April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Joel King

He has a the nomination already.

April 29, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. Beca

He is taking Karl Rove's advisement! What a joke Obama is, he said that now because he knows he is in HOT WATER baby! Now he is denying his UNCLE?

April 29, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  3. who is hating on us all?

I'm Native American- not "indian", Rev. Wright.

Obama teach your preacher.

April 29, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  4. OBAMASGRANNY

Just MORE political posturing today,...just like Wright said!

I'm sure that this is only the second time in 20 years that Obama heard these sorts of comments!! America can see through your lies Barack!! Give me a break!! Loser.

April 29, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. Texas Tornado

Why is it that aafter all is SAID and done, people can't seem to understand that if you stand too close to the fire, you will get burned. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    I don't think that I could have sat in church and listened to this rhetoric and not have said anything. Heck, I would have left the first time I heard it. That's the greatest thing about AMERICA. He can say anything he wants, but I don't have to sit there and listen. Just like you can choose not to read this. Semper Fi-

April 29, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. James

Reverend Wrights message has not changed. Only the scrutiny has changed. Too bad it takes tough scrutiny to get Obama to condemn what he should have condemned when he was very close to the man.
    The real Obama was the one who said nothing until the light was shined on the facts.

7. Jeremy

Cowboy Jack: "Sen. Obama seemed VERY much on the DEFENSIVE over this…… he didn't handle it smoothly like Hillary would with a crisis."

You mean by claiming to be under sniper fire?

8. Jim In Texas

Finally! All the Obama supporters were out here yesterday standing up for Rev Wright. Where are they now? I'm personnally glad Obama finally distanced himself from his former pastor. I still believe Hillary is our best candidate for President, but it's good to see Obama can make mistakes too and take action to correct it.

This race is not about black vs. white, not about patriotism, and not even about who you like more. This contest is to determine the best person to get things done and lead our country in these dangerous tough times. It's about creating opportunity within our country and improving our standing in the world.

Go Hillary! You have the best ideas and the best track record of action.

9. LY

Now you know what it feels like to have the media try to twist your words, beliefs and try to destroy you. And you still want to be President?

10. Niky

Sen. Obama is really worthy of praise. It takes a lot of guts to stand up against someone who you have respected all your adult life. Like they say... its takes a great deal of strength to stand up against your friends.

11. Bill

J. Wright is riding the coat-tails of Obama for all it's worth. Obama has put him in his proper place with very explicit language. Of course, Hillary is also riding the coat-tails of J. Wright to attack Obama's pastor, not Obama's qualifications as President.
    If Obama does not get the nomination, I will again be forced to vote for the candidate that I dislike the least (not Hillary) as opposed to the candidate best suited for the position.

12. Scott

Why are some of you doubting the words of Obama? What lie has he been involved with? Did he talk about sniper fire? How about twist the words of what sex actually is? Did Obama say that Michigan and Florida didn't count, then go back on his words? If you don't like Obama that is fine, but don't like him because of the right reasons don't just make stuff up. That is where Hillary supporters ruin it for me. They are delusional and willing to destroy the party to make the clear LIAR the Democratic nominee

13. jamieque

FINALLY! It is looks like this nightmare is coming to an end. I think what Obama did was the right thing. I know it wasn't easy for him to do it but it just shows me that he does have integrity and deep understanding of the feelings of others.

Rev. Wright was trying to redeem himself but he took it too far and in the end caused more harm then he probably intended. Hopefully this mess is over.

14. Angie Pen

Mr. obama is wrong and he knows it. He is trying to convince all that he can be the next President. He does not salute our Freedom Flag (U.S. Flag) and does not support the troops tha are fighting for us to keep our freedom. Mr. Obama, wheter you fight or not, you know you are wrong...

15. Mara

I'm astounded by these comments. This is a Christian nation? Do these American Christians actually follow the teachings of Christ?

I don't care what the polls say – I am not voting for McCain, who sings "Bomb Bomb Bomb Iran" as if attacking another nation is a joke. I'm not voting for a woman who says she will "obliterate" another country – one with 70 million civilians – men, women, and children. Clinton has moved to the right of McCain and I have watched enough devastation: in American lives, in American casualties, in a ruined economy. Enough of a war with no end. McCain and Clinton promise more of the same. Our national symbol used to be the statue of liberty. Now it is the black hoods of Abu Ghraib.

16. Brooke

Isn't it interesting that Obama didn't say this earlier, he only says it now when he is running for President. If he was totally disgusted with Rev. Wright he should have denounced the remarks when nobdoy was listening.

Hillary or McCain... anybody but Obama.

17. Tanya McKenzie

Senator Obama is a remarkable citizen with all the qualifications to make a remarkable leader. This will be the first time in my life that I would be so honored to cast my vote for him, empowered by the knowledge that I am casting a vote for US and all her people and, in fact, for all people of the world. God bless Obama.

18. Walter

I've not been so impressed since Billary shoulder-rolled across that Bosnian tarmac dodging snipers, while simultaneously laying down a supressive defense fire shield with her 50 cal. on full automatic..... err... well.... maybe it wasn't so much a shoulder-roll as it was walking down the jetway..... and perhaps the snipers might actually have been Krishnas...... and perhaps the 50 cal. was actually just a luggage claim stub...... but, well, you know.... it was dangerous all the same and it has prepared her well to start on day number 1........... to fabricate events to her advantage??

19. Really!?

Wright is just bitter and taking refuge in his religion...

20. glebsdy

Obama EXPOSED!!!!! the opportunism that afforded him "street cred" with the idiots in chicaco is "coming HOOOOOMMMME to ROOOSSSTTT" if I may quote his close friend and spiritual advisor for the past 20 years... chuckle chuckle chuckle

21. Kris

I never understood why Obama should pay attention to what Wright says. This is a free country and anybody can say anything. By responding continuously to Wright, Obama is elevating the status of the comments. It does not really matter whether the comments have merit or not.

22. hunter

My God... I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW MANY HILLARY SUPPORTERS ARE JUNKING UP THESE BLOGS!!! Face the facts... You've lost, you are the losers, and Obama has won the nomination by the legitimate rules the party has established for decades. The Press is just keeping this alive for the story. Everyone else in the real world knows its over... and unfortunately the Clintons have thrown away all their dignity and respect they worked so hard for all their lives. Just to come in second place....

23. K

Nobody beats a dead dog. Have you seen anybody similar bashing on Hillary lately? That's because old hag has no chance an therefore is not interesting as a news item.

24. Melba

Its willie horton... all over again.

25. Michael

Good job Obama, I am proud of you; you are the kind of president we need to help bridge the gap. It is obvious as you stated your campaign has been about trying to bring people and the different races together because... it is a part of your DNA having a white mother and a black father.

OBAMA 08'