April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Airborne

Good Job Obama. I am with you..and I will vote for you..certainly not /never for Hillary the Bosnia warrior

April 29, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  2. Independent

I applaud Obama. I think Wright just wants attention.

April 29, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. laura, CA

He is waaay off message.

April 29, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. Lisa

You guys are so cynical and probably racist. You will reap what you sow and so will he.

April 29, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  5. Diing

Give Obama a break!

April 29, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  6. D'Anne

Please people....

How can we think this is still an issue? We have two options: We can either VOTE FOr Obama or Not Vote for Obama. Either way can we LET THIS GO! LET IT Go!

Oh My God, I can't stand this! Please, LET IT GO! LET IT GO! LET IT GO!

April 29, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  7. Dal

Lets look at the ex Pastor of Clintons as well and see what he did and she did not condemn that action at all.

April 29, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Grif

Get off you're Knee's, Castro...

April 29, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  9. Kathryn CLine

The news media should be chastised for giving this retired minister a bully pulpit for his anger. This is irrelevant to what voters care about. His views have no effect on the economy, health care, securing jobs, global warming, foreign policy.

We don't care but the media keeps this story alive...This man and his views is not germane to how we need to address the world's problems. Barack Obama is not his minister's keeper.!!!

10. Beverly

Can we please for the love of GOD give this a rest now. The Rev had his say now its over. If the media would not following him around no one would care where he was speaking. Barack this needs to be the last your comment on this matter as well, do not feed the beast. Those folks black or white who think you should have left the church were not going to vote for you anyway. It just makes them feel better to have an excuse no matter how flimsy to prove why you are not ready. Brush it off.

11. sweetinspiration

Go Obama! I understand your frustration with Rev. Wright and I agree that he is posturing and vying for attention. He should have been proud to have one of his parishioners running for President, instead he is running to have Obama obliterated by the media.

12. Sam Taveras

Good job by Obama. Wish this wasn't an issue at all... Obama should not be responsible for what other people say. Wright is not running for president... Obama is.

13. DCER

What a liar! You knew him for 20 years, buddy!

GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Phillip

Let's me get this straight. First, he denounces Wright but says Wright is entitled to his views. Now, at the National press Club Wright repeats the same things as in his previous sermons and obama claims to be "outraged." Hmmmm. Wright is well, right, Obama you're guilty of political "posturing." You should have separated yourself long ago,

You drank the poison, now deal with the effects.

15. DJ, LA, CA

Last time I checked Wright was not a politician, nor running for office?
    As long as the media is dumb enough to keep reporting and giving him FREE coverage...of course he will remain in the spotlight.

This is why religion needs to be kept out of politics, or the media will keep dwelling on trivial issues that have absolutely nothing to do with policy or even viewpoints.

Just because someone goes to the same Church as you, speaks with you or is even your friend...does not mean that one automactically shares the same views.

Why is Wright even allowed to speak to the media? Who cares?

16. D'Anne

Please, Please, Please...

Oh My God, I can't stand this! Please, LET IT GO! LET IT GO! LET IT GO!

17. Bill

Here goes the typical OBAMA spin, spin, spin, spin. But, now maybe his pastor can tell us who OBAMA REALLY IS . HMMMM ?? I am sure his pastor has big time Dirt on OBAMA that will somehow leak out to the media. Good Job OPERATION CHAOS !!

THE BUCKEYE STATE FOR HILLARY 90 %

18. sally

and after THIS speech obama and rev. wright will get together and "pray in the basement" together... birds of a feather, birds of a feather...

will the media and his followers fawn again at his feet? LOL.

19. Mike

Your race speech and this is political posturing...

It is very obvious that you did not want to do either but felt like you were forced to because it could ruin your chances to become president!!!

20. slinkymalinky

I guess not all black men are different from white men, as Wright suggests...

21. PLJ

Barack Please Distance yourself from this man. it may be something you would have to give thought to, but he is a thorn in your side right now, and he is concerned about no one but himself, as if he is intentionally trying to cost you to lose this election.

He is setting you up, maybe there is some jealousy or somthing going on.......

22. Rachel

Your pastor was right about several things on you saying what a politician has to say, so please stop trying to pretend you are above it all you are a typical politican.

23. Jason, Omaha

I'm so sick of the media giving jeremiah wright all this attention.

Shame on CNN, you're creeping closer and closer to Fox News status.

If you're not airing Wright's stupid speeches all day, you're talking about it, or else you're talking about how it's sad that he media is giving him all this attention (which in itself is just giving him more attention).

Does anyone notice that we're still at War?

24. kid

I think he's definitely being a politician now. I will still vote for him because the other choices are so much worse. But I don't see him as being as honorable as I saw him yesterday.

25. Obama? No!

Obama!--The No.1 Liar in this century!

No obama at all!!!!