April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. MGBYG

Hey, CNN...grow a pair and put up the video of the FOX military spokesman that Reverend Wright was quoting with the "Chicken's coming home to roost" thing. He was repeating what was said on FOX. Imagine why FOX is not show THAT snippet.

I thought CNN and FOX were competitors...when did Murdoch buy CNN? (snark)

2. Sean

Anyone who watched his speech can tell how difficult it was to do what he did. This is a person he has considered a friend for 20 years, and now he has to remove himself from that relationship. And on top of that, he has to do it in front of the public eye. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

3. Brattt

Go Barack, go! Hope after this the media will STOP PUTTING THAT CLOWN Rev Wr in the news! Shame on media... Don't you see that Obama has nothing to do with such OLD black traditions? Did you forget that Obama is HALF black and HALF white? Stop playing the race card against him, because when you, media, attack Barack – you insult me, a WHITE woman, as well.

4. Tobias

Obama's a baffoon and a vote for him is a vote for the Republicans. He is unqualified to be president and now he is completely unelectabel. His outrage comes way too late. It is time to vote smart and vote Clinton.

5. dee, tx

You're talking about a man who has to breaks ties with his pastor. Someone that despite how he acted on Monday has done some great works in the city of Chicago....I'm sure Obama is deeply hurt by this.

6. TAHARI in CT 4 OBAMA

Looking at Rev. Wright I had to wonder whether he had some resentment toward Obama. There is a plague of jealousy SOMETIMES between black males that has been unsettled for generations. Another discussion we need to have. I wonder if we can clear the court room for that one... As an African American woman, this is something I would normally keep "in house" but it frustrated me to see the same cycle of black on black implosion.

I am an three day a week Apostolic Church goer. My black church was NOT attacked in the media Dr. Wright.

Only you.

Obama 08'

7. Walter

Good move Obama! The sooner you ditch this delusional imaginary friend hack, the better. Now, if you could just deal the final humiliation to Billary Blowhard, we can get on with electing the next leader of the United States.

8. Matthew

A conspiracy in the fold to keep an African American out of the White House. I am a 40 year old caucasion and I find that the media is over playing this non issue. Obama is for unity, not the divise crap that has been spewing from Hillary and the media. I am sick and disgusted.

9. melikeyhill

Obama thank you throwing this evil ,hate filled man under the bus!!!! please never return this church!!!! Rev wright is a very selfish man!

10. Ed Geth

I agree with Reverend Wright, but Obama's got to keep the distance because ignorant people far outnumber people who get it..

11. Veronica

SHAME
    I AGREE WITH YOU 100 %!!

12. bobb dobbs

It's hard to believe that Obama is sincere. Why only after 20 years?

13. ROBIN

BS Obama is outraged at Wright’s comments. Obama is a LIAR people!!! If you vote him as president, you all are asking for trouble. How can he be a member of this church for over 20 years and not know about Wright’s beliefs? Obama is just upset that the nation knows of his beliefs (Remember Obama’s wife’s comments?). You people need to wake up. PLEASE!!!

14. Lorna, NY

Now, can we just focus on the skyrocketing gas prices??? I am completely sick and tired of Wright. Is this all the Republicans have against Obama?

15. White male for Obama

wow,, a fall out at least.
    Obama was really upset at his formal pastor.

Will the black community agree with him or disagree.
    Obama has shown his emotion very disapointed.

wow.. Wright really upset Obama to the point that he no longer want anything to do with Wright.

will the black people join Obama or disagree with Obama.

God Bless America.

16. Arkansas Undertaker

Senator Obama,

I think this is the only thing you could do. Rev. Wright has made himself a one man wrecking crew with little or no regard for you your family or your campaign.

This is why I know that you will be an excellent President. God Bless you, your family and your campaign for tghe White House.

Obama 2008

17. McCain08

yeah right..he baptized his children and married him to his wife. you can run Obama but you can't hide anymore.

18. Pat

Yeah, sure, like I'm going to believe that Rev. Wright has suddenly become a different person than the 20 years Obama has been in his church. Nice try Obama, those who are smart are able to see through your lies.

19. precious

Senator Obama was very weak in this conference today. I do not care about his feelings with the Pastor, but I cared about how he represents himself in certain situation. And to my surprise, he was very weak. He was not firm!

20. Independent

Good for Obama. Now can everyone get over it?

You know, Wright may be getting senile now – people can change dramatically as they get older and maybe that is happening here. That could be a reason why Obama wasn't aware of all of his pastor's more inflammatory statements – maybe they were few and far between before and now all of a sudden Wright has gone off the deep end.

21. PT

Barack and his family have obviously been very hurt by this pastor emotionally & politically as well. Think about it. His pastor is an idiot trying to make MLK status. This will never happen. I hope the media drops Wright on his head & kicks him to the curb. Do NOT give Wright anymore attention

22. Yes for Obama

Clintons pastor from her white house days voiced support for wright.

AMAZING!!

23. R.Gurely

NOW YOU CNN,FOX,MSNBC, LEAVE IT ALONE, GIVE IT A BREAK, MOVE ON,GET OVER IT, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Political Junkie

I have tried to keep an open mind about Senator Obama and this issue. He has now flip flopped so much, he makes Senator Kerry look decisive. I can no longer support him and I think others will see it that way. Every week it is something new with him. I now think, after very long soul searching, he is not electable. I do not now think I can vote for him if he is the nominee.

25. R.Gurely