April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Zach

Obama admitted that Wright's comments did great damage to his campaign...I just hope Wright will understand that and not use the spotlight like this again...If he costs him the nomination, he will anger a lot of people...he needs to fall back and shut up...

April 29, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. Melinda Charlotte, NC

It only took you twenty years to realize that he did not share the same beliefs as you? Yeah, right. If you want to accuse someone of lack of judgement, Senator Obama, please look in the mirror.

April 29, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  3. Mack

This is a war of words between Rev. Wright and Obama. This situation could escalate to higher levels and bring out a lot of unknowns.

April 29, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Lonny, Seattle

Bout time you got on Rev. Wright.

He just wants to be another Jesse Jackson. Dont let him step on you to get there.

5. christi

Rev. Wright – you left did it to yourself – your speech yesterday was so far out of touch, it sounded like you wanted to make Obama lose on purpose so you could say "SEE! TOLD YOU NO ONE WOULD VOTE FOR A BLACK MAN"

But you are sooooooooooo wrong – many people of many races are ready for change...you underestimate us, and frankly you are not uplifting our spirits in any way shape or form..

Man, it is so weird to see a politician speaking plainly and honestly – Obama is a breath of fresh air!

6. Kathy

Not enough-not soon enough. I do no believe Obama, I think he and especially so his wife hold many of the beliefs of Rev Wright. If he is the nominee-I will NOT vote for him. I will not vote for McCain, It will pain me not to cast a vote at all-it will be the first time I will not vote in my lifetime, however I do not want this man in the White House and if my individual vote stops that froim happening-then so be it.

7. Mike

Sorry Mr. Obama that Rev. Wright no longer endorses you and says that he has to be a pastor and stick with the truth while you have to play your politics game. Which I think Wright was calling you a liar.

But dont wory Hamas, Ayers, Rezko all still love you.

8. Mike in Cali

Since corporate media is culpable for part
    of the story, maybe it is time to stop supporting
    the corporations that make money from us
    everytime we buy a product that is promoted on
    a media program.

Time to wake up and realize how much control
    corporate America has in this conversation and
    take it back.

OBAMA 08

P.S. I hope John Edwards is his running mate.

9. sue

CAn we all put this to rest?

The American people dont care about Wright, we care about our LIVES!

10. Annamica, OH

Poor Obama?

I am not sure if I feel sorry for him, or if I just want to laugh at this typical Washington politician.

11. Cedric

Well, I guess Obama can't explain this away after all. He was for Rev. Wright before he was against him. hmmmmmmmmm Sound familiar? Finally, everyone's waking up to see Obama for what he is, an empty suit who spouts platitudes. Go Hillary!

12. Democrat now IND

You know this is not a uniter. We should be focusing on the important things.

13. A.W

America,

I am going to stop shy of saying that the nation I once regarded as the greatest has become the dumbest.

Look, I am catholic and will always be a catholic. The catholic chruch has done some outrageous things in the past, including the molestation of minors in recent history. Does that mean all catholics are bad? I don't think

Obama's Pastor has some seriuos issues. Yes. Why take it on Obama. It's his former pastor.
    Obama is running for president and offering hope for America, not his pastor.
    Please wake up, people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Tanya, WV

I am truly proud of his sense of right and wrong and the ability to seek it without stepping all over people. He has handled this issue with respect for all humans but with an urgency to end the divisiveness that the controversy has caused. I am sure, though, that his critics will twist this in anyway they can. People who do so will be guilty though of the same divisiveness.

15. Vince

GO OBAMA!!! I'm glad you are speaking out! WE SUPPORT YOU!!!!

OBAMA 08!!!

16. Adam from NY

Gotta love it...Obama stands up for this clown and Wright accuses him of "political pandering?"

17. vjh

Unfortunately, Rev.Wright has not shown you the same respect, he is soaking up the limelight, only thinking of himself,not how his actions could ruin your chances of becoming our next President. So much for being a good Christian and Friend. It is a beautiful thing to show your devotion to someone,however,if by doing so is going to harm you, then you need put your welfare first and foremost. Unfortunately, we go through life and hurt by those we love and respect. Rev.Wiright did play a role in your life, but it seems that part of your life is now over, it's time to move on. I hope you find peace.

Affectionately,
    One of your supporters

18. Addis - observer

This guy is so sincere... He has his moral. America should take the chance to have this guy as its President.

Obama 08

19. CL Relf Deltona Florida

I hope people are happy now that he has denounced Rev. Wright. Maybe now you will find something else for him to denounce or maybe want him to walk on water.

20. Rick from NJ

What else would he say.
    Obama first said he was his mentor, then an old "uncle" , i wrote a book based on him
    Now he never knew him over twenty years, never knew this side of him

please...........

April 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  21. Grace

I would be outraged if a man or woman that I considered to be a spiritual leader of mine decided to take my good works and effort and use it as a platform to spew hate and poison. This race is about more than one 'bitter' man or his hateful message. It is about hope and change for a better America.

April 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  22. Nt

Those of you who are still ducking sniper fire and accepting pac money, you can continue. You wouldn't have voted for Obama anyway. This was a convenient way for you not to vote for him. OBAMA all the WAY !!

April 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  23. kent

Two men of God who appear to agree...to disagree. Peace brothers!

April 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  24. Uncle Sam

Clearly Sen. Obama is trying his best to distance himself from his former pastor. However, he would have more credibility with the American people if it had not taken him twenty years to get to this point. And when it became politically expedient to do so.

April 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  25. Veterans For Obama

We need you buddy! Don't let the Hillary machine get you down...on the up side once you are done with her, Mccain will seem like a walk in the park.

April 29, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |