April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. DW

I am so tired of this! It is so ridiculous, the Rev is not Obama!!! To agree with D'Anne Let it go!!

2. Jason in Denver

As someone who works with HIV patients on a daily basis, I am saddened and concerned by Wright's remarks.

Yes – Obama needs to get this loon out of his hair...but I can't believe that this is the first time in 20 years he's ever heard Wright make comments like this.

This confirms my support for Hillary even further.

3. Stephen

It's nice to know that Obama's "excellent judgement" is only about 2 months behind the rest of America

4. vegage

I want to hear Obama explains why he chose to stay in that church for more than 20 years with a pastor that was expelling out of his mouth so much hate and inflammatory comments. I want Obama to explain in more details why he was a friend of a leader of a terrorist group. My God, these things are just coming out and the American people needs to know more about Obama's past. These are very troubling things that needs to be discussed and clarified. I bet that if these comments were made public before the Iowa caucus we would not have this close election because Hillary would be already the nominee. If Obama wins the nomination Republicans are going come after him with all these things and will smash him, he will loose to McCain.

5. KevinP

Look........Obama is still a good person and the best nominee. People need to learn how to let thins go. Everyone knows that the pastor was not lying when he said what he said. I don’t want to be stuck with another Bush or another Clinton. Rev. Wright is completely entitled to his rights to speak freely….me personally I think he’s right, but some don’t, that still shouldn’t reflect Obama. We are still with you brother.
    Obama '08

6. Kevin

Great, now lets talk about real issues in this race other than this manufactured contriversy that McHillary dreamed up and force fed to the media.

7. PK

Somewhere in a dark musty cave, Rove is sharpening his fangs.

8. Neutral

Frankly Obama, he was your pastor for 20 YEARS and CAMPAIGNER until THREE WEEKS AGO! Don't tell us you haven't heard those anti- white, anti-America words he had spoken!

"You can fool people some of the time, but not all the time."

9. michelle

Now I hope the nation is happy and lets move on to the ISSUES!
    I voted today in the early voting in North Carolina for Senator Obama and am looking to the presidential election to vote for him again !

10. jUSt Read This

It is like these people and the news media is on CRACK one denounciation is too many and a thousand is not enough. my goodness enough of this already.

Talk about the trail that hillary is facing she and Bill now thats a legitmate topic and discussion, talk about mccain and how he went after a pastor bishop haggi what ever he was his views wasn't to far off.

This is the only thing the news media can use to spin and manipulate voters. The rest of you sit back and wait for stuff like this cause you had no intentions of voting for this man anyway. How You chose to overlook make excuses and accept the lies and bad behavior of your choice of candidated is beyond me.

When you know you are trying to put a liar in the whitehouse you know it and to act as though it is okay maybe they will change after you put them there is pure ludicracy.

11. Hunt

Obama should have denounced his pastor a long time ago and probably won the PA primary. That would have ended Hillary's objectives from gaining access to the WH at all price.

12. Dale Harapat

The fires of controversy over this matter are being stirred by Republicans hungry to face Clinton, now that they have
    a crafty, young, fresh oponent. With the falling value of the dollar,
    the housing crisis, the quagmire known as Iraq, I guess the
    Wright issue is more important than the atrophy in America.
    Let's not forget the destruction of constitutional rights that
    have been thwarted in the name of the evil boogieman terrorists
    and to the benefit of a growing grab of power by America's judiciary.
    Its time to move ahea.

13. chris hollingsworth

It is clear that Obama is destined to be the next President so the attacks keep coming head on!! Barack Obama is the change that this country needs. Hilary Clinton needs to concede for heaven's sake! She is LOSING! what a delusional woman. Rev. Wright is power hungry and folks just need to LET IT GO!!!!!

Obama 2008! You've got my vote!

14. jigsaw

Jesus Christ, get off this issue! Soldiers are dying in Iraq, the VA is covering up 12,000 vet suicides every year, gas is going up to $10 a gallon in 5 years, there are more important issues to talk about!

15. S Stewart

When Obama said that the world was watching to see what America would do during the election, he was correct. The world is tired of watching the press focusing on Rev.Wright when he is clearly not running for President. We want to see more of Obama!!!

16. LA in Seattle

Thank you Barack for setting the record straight. You still have our loyal and committed support. Now let's put this behind us and stay focused on the issues at hand and the task at hand: getting you the nomination. YES WE CAN!