April 28th, 2008

Sources: North Carolina governor to back Clinton

North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley.
North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley.

(CNN) – North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley will endorse Hillary Clinton's White House bid, two sources close to the campaign tell CNN.

The endorsement could give the New York senator a boost in the state with one week to go until its crucial May 6 primary. Recent polling suggests Barack Obama currently holds a double-digit lead over Clinton there, though no polls have been released since Clinton’s win in Pennsylvania last week.

Easley is also a superdelegate - one of the party's nearly 800 insiders who will determine which candidate wins the Democratic nomination. Earlier Monday, the Obama campaign announced it had picked up its own superdelegate endorsement, New Mexico Sen. Jeff Bingaman.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. jose

thanks governor obama cant win over mccain thanks in the name of my family

April 28, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  2. GG/NYC

Congratulations, Hillary! Keep on fighting - we are right here behind you. Thank you so much for keeping a determined stance and not giving up. Our country will thank you in January. (I thank you now, but I think it will take the rest of the Obama-philes and the GOP a few extra months ... ;-))

April 28, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  3. Dawn

Thank-you to the governor of North Carolina god bless you, I hope Hillary wins the nomination I am uneasy listening to Obama and Rev. Wright the people who follow him are scary to I had a run in with them at a public library near my home in Pa. I had my grandaughter with me she is only six years old, she was pretty scared, I think the people following him are like a cult some say Obama has an aura around him what kind of a reason is that to vote for someone and where will they be in November to vote, I think the positions they take are more important than all fluff and stuff. I also wanted to say I vacation in the Outer Banks what a beutiful place.

April 28, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. mn mama

just saying- you got that right. Obama is related to Bush. Either way it goes it's some family dynasty. I just have to remember which side of my brain to use when I cling to my guns, religion and have antipathy for those who are not like me.

April 28, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. Junebug

Hillary all the way .......................08.........................................

A Governor that has this right.

April 28, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  6. Fantasia

Great news! Congratulations to Hillary!
    I am sure if we havea new poll from NC, we will see Obama lead sliding and may be even Hillary ahead ! Anyways...I am sure she will WIN the nomination in the end and WIN the presidency!
    Can't wait to see Madam President Hillary Clinton
    Hillary 2008

April 28, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  7. Key West Sun

Folks turn on the news, go to some of the other news channels. Rev Wright has sunk the SS Barrack, and the flea's are going to start jumping off quickly. Man this guy has said to much, way to much for even Obama to distance himself from.

April 28, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  8. Voice of Reason

Guess who is losing the governship next election?

April 28, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  9. Susan MO

Thank you Governor Easley!

Clinton is experienced, for the people, and a fighter.

Hillary Clinton 08 :)

April 28, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  10. Hank in PA

THis is great news.

Liz, you are wrong, total delegate count is what wins the primary. Elected delegates are 80% and super delegates are 20%. This is the system as we have it now. Elected delegates cannot win the election unless they alone make up the 50 percent majority needed to win.

April 28, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  11. Mike

After watching Rev. Wrights speech to the NAACP. I can see why Obama enjoyed his sermons. I am a middle aged white police officer and I found Rev. Wrights speech to be brilliant, insightfull and inspiring. I urge everone to find this speech and listen to it in it's entirety. It will change your mind about this man and turn you off to the intolerant comments of Hillary, McCain, Limbaugh and Beck.

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  12. mitch from ark.

another elitist.

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  13. John

EXCELLENTHE............

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  14. christian

he is not running for re-election. duhhh might as well NOT burn bridges with the clintons since he isn't running for office

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  15. Christopher Webb

She will not make a good presidentt. She lies too much.
    It's time for change we can believe in!!! Obama '08

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  16. Jon

Hahaha ... I love Obama supporters. I love how when someone endorses Obama, it's because they've made a serious, studied, carefully deliberate move. On the other hand, when someone endorses Sen. Clinton, they're either "OLD TIME POLITICIANS", "a clown", "being blackmailed", and other more horrible, things.

The hypocrisy is breathtaking. I hope Obama can take pride in his supporters. The Obama campaign, aka Dukakis/McGovern 2008. Ride with pride, Sen. Obama, ride with pride.

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  17. John Alfred Birdsong

If the Clintons really love working people, they could have gone back to those good working people in Arkansas instead of New York to be close to Wall Street.

There is an old saying, " watch those that run with with the rabbits but buck with the hounds".

Songbird

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. Carol in California

I think the governor of North Carolina is chicken. Look what the Republicans are doing with their Wright ad in that state. He's afraid that he might be part of that ad. That just chicken. Pick a candidate that is losing - wow!

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  19. MARIE

I am so tired of people thinking obama can't win the blue collar worker can someone just call it like it is he can't win the racist vote. Everyone scrathing their head trying to figure out how does he do it. It can't be done there will be racist people until the day we die. Obama was never going to get that vote he could have fire shooting out of his butt and somepeople still will not vote for him. We cant worry about those people they will always vote their BITTERNESS not their situation. So lets talk to the people that are willing to listen. Yes the young and educated they will make the intelligent vote.
    Obama 08

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  20. mario

How much governor how much $$$$$$$$$$

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  21. Illinois voter

After Rev. Wright defined that "change" has something to do with matters of race, there will be a lot more people reconsidering Obama.

BTW, Obama has no more upside since he already has captured over 90% of the black vote. If Hillary wins the nomination, she will get a lot of the black vote back. Afterall, it's not like black voters will support McCain in any meaningful numbers. On the flipside, a significant portion of Hillary's white vote will vote McCain. Sorry Obama supports, but the truth hurts.

Hillary or McCain '08

April 28, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  22. Katherine

Hey YOU FAIL!

I heard this past weekend that John Edwards was sitting this one out. He is not going to endorse either Hillary or Barack.

April 28, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  23. John

This is the example for too good to be true.

April 28, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  24. Ross in MD

Perhaps Easley is tired of his political career?

I suppose he can do whatever he wants, Obama will still win the nomination.

April 28, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |