, faith and religon should never be forced on any anyone, nor should it be used as a gage to judge or denounce them. Rev. Wright has the right to express his beliefs and his convictions in whatever forum he so chooses. Many have fought, including Rev. Wright, and died for that inalienable right of free speech. His views are provocative and may challenge or offend some peoples conventional thinking of religon and faith. But his words are not my words. I have a different view (behind him should stand a religious representative of every faith and religon. He should turn to show those members of all faiths).The people who stand behind me represent the thread that weaves the fabric of our country. All of these individuals represent the unity that I desire to have in our country and how I plan to run my administration. Seperate threads, woven into a symmetrical fabric...called the United States of America. I want a country where all of these faiths can not only co-exist, and be respected, but work together to continue the dream of a "more perfect union". A union that embraces our differences and revels in all of our individualities. Therefore, hear me when I say, the only words that represent my beliefs and my views on faith, have and will be spoken from my mouth. I need no other to express my thoughts and beliefs about this great country. I am more than willing and able to speak my own thoughts and truths. The America I see, is an America that is diverse, proud, beautiful, courageous, inspirational, and resilient. The future I envision for the country includes inclusion, redemption, honor and most of all HOPE. Together, all of us, can achieve the dreams of our forefathers, to acknowledge the pains of the past but then to move foward towards a "more perfect union". Thank you and God Bless America.

April 28, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  20. thinktank

It appears that Obama supporters are willing to turn a blind eye to the Rev Wright issue. In fact, I am appalled by some of the comments which I presume are attempts to exonerate Rev Wright and consequently, Obama.

Timmdogg, did Wright in fact expose America's dirty secret and the media distorted this so called "truth" claimed by Wright? I refer to Wright's claim that America invented AIDS virus to kill off blacks. Are you also actually claiming that high gas prices, job loss and all the other problems are solely because we "did not mind our own business"? You do not consider for example that the gas price had soared because of the demand pressure from China? Are job losses due to our occupation of Iraq? Really?

Let me also remind you Obamanation that this REVEREND blasphemed in a Church sermon! Who in their good minds would attend a Church where the REVEREND himself is crying out "God ****" in a sermon? It's deplorable!

Americans SHOULD question this presidential candidate named Obama's judgment to NOT leave such church and reverend. He attended this church for 20 yrs, made Wright his spritual adviser, etc etc and claims he did not "really" know about Wright's views? Does Obama really think all of America are that ignorant or adulating of him that much?

April 28, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  21. sharon a wooten

I AM SICK AT HEART, SICK TO MY STOMACH ABOUT THE WAY THE NEWS IS COVERING MR. WRIGHT. WHY DO NOT THE PEOPLE OPEN THEIR MINDS AND REALIZE THAT HE IS NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, OBAMA IS RUNNING FOR THAT OFFICE. TWENTY YEARS IN A CHRUCH DOES NOT MEAN THAT HE WAS THERE EVERY SUNDAY. HILLARY IS AN OUT RIGHT LIER AND SEEMS TO GET AWAY WITH IT. . OBAMA AGREED TO DEBATE HER IN APRIL BUT THE DATE WAS NOT RIGHT FOR HER. HER STRATEGY IS TO ASK HIM NOW AND MAKE AN ISSUE OF HIM NOT DOING SO. I WOULD HATE TO HAVE A PERSON LIKE HER RUNNING THIS COUNTRY.

April 28, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  22. Proud Military Member, PC Florida

People are losing focus for a minute. They will come back down to earth and once again realize that Obama is the only choice.

April 28, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  23. wow

The Democratic party could have avoided this whole mess- by having run a fair and clean primary that did not handicap nor advantage either candidate.

But they sought to install Obama and were willing to bloody Clinton to achieve their ends.

The radical liberal elites went along with the plan.

The biased media played their part REAL well.

So now we trashed the best candidate and are still trying to prop up the weaker one.

And risk inflaming racial dissent.

Not to mention the backlash from the remaining 88% of the people if the decision is made on race and not on merit.

April 28, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  24. Ilona Proud Canadian

This man is out of touch with people????????? I think that this is so representative of how the people feel about Sen. Obama. Way to go Barack!

April 28, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  25. KM

I had so much hope with this election. But Hillary has showed us that the only way to get ahead or get what you want is to tear other people down in order for you to move up. Look in the mirror america, this is who we are and that is why other countries don't like us. If we can do this to our own, image how the people of Iraw must feel like.

Let me stop complaining, at least I'm not a live in hostage in my own country, subject to random searches throughout the countryside, could be mistaken as a terrorist and shot without warning, and my whole political structure is controlled by outsiders.

I guess I don't have it that bad here in America after all. Long live the Queen.

April 28, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |