April 29th, 2008

Obama to hold 'big press conference' on Wright

(CNN) - Barack Obama will hold a press conference Tuesday on Rev. Jeremiah Wright's most recent comments, the Illinois senator said.

Responding to supporter's comments in defense of his former pastor, Obama said would hold a "big press conference" during which he would address the issue.

1. Dan , TX

To Everyone who has said an insult toward Obama or Clinton here:

You are a big part of the problem with this country, not Obama, not Clinton, not even Wright. It's you. I know you are emotionally invested in your candidate and, like Wright, sometimes can't help but say things that you know others will find offensive. But, please try to control yourselves and speak with reason and intelligence. I am sure you are really wonderful people, but you come off as small-minded, uneducated, hate-filled, fools.

April 29, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. Ed

Now wait a minute. He sat in the pews of this church for 20 years nd listened to Rev. Wright preach this garbage and still has the gall to call him his spiritual adviser. Something is rotten here. All Obama supporters seem to want is for it all to go away, no story here, please Hillary step aside. No sir, we are just beginning to learn about the real Barack Obama. Please CNN not only keep the story coming, but please did deeper.

April 29, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  3. Sam

It's a great idea, I just hope it isn't coming too late.

Obama 2008

April 29, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  4. The Dude

If anyone saw The Daily Show last night, you know how ridiculous this whole situation really is. Are we going to stand for the manipulation of the issues by the mainstream media? At this point, CNN is just as bad as FOX. Granted, FOX is a lot more biased, but you guys at CNN really need to squash this. After Obama makes his speech, you owe it to the American people to cover the REAL issues.

April 29, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  5. Karen

I hope that they recognize how invaluable Rev. Wright is. He best represents the left wing and a force that can match onto the right wing of the republicans. Although his remarks appear divisive to some, his good intention is transparent. Obama only needs to draw a line to show that his policy is not divisive but inclusive. Leave Rev. Wright alone; he has full right to speak his own mind and let American people to judge him vs Rove, Hannity and Cheney.

People like Wright will like him more as he speaks, those who fear him will continue to hate, those who are confused will find more agreement with Wight than Republicans. I see the general election coming!

Let Wright to speak! Let Obama to draw the line!

April 29, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  6. Susan

More free press for Mr. Arrogant and Corrupt Obama! Wake up folks, this guy does NOT have what it takes! Furthermore, he cannot beat McCain. Snap out of the spell he has you under! He's a fake!

April 29, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. David

THE ENEMY SAYS THEY WILL STRIKE WITHIN.

April 29, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. Steve from Alabama

I, personally, am a typical caucasian in America....I have ,in my ancestry, French,Irish,Scottish,German,Cherokee Indian,and Creek Indian,just to mention the nationalities I am aware of. Rev Wright is under the impression that Black-Americans deserve an apology from the Whites,yet most of the whites responsible for the plight of the African-Americans,are lying in graves,and most of the remaining white culture,are like me..........a mixture of cultures. If anyone should have been apologized to,it should have been Native Americans. Yet,to ask for whites to apologize to them ,is much like asking me to apologize to me,as I am a descendant of both,the invader and the native inhabitant. No matter how I feel about Europeans invading the North American continent,the fact is,if I changed one element of history, I would not be here writing this letter. I wouldn't exist, in all likelihood. The same can be said for Obama. How is it he identifies with Rev Wright's or any of his teachings? Personally, I am just proud to be alive ,and here,arguing this point. God has brought us all together,regardless of how ,to do his ultimate will. How can we question the manner by which he accomplished this task? By the way,welcome to my church! God has a plan for each of us. We need to put "sour grapes" aside,and get about doing his will.

April 29, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. Nikki

Who cares what Wright says?? His opinions are not Obama's...

Can we get to the ISSUES please!!!!!!!! The rest isn't even news

April 29, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  10. Get Real

I have never felt so insecure in my life than I do now about both the present administration and this election. Why in the world would Wright throw Obama under the bus this late in the game? I knew about Wright long before the media started talking about it because I did my research on Obama. Wright told Obama when he decided to run that there would come a time when he had to distance himself from the pastor. Why now? I don't get it nor do I get the whole rise in food and oil costs and Bush's total neglect of our country's welfare. I just don't understand what is happening, but something smells fishy to me.

April 29, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  11. Niky

I think Obama does not need to do this.. I think people are begining to see that they are two different people with different views.

April 29, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  12. Unity

Good for Obama- get this lame story out of the news by addressing it head on, and don't give people and excuse to keep it alive while people are dying in the Clinton-authorized Iraq war and being laid off because of Clintonian trade policy.

The news media is sensationalizing this story for no useful reason.

For example, Meredith Viera on the Today show showed a ten second snippet of Wright's speech on Sunday and said he was "knocking JFK." In reality, he was simply stating that nobody criticized JFK's thick Boston accent, but people criticize the voice of urban black youth. Wright is proabaly a big fan of the Kennedys.

Get a life people!

13. P.J. Hall

I am glad obama is addressing this. Let it be the last address. Rev Wright is just a camera seeker. He loves the lights, camera and action!

Gooooooooooooooooooooo Ooooooooobbbbbbbaammmmaaaaa!

14. April in Texas

Lets finally put an end to this as they are two separate individuals.. I am sure he will be as eloquent as he has in the past and put this issue to rest once and for all..

Obama 08

15. After further review,Texas

Rush Limbaugh should be in leg irons and a orange jump suit for calling for violence and bloodshed at the Democratic Covention this summer.

16. Carnie

Redman... American Indian is absolutely preferred among MANY if not most, so ease up.

Obama08

17. Rafael

Christ Mattew most be pulling his hair and crying for Obama as well
    as all obama fans in cnn,msnbc and abc. Go Hillary. Obama is hiding
    something about hids pastor. America open your eyes this a risk
    going for someone so Liberal .

18. who

Who of us Americans were here in the days of slavery?

The Native Americans had their land stolen and suffered from the genocide committed against them. They do not preach a theology of hatred.

19. Floria

Since Mr. Wright(wrong) is speaking out , Senator Obama should make one more speech or press conference to clear the dust that this man is kicking up.
    Senator Obama needs to make it clear just as he did when people mention Farakan connection with him and distance himself from this FORMER pastor.
    Mr Wright has self motivations and has no good intentions for Senator Obama, who I believe will be our next President of the United States.

Obama should stick with the issues and move on with this campaign.

20. Ibextati

Obama picked up two more super delegates

Kentucky Rep. Ben Chandler

Winthrop farmer Richard Machaceck, an Iowa superdelegate

21. Rev Wright

My question is everyone here who is talking and making comments must be avid church goers and that there place of worship never said some stupid things that would sound weird to anyone hearing a 10 sec clip. The stuff he said is stupid...but to say a US Senator believes everything then we are stupid. I am pretty sure Clinton's former Pastor who was convicted yesterday for Molestation doesn't mean that she is a molestor.....wake up people. The media needs the ratings and they want this to go down for a big story.

Wake up. Next week they will start talking about Hillary and her Peter vs Paul case to stir up the people. We aren't that stupid.

22. Lawrence

Rev. Wright's comments has caused him the white house bid, period. No matter what he says that will erase the damage.

23. ktone

this campaign isn't about rev. wright, in its not about the the candidate's its about the American people! so why? are we still talking about it.. what about the issue!!!

24. what?

More free airtime to impress us all with his hype of hope hypocrisy?

Media, do your job and expose all the contradictions between Obama's message and his actions.

April 29, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  25. Mike

Dan, TX

...and you are not taking part in the conversation, couln't you find anything else better to do than blog?

Seems like you are in the mix now!

April 29, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |