April 29th, 2008

Obama says he's 'outraged' with pastor's comments

CNN

Watch Barack Obama comment on his former pastor.

(CNN) - In his harshest criticism yet of his former minister, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barack Obama said he was “outraged” by Wright’s comments at the National Press Club Monday, and “saddened by the spectacle.”

“I have been a member of Trinity Church since 1992. I have known Rev. Wright for almost 20 years,” he said at a Winston-Salem, North Carolina press conference Tuesday. “The person I saw yesterday is not the person I met 20 years ago.”

Obama said he was outraged by Wright’s remarks that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS in the black community, and his equation of some American wartime efforts with terrorism. And he seemed to signal a complete break with his former minister.

“What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing,” said Obama, who added that Wright had shown “little regard for me” and seemed more concerned with “taking center stage.”

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. James

Good job Obama. Rev. Wright is being selfish here. You are running for president and not rev. wright.

April 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. Marge

I'm sure Obama was hurt and disappointed by the actions of Rev.Wright.
    A "Hillary" supporter said she would have handled this incident smoother....
    I say HILLARY would have thrown wright under the bus in the begining. Because she has NO loyalty for ANYBODY!!!!
    Thanks Obama...maybe NOW the media will let this mess die!!!!

April 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. Chip

Cmon Obama – 20 years of goign to church and hearing this stuff and now you don't like the man and throw him under the bus? I do not buy it!

April 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  4. Hannah

OH BOY...
    First of all, to still suggest that he somehow didn't know that his pastor of 20 years held such views of the US, is a load of BS! Stop the lying already.... He tried to hide it first, then tried to take a middle ground in Philly, and now it all back-fired!
    The more interesting thing however, will be what effect this will have on his support among African-Americans... Will they still vote for him overwhelmingly? or will they see him as a sell-out to the Liberals?
    It will also be very interesting to see how Wright will respond to all this... If he chooses to go an eye-for-an-eye with Obama, it could be the kiss of death for his candidacy!

April 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  5. Andrew in OR

Well played by a masterful communicator.

April 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  6. furious

Too little too late. Now that all of America has heard his views Obama denounces Wright. Sounds like poitician to me.

April 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  7. Dwayne Minnesota

I'm a die hard OBAMA Supporter. However, after today I think that he has fallen away from his change idea. He seems to be saying anything to get elected.

Hillary is the worse of the 3 candidates. McCaine will continue to do as much for corporate America as possible. The U.S. political system and its candidates are all full of &((*U! I'm not into picking the less of the 3 evils. We need CHANGE in America and nether of the 3 will change. Barrack new what Mr. Wright said was needed. I don't agree with the second speach and its method, however he has put forth issues that need to be discussed.

CHANGE 08

NO OBAMA, NO CLINTON, NO MCCAINE

AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 29, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  8. Sophia

Obama, I am so proud of you. The folks of Wright's generation, our parents generation, have to much anger and bitterness at times. Sometimes we need to let them go. I am proud of you.

I must admit you were making me nervous, I was afraid you were not going to respond.

9. Tanya Kujath

I don't know what to think at this moment. I am a Democrat and I really hope this doesn't hurt our chances of winning back the White House. Hillary supporters and Obama supporters are going to have to unite or here we go again. I don't think we can stand another term of bush politics.

10. Jetty

Obama stay focus and not allow a pastor you respect to steal this election away from you.

God bless you and your campaign.

11. Lucy

Good for you Sen. Obama. I am with you all the way.

12. Andrienne

Great job Obama! I am more than satisfied with your statements regarding the latest statements of Rev. Wright. Now let's get back to the issues!!!!

OBAMA 2008!!!

OBAMA 2008!!!

OBAMA 2008!!!

13. rosemary

Poised! Excellent!
    It is hot in the kitchen...he can stand the heat and cool the embers....
    The next President of the United States of America...
    Mr. Obama

14. Moshe

Hillary 2008!

15. Susan

Obama was stuttering a lot.
    Must be lying.
    Americans have come to a conclusion easily about Wright and his views. Are we to believe Obama, Mr. Professor, is only finding out NOW what type beliefs his pastor has????
    Come on.
    He's lying.
    Obama is weak.
    Obama hasn't been vetted.
    Obama is an extremist and so is his wife, pastor, and cmpaign friends in Chicago.
    He will lose to McCain.
    Go Hillary!!

16. Change 2008

OMG! About time. Now lets move on with the people's business like healthcare, gas prices and etc.

Sen. Obama 08

17. Obama Kool-Aid Drinker

Now can we please return to our regularly scheduled program: THE ISSUES..and why BARACK OBAMA IS BEST EQUIPPED TO TACKLE THEM? Thank you.

18. Cory in Canada!

“outraged”...bull

America wake-up!

Hillary all the way!

19. Valarie

Again our own people are more concerned with tearing eachother down. The first black man getting ready to make history and his pastor rather save his ownself rather than turn the other cheek!! Read the bible Wright and remember it was the Church leaders who Jesus didn't like!!

20. Charles

Finally, a leader who is willing to face challenges head on. Obama has never done the "politically correct" thing, he has shown that he really is willing to stand up face the music. Bravo Obama, not just America, but the world needs a leader like you!

21. Danny

Obama you just know only yesterday? what's about the one he preached
    last time? We Americans don't by that Obama........you lied to Americans
    you just need people donation for you and you never said before and you
    just know yesterday liar.....Obama you are big liar. You said the man yesterday is not the man you know 20 years ago so, we don't by it you just
    got advice from Car Rove that's why you speak today huh......! good adviser Obama. Hope you going to drop out soon before more damaged
    to your future. Anyway we don't by it. Still not too late just vote for the right
    people to be a nominee or President.

22. Kevin

Thus ends the Wright story.

Now, let's talk Hagee. Let's talk the obliteration of Iran. Let's talk Clinton lying about the Weathermen.

And let's look forward to the Obama administration.

23. AZM

Put a fork in Obama... He's done!

So who's lying?... Obama, Wright, both?

Wait and see how bad this comes back at him from Sharpton, Farakan, Jackson... let alone Wright!

He's dead in the general... better think about that Supers... (and we've not even gotten to Rezko and Ayers)

NOBAMA No WAY

24. chris, san jose, ca

Obama still didn't denounce that antiracist man, it figures. Obama is a liar and is full of s**t. Like the old saying goes..." TELL ME WHO YOU HANG AROUND WITH AND I'LL TELL YOU WHO YOU ARE!!!" Obama=BAD PROGRESS!

25. Big Dee

Obama, I think that you need to back that bus up and drive over this man several more times. What idiot would throw a member of his own church under the bus? Rev. Wright, who is closer to Rev. Do Wrong!