April 28th, 2008

Poll shows Clinton has better shot of beating McCain

Hillary Clinton would beat McCain by 9 points, a new poll shows.
Hillary Clinton would beat McCain by 9 points, a new poll shows.

(CNN) – A new poll out Monday appears to bolster Hillary Clinton's argument that she is in a better position than rival Barack Obama to beat John McCain in a general election match up.

According to a newly-released poll from The Associated Press and Ipsos, Clinton would beat McCain by a wide 9-point margin, 50 percent to 41 percent. But when Obama faces McCain, the two are statistically tied - Obama holds a two point edge over McCain, within the poll's margin of error.

The Clinton campaign has long argued the New York senator has a better shot at beating McCain because of her demonstrated appeal with working class white voters - a demographic that is key to winning several swing states.

1. Swannie

Hillary is now and has always been the most dependable candidate ...she gives specifics and she actually has answers and plans to help us out econimcally the concept of GREEN COLLAR JOBS is absolutely undeniably brilliant ,and she knows what will bring gas prices down because she UNDERSTANDS how the economy works !!!! if you want help at the gas pump vote HILLARY !!!!

April 28, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  2. fred

I have known that for months. Obama will never win in the General Election!!!

Go Hillary!!!

April 28, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  3. I have spoken

The only way I'll support Hillary is if she overtakes Obama in the pledged delegate count. Any other scenario would be viewed as "stealing" it from Obama, pure and simple.

-Obama-08

April 28, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. OBAMA '08

Whatever! She should have used a better political strategy. Unfortunately, there are more that 5 or 6 states that matter. I think she should understand that you can't use an electoral vote arguement in the primary which is base on deligates. Oh well, too little too late! Obama '08!

April 28, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  5. Allen

Polls are worthless. They're just a media tool to drag out stories. If this contest looks over, there's nothing left to report on. If it looks like Hillary's making a comeback, the news goes on and on.

Most Democrats I know feel that Hillary is closer to GWB than McCain is, and they're leaning towards McCain if there is a Hillary/McCain matchup. I will personally probably vote for a third party because I don't like either one of them.

But, I admit, I think McCain is a more qualified and more trustworthy candidate than Clinton. It's really sad, because I used to really like Bill, but after seeing how they have run this campaign, I can't stand either Clinton. I thought they were above this, but I was wrong.

April 28, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  6. Bernard

What happen to the fact that Hillary went into the Pennsylvania 6 weeks with a 25-35 percent lead and came out with a 9-10 percent lead. How do you measure that. Can you imagine a similar decrease in her lead if Obama had campained in Florida and Michigan.

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. Patrick, Orlando, FL

This is one independent who will vote for McCain, if Hillary is nominated.

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  8. Leonard

Why do people trust this kind of polls at all? The results are only because that the Obama supporters are more mature democratic supporters. Most of these well-educated affluent voters will vote for Democratic anyway. However, Clinton supporters are some narrow-minded idiots, who would threat to vote for McCain in the fall.

BTW, I do not trust this kind of poll at all. I know lots of people like me who will vote for Democratic in November anyway, but they will lie to the poll that they could vote for McCain if their favorite candidate do not get the nomination.

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. WiccanTexan

“The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows John McCain and Barack Obama once again tied, with each attracting 46% of the vote. Four percent (4%) say they would vote for a third party option and 4% are undecided. In a match-up with Hillary Clinton, it’s McCain 47%, Clinton 44%.” In North Carolina, Barack Obama has opened up a twenty-three percentage point lead over Hillary Clinton. The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds that Obama attracts 56% of the vote while Clinton earns 33%. A month ago, Obama’s lead was just seven percentage points.

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  10. JFK

She has what it takes! Period!

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  11. Sallie Mae

Is this the same poll that the Clinton campaign just conducted? Oh, that's what I thought!

OBAMA '08

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. CH

Too bad people can't see real dignity and honesty as positive values in a President. They'd rather cheer for a liar like Hill.

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. AZM

People are seeing the hypocracy that is Obama... and as things continue there will be a larger than 9 Point lead for McCain should Obama get the nomination... which is very unlikely!

No Bama No Way

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. Sharon

Go Hillary!!!!!!!!!!
    The world needs her :)
    Yayyyyy :)

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. sozzi

CNN and the rest of the MSM, are really trying to force feed us a Hillary Clinton presidency. The only poles that really count are on election days, and Obama is leading in total delegates & total votes. PERIOD.

CNN and MSM, please stop feeding the public this fairytail.

When Obama was in the lead in all the poles, we weren't feed that he was the most electable.

April 28, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. kvsmith

These polls must have been taken by Fox News.

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  17. JLW

OMG some of you people amaze me. If Obama's ahead in the polls the polls are great and Hillary needs to drop out. If the polls don't favor him well then poll's just don't matter. They are the same on the changes they wish to make. He is as big of a liar as she is. But she will get my vote because she is the one with the spine to stand up and get things done and if she doesn't get the nomination then I will vote for him because the changes they want to make are virtually identical. Wake up people ALL politicians are liars including your precious Obama but either one of these is preferable to McCain and if you can't see that then you will have only yourselves to blame when McCain wins and we have another 4-8 years of the Bush mess.

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  18. Jason, Grundy, VA

I am a democrat and I wouldn't vote for Hillary if my life depended on it.

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  19. Evelyn from Pembroke Pines, Florida

I think with the worsening economy people are starting to realize we did prosper under the Clinton administration. More young people I know are looking into that and they are researching it and I find many are switching to Clinton. We need a Clinton in there to make it right again. Later on when our country's economy is stable then vote for Obama later on. We can not gamble running our country with someone so new to the system.

CLINTON "08"

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. Jesse

~~

35 years of ghosts in the closet waiting to come out!

Not to mention Bill's problems

...

The way the Dems are going especially the negative Clinton attacks...

Looks like McCain will have a cake walk

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  21. Aces full of Kings

It's going to be impossible to beat McCain without the black vote, or the youth vote, or the white collar vote, Hillary. If you steal the nominee from Obama, this will happen, and you won't have a prayer to defeat McCain. We will stay home, and McCain will win.

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. Dan in CO

I give a different answer every time I'm asked, just to throw them off, and I'm a Democrat.

Lord knows what Republicans do to screw with these polls.

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  23. Unshrub

If Clinton gets the nomination it will be back to voting for the person who will do the less evil. Who will it be, a liar or a fool. It will be a hard choice. All of a sudden Ralph Nadar doesn't look so bad.

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  24. tomdavie

You dont need this article to figure out Obamas lead at all is due to MEDIA HYPE and a better ground team in caucus's.

The actual fact is he wont win the general election because there isnt much behind the surface with Obama.

go to electorialvote.com and see for yourself

Obama is losing to Mc Cain in a general election and Clinton is beating him handily.

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  25. Helene

If this country thinks that the future lies with postmenopausal bidies who hide their feminity under shapeless pantsuits and try to appear more machos than men, so be it !

April 28, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |