April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. kathy in ohio

I think we all need to step back and take a time out . Lets see if his words will follow by action. The problem is the character of many people in his life are questionable. His speach again is not going to explain it away this time.

April 29, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. christine

I like obama because he tells the truth he does not hide away from the truth he comes out as president and he does that by telling the truth abd the media need to move on talk about better issues

April 29, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. Tom

Once again a great job by Obama in dealing with a tough situation. If these are the only problems he has in his closet I am not to worried. McCain would eat Bill and Hillary alive with all of the shady stuff in their past. Obama is just to much of a man to do it to her now.

4. Ed

Come on, in twnenty years he had never heard the crazy stuff coming out of Wright's mouth. I find that hard to believe. We can't trust this man as President. Go Hillary!!!

5. Terry

It was a Hillary supporter who arranged the press conference with Rev Wright.
    Clintons pastor just got arrested for fondling a seven year old child. I guess we shoud judge the Clintons because of that.
    I will never vote for Hillary. A month ago I would have but she is a disgrace. So is the media. If she wins the primary then I am staying home on election day.

6. Mish

No one but the press and media have spiralled this out of control
    Seantor Obama has been negatively type cast for weeks now over Rev Wright and a miss -spoken blunder and I
    find it completely unfair
    Go out and dig some negative news up on MCsame or Clinton
    like Hillarys upcoming trial with peter paul or her so called alleged affair with Huma Abedin
    The media is bordering on racism the way they choose to constantly negatively type cast Senator Obama
    Good luck Senator Obama, lets hope the voters unlike the media do not have tunnel vision when it comes to Rev wright or you the first black man in history who may well be the next President
    I am a Canadian but I would feel *honored* to be able to vote for you!!

7. Rick, Centennial, CO

Rock on Obama. Stand your ground and defend yourself and do what is right. I may or may not vote for you but I respect you standing your ground.

8. Ron

All the OBAMA ites patting him on the back for "coming out". Johnny come lately say I. Is the so called good JUDGEMENT candidate going to exercise the same judgement in selecting his advisors as he did his Pastor? Will he wait till he has no choice and it is politically expedidious to then out them as well? HE IS A TYPICAL POLITICIAN – HE HAS YOU ALL FOOLED!

9. DM in Philly

I guess Obama isn't always "right the first time" – he sure seemed to be wrong in choosing his church (with this pastor that is). I would think that after knowing someone 20 yrs, you would know enough about them to know that they are capable of stooping to this level. Too bad Obama's "good judgement" didn't kick in as fast as he proclaims – perhaps this wouldn't have been so devestating to his campaign. Rev Wright is sickening and is yet another contributing factor towards the struggle to equality in men. There will never be true equality as long as their is someone on either side pointing out the differences.

10. Carrie Good Eagle Hayden, Idaho

I have sent this several times but CNN refuses to address this issue. What about John McCain accepting the indorsement of that bigot Hagee, who thinks in his demented mind that God caused Katrina to punish people in New Orleans. CNN HELLO!
    I support OBAMA 100% and I am a senior citizen

11. sazzylady in Indiana

TOO LITTLE , TOO LATE

12. David Goldman for OBAMA

WE ARE TRULY TIRED OF JEREMIAH WRIGHT.

HE CAN JOIN REAGAN FOR ALL I CARE.

I HAD NO INTENTION OF EVER VOTING

FOR HIM BEFORE OR NOW.

13. Sherralyn

I really find it hard to believe that after 20 years, the pastor is only showing his true colors now. People show their true colors on a daily basis. I think the American people should be wary of a man who belonged to a church for so many years that has a pastor speaking this way. This cant be the first time...

14. carl d

Now after that speech he made if your not sold on Obama concerns for his country, then you werent gonna vote for him anyway. the bottom line is that there may not be a Obama as the next president. but there certainly will not be another clinton.

15. Paul

Obama is a politician and Wright is a Pastor. Obama needs to say what politician say .. he still believes in what Wright tells.

20 years listening to this pastor is enough for disqualify him from representing all people of America. Please step down for the sake of democratic party.

16. nicole

Lets get back to the issues folks...I find it funny that no one has mentioned Hillary's former Pastor is a child molester...hummmm??

17. Craig

What did FDR say? To paraphrase. . ."When I'm taking flak from big buisness, I know I am doing something right". Go Obama.

18. GO CNN

Obama,

You are a lier. To get elected you will lie some more. We can see through you. Just step down. we don't need you.

19. Victoria

I seriously believe that the connection between Clinton and Wright is deeper than we thought. Why else would he continue to come out and make statements that would hurt someone he supposedly loves? He is just one more Clinton supporter who is doing his best to get her nominated.

20. Bit`

Yes you can, Obama....Alabama loves you!

21. Dave

Jeremiah Wright = Hillary's best supporter.

22. PFMinTN

somebody remind me
    how long did he sit in church again?

23. Brian

This is a great man and one that would makes many of us proud to be Americans again.
    OR
    We can go back to the Clinton drama, the HUGE lies, the taking of money behind closed doors and the sexual antics that befit teenagers acting out. Please folks, no more impeachments, disbarment from the legal world, lies and drama.

24. Lillian Lee

Reverand Wright is an indication of what blacks refer to as the "crabs in a barrel syndrome." He is an angry jealous man who does not like not being in the limelight. Instead of sittin' down and shuttin' up, he has decided to pull Barak down, like a crab in the barrel. I am an African American female and too often it is said that we can sometimes be our own worst enemy. It is too bad that someone like Barak Obama has fallen victim to this oh so sad situation that happens when selfish people feel like they have been wronged.

25. Tootie from Cleveland, Ohio

If I were Obama I would be outraged too. Rev. Wright has a mental
    problem and should be committed to an institution. When Rev.
    Wright hears Obama has denounced him he is really going to try
    and bury Obama.