April 29th, 2008

Polls: Clinton, Obama tied in Indiana

Clinton and Obama are tied in Indiana.
Clinton and Obama are tied in Indiana.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are dead-even in the crucial primary state of Indiana, according to a new CNN "poll of polls."

In an average of several recent polls, the two candidates each draw 47 percent of likely Democratic voters in the Hoosier State, while 6 percent remain undecided.

The new poll of polls includes a just released Howey-Gauge survey that shows Obama ahead of Clinton by two points, 47-45 percent. That difference is well within the poll’s 4 point margin of error.

A CNN average of recent Indiana polls released late last week also showed a dead heat between Clinton and Obama, though today's poll of polls is the first comprised entirely of surveys conducted after the New York senator's Pennsylvania win.

1. Julie.MN

Please cnn, no more new poll of polls. And when you do , could you please tell us where these were taken, rural, urban,city.? how many polled, ect, but then again that would just take the fun out of it for ya's.

April 29, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. Illinois voter

The poll of polls includes old data. Clinton is really up 8% to 9% in Indiana based on today's PPP and SurveyUSA polls.

PPP (D) 04/27 – 04/28 1347 LV 50 42 Clinton +8.0
    SurveyUSA 04/25 – 04/27 628 LV 52 43 Clinton +9.0

April 29, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  3. Bobby A

What polls are you smoking CNN? You did this same reporting before Pennsylvania. – when all of them except one was showing Clinton ahead by wide margins. Real Clear Politics is showing many polls with Clinton was ahead.

I just don't get these lies. Is Obama buying off CNN too, now?

And WHY don't Obama debate? Does he prefer to buy the election with his TV ads?

I can't take it.

April 29, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. Ardnuas

Indiana voters know a winner too, and will support Obama big time
    Obama/Edwards08

April 29, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  5. hrao

Hillary has worked hard for this. I hope she wins. She had many uphill problems, the press and Obama money.

April 29, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. Umpire

If Senator Clinton doesn't win in Indiana, she will insist that the illegal votes in Florida and Michigan be counted. Don't expect a gracious exit from her. And don't expect her to abandon her highly negative campaign style, either. As she has often said, she'll do anything to win.

April 29, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  7. ps

Why it took Obama more than 3 weeks to get "ourraged"?
    He is just another smart politician who knkows what to do to gain the highest benefits for his political career.

April 29, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  8. errrr

Since most polls were ridiculously biased by favoring Obama, I won’t believe them except for those from Surwey USA. Its results were never far away from the actual results although it favored Obama a little bit occasionally.

By the way, Surwey USA poll shows that Clinton leads 9% in Indiana yesterday.

April 29, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  9. Charles Williams

I am voting for Obama here in Evansville,Ind strongly because of what he stands for which is a peaceful Iraq and I think he can turn this struggling econonmy aound. But mostly because of they way he's being treated by the media unfairly. And this rev wright stuff at least his former pastor isn't in prison right now .

Charles Williams

Evansville,Ind

April 29, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  10. McHillary

NC is worth more than Indiana in dels. If she doesn't win that state 65% or more too, she's OUT. Oh wait, she didn't even win Penn by enough to catch Obama. Will Hillary still be running after Obama is sworn in?

Obama is less than 290 dels away!!!

April 29, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  11. Susan MO

We hope the good people of Indiana vote for Hillary.

She is experienced. for the people, and a fighter.

Hillary 08 :)

April 29, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  12. Ted in Chicago

Of say 8000 comments, here at AOL and CNN and Washington Post etc., there were about 5000 posters who said in essence

“Wright speaks truth to power - or some variation of Wright is right”
    and those who condemn are wrong.

Well, now that BO has denounced this folly for what it is, a one man vanity show of bravado and nonsense and anger and ego

So now - you 5000 posters – What do you do now? Do you – yes you – leave BO for dismissing Rev Wright so harshly?

People like me – DEMS who are HRC first and BO second DEMS – and moderates – told you in our posts today that RW on Monday and prior hd gone beyond – was over the top.

But you argued with us. You called us horrible names and called us milder variations of bigots – racist pigs – dumb sound bite listeners- morons – intolerants – those not willing to read the whole sermon – people to easily swayed by a loop on youtube – etc. YOU – yes you – argued with us. Big time

NOW I ask – NOW- Do you argue with BO? He is tossing the REV under the bus? Do you leave BO?

I am really interested how cognitive dissonance and other conflicts will influence you? Your first choice DEM candidate contradicted you!

I look forward to reading new posts from the 5000 of you – as I have no idea how you react. It is strange because us DEMS all the way – HRC first and then BO second – are encouraged and heartened by what BO finally did today. BO, by shoving REV WRIGHT miles away from him – showed courage – political street smarts needed in a GE – and simple common sense. (Although I wonder if he now disowns his white grandmother too – hey – one shot is not too small of me)

April 29, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  13. JD

Irrevelant. Even if Clinton wins, it won't be enough for her to get the nomination.

GIVE UP HILLARY.

OBAMA 08

April 29, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  14. John Adkisson, Sacramento, California

Hopefully, Obama's press conference today will stop the bleeding. When I switched it on, the stress I was feeling over the Wright controversy began subsiding. Hopefully, the voters of North Carolina and Indiana can now see the that Wright and Obama represent polar opposites in attitude and approach. Hopefully, his advantages in these states will not be ruined by this tragic set of distractions. But, hope is all we have.

April 29, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  15. Todd

I am so saddened by the fact that most of America, after reading and hearing the things coming out of the Obama camp, are so misguided. I can't understand why, in a time of crisis, and one that our country is currently dealing with, that we want someone that only has rhetoric to back him up.

I came into this election with an open mind, but now that I have made up my mind, I am a racist. I have viewed what is written on other boards, and to liken my just casting my vote for Hillary here in NC, I am called a racist. That is just sad.

I truley believe that on a personal level, these two potential candidates have failed in some way. We are no perfect, none of us without sin. I do, however, know that as a 33 year old male, living with a terrible disease called MS, that I need someone that has my interest at heart. Health care is extremely important to me, and after researching both candidates, I feel very strongly for Hillary, as I think many will be shocked to find, that those of us in NC do.

I am not sure where these double digit polls are coming from, I have not been polled, and perhaps the 200 or so people I have talked to while campagining for Hillary. I can tell you that even before the Wright scandal, most everyone I talked to were in Hillary's corner, so it is suprising to find so many in Obama's. I guess we will have to wait and see on that one.

I, however, am not a racist, and just because I don't want to vote for someone that is of color, does not mean that I would not, or would not one day. I have said, however, in light of all the negativity surrounding his campgain, and I have doubts I could vote for him in the event that he is the democratic nominee.

The most ironic or really confusing thing of all is, when I ask someone who they are voting for, whether it be Hillary or Obama, and they tell me, and I ask why, they can't tell me why. If there is one thing that I could suggest to anyone that is voting in a primary, election, or just something random in life, it would be...know what, whom, and for what reason you are voting. It is incredibly important that you know the stance on these people right now in this election, and that you vote with confidence. The only way to do that is to research..voting with heart and hype only lead us to the last eight years, and I am ashamed to admit I was one of those people. Lets not any of us, make the same mistake thrice.

My very educated vote goes to Hillary Clinton!

April 29, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  16. Close Observer

Close followup on Alexander Mooney's writings clearly show he is ardent supporter of Hillary Clinton. The choice and intentions of your statements tell this vivdly. Sattle but obvious. You better stay home buddy.

April 29, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  17. Cowboy Jack

There's no way Indiana is tied.... Hillary leads and will gain an even bigger lead after this weekend as she usually does in midwest rust-belt states

April 29, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  18. FB

Clinton's advisers have been in a must win situation since Ohio and Texas. Yet she fails to make a dent on the delegate count. It's not about the wins anymore, it's about the delegate lead that Obama has and will have after the primaries.

Prior to her "huge win at PA" Obama lead by 140 delegates. After her "huge win at PA by 10%" Obama now leads by...138.

Get a freaking clue already. Hillary can fill the air waves and the minds of the people with BS and false hopes, but the fact still remains that Hillary can't make a dent in the delegate lead.

She can claim that Obama is the worst candidate ever, but If she can't beat "the worst candidate ever" in the primaries than that just makes her a worse candidate. Simple logic.

Just because Hillary claims that Obama is the worst candidate ever it doesn't make it so. And if Hillary can't beat "the worst candidate ever" in the primaries than that just makes her even worse than the "worst candidate ever" Simple logic.

Are you smarter than a 5th grader? 1,727 is greater than 1,589.

All Gore may have been a better candidate than bush, but Bush had the most electoral votes.

April 29, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  19. Divine inspired race

If the Peter Paul vs. Clinton court scandal case that is currently in court would come out before the elections she would be done. Finito!!!!! For some reason CNN won't cover that, instead they drown us with rev wright stuff who most of us could care less about. He is not Obama nor does he speak for him. However the above case speaks volumes for the Clintons. Also how bout the Clinton pastor who was convicted today of severe child molestation. I hope the Clinton fans lift weights cause they are going to need it to carry around the Clinton baggage.

April 29, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  20. woody

yeah right CNN...put HILLIARys sign in front and decolorize Obama's sign to look darker. i expected better from CNN...sheesh!

April 29, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  21. THE REAL CHERYL FOR HILLARY!

YEAH!
    JUST LAST WEEK OBAMA HAD A SMALL LEAD!
    THE PEOPLE HAVE FIGURED OUT THAT OBAMA IS NOT WHO HE CLAIMS TO BE!
    HE LIES ABOUT NAFTA AND WHO HIS FRIENDS ARE!
    NOW HE IS THROWING HIS PASTOR UNDER THE BUS FOR POLITICAL GAIN!
    WRIGHT IS PISSED BECAUSE HE REALIZES THAT HE WAS BEING USED LIKE THE REST OF US!!!!

PEOPLE ADMIRE HILLARY FOR THE FIGHT SHE HAS PUT UP!!
    SHE IS SMART AND HAS SOLUTIONS TODAY!
    SHE GETS IT THAT WE NEED LOWER GAS PRICES AND TO KEEP OUR HOMES AND FEED OUR KIDS!!!

I TRUST HILLARY TO FIX OUR PROBLEMS!
    WE NEED TO GET RID OF THE DRAMA OF OBAMA AND GET TO THE REAL ISSUES LIKE WHO IS ELECTABLE IN THE FALL!

FOR ME THAT IS HILLARY! AND I WILL BE VOTING FOR HER!!!!!
    RISE HILLARY RISE!!!!!!!

April 29, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  22. Todd

Indiana is not even close to the delegate count of North Carolina yet everyone is saying that Indiana is a battleground state, I would think the state with the most delegates left would be the state that Clinton needs to win....amazing how the numbers, logic and rules always keep changing. She might win 1-2 delegates in Indiana but lose 15 in North Carolina......stupid. Her logic is about as well grounded as her campaign management.

Next up Clinton will be saying Guam is the battleground territory that will decide the presidency.

You go Clinton News Network (CNN). Long gone are the days of impartial reporting and coverage.

April 29, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  23. shaun

"Some Clinton advisers have said Clinton must win Indiana to continue her presidential bid."

once again the clintons are pandering for votes, trying to rally whites behind her..not gonna work this time...and we will not be tricked again by your unholy 72hr plan...

April 29, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  24. William

Hillary will never quit. Only when the pressure from the "media" swells to insurmountable odds will she fold. Even now with Obama once again denoucing Rev. Wright, the media chooses to focus on Rev. Wright himself instead of the true issues that are destroying the American people and their hopes for a better life. Prepare for the worse.

April 29, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  25. John Smith

Let us wait untill the Republicans turn their attention on Hillary! Some dems are so ignorant they forget that the Clintons have made everlasting enemies with Republicans. Whatever is going on now with Obama will be small.

Just think: If the dems are bashing Obama for being in church with a preacher, what will they say about a woman (Hillary) who continues to live with "an impeached president" over sexual scandals! This is just the start of the story. The Dems have started it, I hope they will continue when the Republicans take over!!! God Bless us all out of this mess.

April 29, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |