April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Steven Adkins

Looks like Obama is taking Karl Rove's advice seriously. Thats interesting.

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. KEVIN IN GEORGIA

HE HAS SAID HE IS NOT THE SAME GUY HE WAS TWENTY YEARS AGO! LET IT GO! HE HAS MY VOTE AS WELL AS THE POPULAR VOTE. HRC IS NOT THE ANSWER. SHE WANTS TO USE NUCLEAR WEAPONS ON IRAN. WE ALREADY HAVE TO WARS GOING ON. SHE WANTS TO START WWIII. NOT TO MENTION THE YOUNG VOTE WOULD BE IN JEOPARDY AND BLACK VOTE SO IMPORTANT TO THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY........HRC + NOMINATION=MCAIN IN 2009 FOR PRESIDENT.

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  3. Darlene

Just as the Bad Reverend Wright has already stated: "Politicians say what they have to, when they have to".

Obama was forced to do this just like the 'race speech' or his candidancy would be over!

Obama has a lack of judgement.....he's not all that smart about the company that he keeps....period!

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. Tx4HILLARY

How do you sit in a church for 20 yrs listening to similar rhetoric from this pastor, call him a 'spiritual advisor" for your campaign, then throw him under the bus when it gets too 'heated'?

Rev. Wright now refers to Obama as a "politician", which is expressly what Obama has been touting he is NOT for several months now.

Methinks Obama will pander to whatever he has to to appease the American public.

I, for one, am relieved that this primary has lasted so long, as many have opened their eyes to who Sen. Obama really is and what he believes in.

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. Sad Democrat

I'm tired of the rev. wright, the dnc, hillary clinton, and the media. I think it's getting to be a tiredsome bunch. The same hate was shown to Martin King by trying a say he was a communist. America needs to wake up and choose their life and liberty over what the rich is trying to mislead you to believe. And while i agree with rev.wright and most honest people would too, it's time for barack to get his message out, because americans need help.

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. Billy

Man, I know FOX and the Right are gonna spin this in some 20 year mumble jumbo - but its this simple:

Obama is trying to run for President and Wright tried to kill his candidancy yesterday (Monday).

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. D. Daniels Jr.

Since we are critical on Rev. Wright, Let show all the candidates pastors. Hillary Clinton's pastor, John McCain's too! Let's have a fair playing field here. Obama did a fine job on exampling his position with Wright. Can we get this election right this time? Let's not fall into the same mess as the last eight years.

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Jamaal Kansas

Barack keep going we believe you it is just the Hilary supporters and the Mcshame supporters trying to take you down

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  9. Josalyn

This just shows how inept he will be, how much we do not know about Obama. He is not electable. He cannot beat McCain. Hillary can.

April 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  10. Uplift

Obama demonstrated his capacity and competency with sound logic and a heartfelt demeanor on this twisted discourse. It was obvious he would like to go ballistic but he remained a leader and presidential. Those in this discussion who accuse him of lying have no evidence as such but do reveal their own affinity or expertise with lying. Hillary and Bill could never be so candid. Notice not one cackle or finger pointing during the press conference.

11. obama, obama, obama

obama, you is toast!!!!

time to say good bye

or do you have some more people you would like to throw under the bus?

12. Dee

Sen. Obama, I am with you all the way to the whitehouse. Enough of these distractions already. C,mon Indiana and NC.

13. Eileen

Sorry, Obama, too little too late for me. I've changed parties to vote for Hilliary – you go girl!!!

14. Becky in Indiana

Now this is the Obama I want to see. I have already early voted for Obama and I urge others to do the same.

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!!

15. Dave M

First he trashed his "Typical White Person" Grandmother, now its his "Crazy Uncle" Mentor/Minister. Who's next, his wife? This guy will stop at nothing!!

Not a Hillary Fan.

16. McCain 08

Obama,

You made me very proud today. Very Proud. If I were a democrat, I would vote for you.....You will make a GREAT President...

17. Greg

I cannot wait for this man to be my President!

Obama 08!

18. jan.

Obama will say whatever it takes to try and get the nomination – even sacrificing his relationship with his minister of 20 years. We cannot allow Obama to reach the oval office. The DNC big wigs better get on their knees until they figure this mess out and nominate Hillary Clinton. At least she doesn't carry the kind of baggage Obama does.

19. Henry

This is just the tip of the iceberg...take stock in what this wacko Wright says b/c that is what the real Obama is all about.

20. hillbilly

The Dems can kiss the general goodbye! And I am a Democrat.

21. E. R. Jordan

I hope Senator Clinton lets go of the "Rev. Wright Thing". She of all people should be Obama's biggest empathizer–she knows how it feels to be betrayed by someone you love and admire.

22. dave desmond

I'm for Hillary, However, this Wright issue has been put to rest by our opponent. MEDIA!!!! CNN!!!! LET IT REST PLEASE!! Thank you.
    Hillary 08!

23. Hoosier Values

Amen, Airborne!

24. Yea Right

Obama underestimated the Rev Wright's huge ego, Too bad, I still like Obama, but I can see where he might lose now.

25. steve

That seals it for me. How could a man spend twenty years with a person who he invited into his home and socialized with all of a sudden turn against him simply because it suits him. He cannot tell me that for twenty years he did not hear these same words before and still sat in his pew. I can no longer trust Obama therefore my full support is going to Hilliary Clinton.