April 28th, 2008

Sources: North Carolina governor to back Clinton

North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley.
North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley.

(CNN) – North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley will endorse Hillary Clinton's White House bid, two sources close to the campaign tell CNN.

The endorsement could give the New York senator a boost in the state with one week to go until its crucial May 6 primary. Recent polling suggests Barack Obama currently holds a double-digit lead over Clinton there, though no polls have been released since Clinton’s win in Pennsylvania last week.

Easley is also a superdelegate - one of the party's nearly 800 insiders who will determine which candidate wins the Democratic nomination. Earlier Monday, the Obama campaign announced it had picked up its own superdelegate endorsement, New Mexico Sen. Jeff Bingaman.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Paulo

Go Hillary -she is our only choice if we want to win the general elections and truly make the changes that we need.

April 28, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  2. Venus

Good for you Hillary! She won't leave too disgrace!

Go Obama! Next stop - John Edwards!

April 28, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  3. Rom

Good for her !!!
    Now, instead of losing NC by a margin of 17 points next week, she will lose by a margin of 16 points, BIG DEAL!!! right?

Welcome to titanic my friend, I hope you know swimming !!!

April 28, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  4. Shannon

GO HILLARY, keep pushing for that debate and ask Mr Obama why he voted for the Cheney Energy bill, we're paying 3.60 a gallon for gasoline, and he gave big oil huge tax breaks. I guess record profits weren't enough, what did big oil promise Obama, that question needs to be answered. Keep your politics of hope and change, it's a joke!

April 28, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  5. A. Harrison

Yay Hillary, Someone is thinking BIG in North Carolina. Let's keep this going, she will get this Country back to where we need to be.

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  6. Daniel Stevens

My hope is that Obama supporters turn out in droves. That is the best possible answer! We must put this away! I am getting frustrated with what seems like playing it safe or running out the clock.

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. simon

Thank you Governor Easley for endorsing Hillary, a candidate whom he truly believes in to be our commander in chief. He could've gone the Richardson's road of betrayals but he chose not to... I am proud of you Governor Easley.

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  8. Mike

THANK YOU for listening people of North Carolina.

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  9. Obama land

NC is Obama Land. Time for Sen. Edwards to throw his support to Obama. If Sen. Edwards endorses Obama at this time, it will be a very good thing for the democrats.

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  10. Diane M.

I wonder what the Clinton's have on him.

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  11. Matt

Excellent! And with Elizabeth Edwards already indicating she prefers Hillary's healthcare plan over Obama's, she and John won't be far behind Governor Easley.

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  12. Too Little Too Late

It's over for Hillary. I would rather have someone honest (even if their wrong) versus someone who looks me in my face and lies. Hillary is a BIG LIER and I can never, ever trust what she's says. She lost me big time when she lied. How can people support dishonesty. Give me a break.

Obama '08

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  13. Defining moment

Talk about being out of touch ... this governor just sealed the fate of his political carrer. Why would you want to hop unto a sinking ship.

This movement cannot be stopped, sooner or later the Clintonistas will realize that this great nation is moving forward and embracing a brighter future.

OBAMA ' 08

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. Dusacre

Ouch!

April 28, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  15. granforchange

I agree with George !! Shame on The Governor... How about John Edwards???? I still think Obama will carry North Carolina. I know North Carolina will do the Right Thing and Vote for Obama !!! I also also agree with the Raleigh Young Voter, the Governor is in the Minority there !!!! GO OBAMA ! YOU CAN DO IT!! OBAMA 08

April 28, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. Ivan, Schiff

If Clinton wins Indiana, wins or comes close a single digit lose in North Carolina what does that do to the Democratic Primary?
    I believev that the superdelegates go to Hillary, with the knowledge that Obama can not win in November.

April 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  17. Ron

What happened? Sen Bill Richardson are you going to say this is also not important. Well done Sen.

Go Hillary Go!!! The people are finally realizing that there is only speaches out there and nothing else.

April 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Independent

Probably the Clintons have using their $109 Million made over the past 6 years to buy the governors in Pennsylvania, former governor in Indiana and now in North Carolina. People are smarter that what she thinks. The AMerican people know who tells the truth. It's time for people to come together & vote for Obama. It's time for Sen. Edwards to endorse Obama, because they both share a lot in common than Clintons.

April 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  19. The American People

Welcome to the losing team

April 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. LINDA,FL

Shame on You, Mike.

It is a shame to back Phony Dirty Clintons.

She will fool You also, no matter what This Monster promised.
    Shame on You, Mike

April 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. No, please no!

Welllll Gov Easley, not that it matters to you, but you will not be getting my vote for any office again! How you can support someone corrupt like this, is beyond belief! I hope to God, that John Edwards does not follow you down that path. It goes to show you what a lying, piece of corruption gets for all her wiles. Make's me sick at heart, to think what we have come to, in these United States. I respect Senator Obama's decision NOT to debate her again, after all the crud she has thrown at him. HRC, please go home to wherever that may be. I dread the day "they" might get back into office, and continue all their lies and misdealings, misspeaks, cover-ups, etc. Race has nothing to do with this. It's all the baggage she has hauled around with her that no one seems to want to expose. If she gets the nomination, I should hope that McCain will dig it all up. I would never vote for her if she was the "last man standing!" Someone who would annihilate another country, is not someone we want in office as President.

April 28, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  22. Jo

Again the Obama people are crying racists when someone doesn't support their candidate. Governor Easley has the right and the obligation to support the candidate he thinks will win in November. Isn't it amazing that an Obama super delegate is enlightened and the Clinton Super Delegate is a bigot.

Thanks Governor Easley..... Hillary 08

April 28, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Linda Puri

Wolf
    Why you bring Governor on the show he speak so stupid and does not have any strait answer of any of your question.
    He is so stupid keep on saying the Brock Husain Obama will bring the change I do not know what change Brock Husian Obama will bring with his religous adviser rev j Right.
    NO OBAMA
    NO OSAMA

April 28, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  24. Tyler in Raleigh, NC

Well, that settles it.... I know who I WILL NOT VOTE for as Governor.

Everyone else that is happy about this and doesn't live in NC.... oh well. He will lose a lot of support now because NC knows better than to fall for the Clinton lies.

We do not need pandering and "experience" here, we want people that have more than a fake smile and a cackle.

April 28, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  25. SBvoter

Good choice Governor-You know Hillary can do the job. Obama drop out so we can get to work and win in November.
    HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08HILLARY 08

April 28, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |