April 28th, 2008

Obama: Wright is 'free to speak his mind'

(CNN) -
Barack Obama would not say Monday whether he thought fresh headline-grabbing statements from his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, could harm his presidential bid – and continued his effort to distance himself from the pastor’s controversial comments.

“I think certainly what the last three days indicate is that we're not coordinating with him,” he laughed. “He's obviously free to speak his mind, but I just want to emphasize he is my former pastor.

“Many of the statements he made both to trigger this initial controversy, and that he's made over the last couple days are not statements that I heard him make previously. They don't represent my views and they don't represent what this campaign is about. But he's obviously free to make those statements.”

1. gary

YOUR RIGHT O.B. HE CAN SPEAK HIS MIND. YOU ARE ANTI JUST LIKE HIM. DONT BULL--. THE COUNTRY. BE A MAN WHICH ITS HARD FOR YOU TO DO, AND ADMITT YOU FOLLOW HIS CUTRAL SERMONS AND LIVE BY IT. AMERICA IS SO OUT OF TOUCH TO EVEN LET YOU IN THIS RACE. HOW LONG DID YOU RESEARCH THE BLACK VOTE BEFORE YOU DECIDED TO RUN. THIS IS THE MOST RACIEST RACE FOR A PRESIDENT I HAVE EVER SEEN. THERE IS MORE HATE AND DIVISION OF A COUNTRY TOO. YOU SURE HAVE BROUGHT A CHANGE. GOD HELP THIS COUNTRY FOR ANYMORE CHANGES FROM YOU.

April 28, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. Joseph, Los Angeles California

Pastor Wright is an American who has the right to speak his mind like the rest of us on these blogs, and boy I have read some dozzies if not downright hateful stuff. I think Mr. Obama is an honest man which is a far cry from what we've had in the White house the last 16 years. I know a lot of people who's views I don't share, but we get along based on that little thing called humanity and ability to have an intelligent discussion about our different ways of looking at things. Yeah, the Pastor is being a bit selfish, but he doesn't sway me away from casting a vote for real change.

April 28, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  3. aliou

Does anyone know what church McCain and Hilary are members of ?

Give me a break. this is pure racism and don't come yealing at me. I am a white person. I 've been to black churches and white churches. they preach the same sermon he did, only for different audiences and their message is the same.

April 28, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  4. obama supporter

well. it would seem once again obama is being honest about a shady individual.

If anything that's gonna sink Obama, it's going to be his honesty and transparency. Well good for him

Better to loose by being honest than to win by being a liar.

April 28, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. honkey white guy from cali

That is right he was a free right to speak his mind as do all Americans time for people in this country to stop letting the media guide thema dn there lives and thought it is sad to see so many people that are lead around by CNN, MSNBC, FOX I mean come on now learn to think for yourselves! stop being brain washed!!

Go Obama 08 Yes We Can!!!!

April 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  6. scared

At what point is the New media going to get the fact that Mr Obama is a Politician a different type but he is one and Rev Wright is a Pastor. Rev Wright is free to speak and say what he wants. And if the media stop giving him air time then we can focus on the real problem like gas price, food price etc.

Mr. Obama all you need to do is stay on message do not feed into the media about Rev Wright. I heard what you have to say about the matter and I for one is behind you.

YES WE CAN MAKE A CHANGE IN WASHINGSTON POLITICS!!!!!

April 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  7. tttttTruth be told

tell me something you all want to take Jarimiah Wright words and put them in Senator Obama's mouht. You alos act as thought you have never in your life heard anything as defensive as what Jeramiah said. You also refuse to look at what he has said in full context which means you all are very small minded and already has a pointed view.
    The news media refused to put the context of the message on air it has brainwashed a many people -cnn, msnbc, cnbc, Hannity and Colmes, Glen Beck you name it the list could go on. This election this year has been torn apart. All parties involved have been sprewing ignorance. at this point I am so tired of all this maddness and hypocrosy. This november I believe I will stay at home and let the maddness continue How ever this shoe ends it will be what it will be. Most of our lives will go on the same for the most part anyway this stuff has just gotten so out of hands i don't want any part of it.

April 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  8. I used to be a Democrat

Fomer Pastor?

You really are out of touch, Obama.

April 28, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  9. linda

When did Americans become so closed minded? I am really getting concerned. And also, when did we become puppets to the media? It is as if we can no longer think for ourselves. We know that the media puts their own spin on stuff, lets not act like that is a big surprise. That is why is is important to research issues for yourself!

April 28, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  10. NO MORE OBUMA!

I WILL not vote for obuma. I regret that I voted for him CT primary.
    Wright is very arrogant. he was smiling during his speeches. He's not a man of GOD! He's divisive like Obama.

April 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  11. Rev. Wright Is NOT Running 4 Office

Seems some Americans forget the Wright to 'Freedom of Speech'
    Now who's running for office again? I thought it was Sen. Obama!
    Unless Sen Obama was on that pulpit SAYING those things then I dont give a rats patootie what his Rev. said!
    Can't find anything worthwile on Obama so they spin and spin and spin!
    No worried Hillarious Rotten Clinton cannot and will not win!

April 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  12. Tjaye

This old man is working my last nerve!

Is he trying to sabotage Obama? Why not just come out and apologize and say he made the statements in anger and frustration? He is human, albeit a pastor....he is allowed to make mistakes. I think people would respect him more.

April 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  13. ex bo fan

at least 20 new 5 second clips for the roves of the world to mangle. sorry to say if b.o. is nominated the dems can kiss the white huose good by

April 28, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |