April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Tori

This is really getting old. We cannot blame Obama for what Wright said or how he feels. All I can say is at least he didnt lie like some people!!!!

2. Al Ware

Sen. Obama has to be given credit for facing problems and controversial issues head on. I applaud what he did today. Although the Rev. Wright issue is being exploited for political reasons and also for t.v. ratings, I as a black american was offended by his words and tone yesterday in his speech. I fully support Sen. Obama and will vote for him as president. He is exactly what this country needs right now. I hope CNN will bring to attention the racist/offensive words/speeches used/given by Pat Buchannon and Newt Ginrich!

Obama "08"

3. L Griffith

I just love to hear all the Clintonites and Republicans whimper and whine. It's over, folks. Obama has already won. But, please, keep on crying and hoping. It's great fun to watch.

4. Anonymous

California: Elitist comments in Pennsylvania, this pastor who he supported for 15 years. Barak was always a bubble - seems he's bursting too soon.

5. Sam, Grand Prairie TX

Senator Obama – Rev. Wright. SEE those names are different! Let it go people. Obama 08!

6. Kathy

It's sad that he has to speak against this person at every corner he approaches. I think that Rev. Wright is using this to aid himself with as much media coverage as he can muster up. No one fully agrees with this Nut Case (any RACE) – so he just wants to remain in the spotlight because he feels that something is owed to him – Sen. Obama gave his share every Sunday in his offerings!
    So... let's not keep wasting our time on this Nonsense & let's get to McCain in November.

7. RKL

Obama will prevail!
    What a world we live in.
    Let's go one more time to Hillary's past.
    OMG!

8. Rav

Hillary would have handled it better becasue she has no soul. She would Chelsea hanging if it meant she won.

9. Suz

To all the Hillary supporters, please! How many skeletons do the Clintons have in their closets? They lie cheat and steal to get what they want. This issue with Obama is a non-issue. I can see his reluctance in speaking out against a former friend, but am glad that he has taken action after what Wright said this week.

10. Sarah B. Columbia, MS

I know the Clinton's are sitting back and enjoying this spectacle. They thrive in chaos and confusion. If America falls for this BS with Wright and judge Senator Obama on this... then they will justly deserve what they get: high inflation, unemployment and failing infrastructure.
    Maybe if CNN gets together and supply the rope mabye MSNBC wil supply the tree.
    DENIAL is killing this country!!1

11. Casy

This is WAYYYYYYY to late and all Obama did was open up another can of worms. I can't wait to hear Wright's response OR people coming forth to support Wright and show proof that Obama has in fact, embraced many of Wright's views and I bet there is footage showing Obama in church while Wright was preaching the controversial things he was preaching!

I think we are about to see a split within the black community. Obama versus Wright! I am sure Wright is not going to take this sitting down!

12. I used to be a Democrat

Politicians will say anything to get elected... and Obama is just another Politcian.

You supported Rev. Wright for 20 YEARS, Obama. You can't get away from him now.

Obama is Wright.

13. Frank

Too late, too short! But of course we have a lot of people who will still be fooled by Obamamania and follow the herd!!! It is truely shameful to see so many ignorant folks in this country who have no clue what is right or wrong for our country and our nation. We clearly need to go back and see where we have failed to correctly educate our folks, and this goes back to elementary, highschool and college education in this country!!!

14. Helen NC

WOW it just took 20 years !!!

15. jaxon

The man has to stop pee'ing on our leg and telling us it is raining! He implies he just learned of the conspiracy theory on aids??? Who does he think he is talking to? That is one of the"looped" sermons.
    He was accruate on one thing - he didn't get fed up until he was disrespected when Wright told it as I see it - he says what he has to as a pol to get elected. Are we supposed to believe that last night in Wilmington he hadn't seen the press club bits, or the NAACP speech. Except for some added arrogance, he was the same man I saw in those sermons - he mocks, he gyrates (Clinton riding them dirty), he mugs, he screams. Barack just saw someone different at the press club?

It was my understanding that Obama had called , at some point or in his book, Wright his spriitual advisor/mentor. Wasn't there something like that in the title of the group of mimisters he put together with Wright on it, also? Will someone in the media please track this down.

16. Kevin

Oh, this is the pastor that he knew for 20 years and wrote a book about based on his beliefs. Give us a break Obama. This is just the same old politics

17. soulkat

i am saddened that the media's continuous negative spotlight on rev.dr.jeremiah wright has outshone his 40 years of accomplishments in the chicago community. i am further deeply saddened that all the media spotlight has caused obama to choose presidency over his pastor- a man with whom a 20 year relationship flourished. that should not have ever been a choice. i am now in a deep dilemna, 'cause the man that i thought stood with conviction and dignity has now become a coward to the media. should i pick a man who crumbles under immense media scrutiny or pick a woman who i cannot trust to tell the truth, even if God himself were in the room with her. Where is Al Gore when we need him!?

18. Olivier

Everytime somthing is coming in america, americans tend to be self destructives

19. Carol

At least when Hillary lied about Bosnia, she went on the ABC debate and apologized... That's the smart thing to do...
    Obama on the other hand is still trying to make excuses! He lied, and now he finally got caught!

20. Mark From Hollywood

Hil LIAR y will never get my vote. Obama is a leader, not a liar.

21. Curtis, Overland Park, KS

Birds of a fleather, flock together. Do not believe that Obama had no idea what was going on ALL this time.

Oh ye of little faith who are protecting and defending Obama. How blind can ye be? He is a wolf in sheep's clothing. And now he has been explsed for the liar he is.

He is a bigot and a racist. He has thrown his own (white) grandmother under the bus and now his pastor.

Thank the one true God that he has now been exposed. I WILL vote for Hillary, but if FACIST Obama gets the Democratic nod, I will vote for McCain.

22. G

Good Job O, after weeks of minimalizing him, and his continued egomaniacal rantings. You finally decided he was costing you votes. First fire your PR person, second flush that nomination down the toilet. The individuals in denial here have your back. Or are they just going down with the captain?

O you are a politicain, deflect and deny, until you have no choice. Sounds like your buddy Bill!

April 29, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  23. HEIDI

Today, I understand the position Sen Obama was placed in. I watched Rev Wright's speech with the NAACP on Sunday evening. I applauded him because a lesson was learned for myself and many others I suppose. Rev. Wright is a scholar with great intelligence, however he made a grave mistake with yesterday comments during the press conference.

Thank you Sen. Obama ....we can now move forward. Something you loose friends alone the way.

Heidi
    Charlotte, NC

April 29, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  24. The Dude

Now this issue can officially be SQUASHED. We know where Obama stands on Wright, and now I want to hear more coverage of the Iraq War, The Economy, and Oil.

Obama '08!

April 29, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  25. James

Outraged??? Only because he is running for President.

No one should let this go and move on. He went to this pastor for 20 years and had him as an advisor in his campaign. There is no way this man did not spew this kind of stuff in those 20 year. Obama certainly could have missed the services only when he did.

Now he tries to tell us he would have left had Wright not retired. How about back when 9/11 comments came out. That would have definitely been a good time and would have given Obama some credibility which he has none on this issue now.

Strange he is outraged today after Rove told him to do this.

April 29, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |