April 29th, 2008

Rep. Ike Skelton picks Clinton

Skelton is backing Clinton.
Skelton is backing Clinton.

(CNN) - Missouri Rep. Ike Skelton said Tuesday he will cast his superdelegate vote for Hillary Clinton.

In a statement released by the Clinton campaign, Skelton said he is supporting the New York senator because of "her support in rural America, her commitment to National Security, and her dedication to our men and women in uniform."

Skelton is chairman of the powerful House Armed Services Committee and has served in congress for over 30 years. His state narrowly voted for Barack Obama on February 5, though Clinton won 60 percent of his congressional district.

With Skelton's endorsement, Clinton now holds a 22 superdelegate lead over Obama, 259 to 237, according to CNN's estimate. More than 300 superdelegates have yet to make up their minds.

Skelton is the fourth superdelegate to endorse a candidate Tuesday. Earlier, North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley announced he was backing Clinton and Kentucky Rep. Ben Chandler and Iowa DNC member Richard Machacek announced they were supporting Obama.

1. gavin2luv

I think Hillary would make a great president.!We have had leadership by men long enough.I want to see what a woman can do in the White House. We are not ready for Obama.He just does not have enough expereince.GO HILLARY!!!!

April 29, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  2. Betty

We need more thoughtful, level-headed superdelegates like Rep. Skelton whose long-time experience and knowledge, like Hillary's, can give us one of our best presidents; one who will work with the Republicans to solve our problems and restore respect for America again.

April 29, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  3. A Missouri Voter

I live in Ike Skelton's district and he is out of touch with the people who live here. He could care less about rural Missouri. The only reason he keeps getting re-elected is because of all the "older" democrats. It's time for a change not only in Washington but also in Missouri.

April 29, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  4. DEMOCRAT FOR THE WINNER OF THIS NEXT DEBATE !!!

ObAmA SuPpOrTeRs ( ObAmA R Us ) Don't Get It !!!

How many Years Did Obama Attend Harvard Law School ?
    Harvard had Educated & Influenced Him To Way To Practice Law The Harvard Way !!!

How Many Years Has Obama Attended Rev. Wright's Church ?.
    You Know The Rest Of The Story !!!

Obama fianaced These Weekly ( Training Courses ) Sermons .

Hillary 08"

April 29, 2008 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  5. Jerry in Florida

Right on Representative Ihe Skelton! Win or loose, you made the right decision! Unlike other turncoats.

April 29, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  6. Remi

I want to say a word about the basic decency I have seen in Mr. Obama. Mrs. Clinton continues to throw the Rev. Wright up in his face as part of her mission to keep stoking the fears of White America. Every time she does this I shout at the TV, "Say it, Obama! Say that when she and her husband were having marital difficulties regarding Monica Lewinsky, who did she and Bill bring to the White House for 'spiritual counseling?' THE REVEREND JEREMIAH WRIGHT!"
    But no, Obama won't throw that at her. It wouldn't be right. It wouldn't be decent. She's been through enough hurt. And so he remains silent and takes the mud she throws in his face.

April 29, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  7. brandi scott

obama just picked up 2 also in kentucky but its not big news for him

April 29, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  8. Joe

The Wright issue is being kept in the media by Hillary's campaign. He clearly supports her, since he is now going on tour. Makes no sense otherwise.

Is every story on this site pro-Clinton? I mean, cmon. What ever happened to journalist integrity?? I thought the media is supposed to impartial. Guess that doesn't exist anymore.

April 29, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  9. Phillip Bunn , Bailey NC

I'm from NC and I'm ashamed of Mike Easly. He is just throwing a tantrum became Obama would not agree to, YET, another debate. After twenty-odd debates, what in the hell is there still left to talk about?Get over it Mike!!

April 29, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  10. Disgusted

He seems to be one of those people who would jump on a sinking ship just for the thrill of it. Stop wasting your time old man, and ours too.

Obama '08

April 29, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  11. ky

Hey Anne E good for you so am I and I am a registered Republican who is switiching parties to vote for Obama.

Clinton supporters support your candidate each one of us are allowed to support whomever we choose I just want to support someone who is fresh, young, and isn't tied to lobbyist as the Clinton's (plural) are. I understand that you either want a woman in the White House or you don't want change because when you are tied to lobbyist you won't be able to change Washington too many people in your pocket and since the Clinton's refuse to release their list of donors for the Clinton library something must be in there that could be detrimental to her campaign that she doesn't want it released. So cheer on you have the right just as I have the right to cheer on Obama but can we keep the nastinest out of the comments we have enought of that from the nominees.

April 29, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  12. Blogthis

When when this be over....I am not even running and I am tired

April 29, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  13. Caly

Obama supports will not suppor Hillary come November. She cannot mend the divide she has created only Obama can do that.

A Hillary nomanation = a win for Mcain.

April 29, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  14. gbarnum

Senator Obama, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP.

April 29, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  15. Mark

Gee, a 30 year Washington insider picking Clinton? What a surprise!!
    Aren't people getting tired of the same old politics? Don't people realize what a rollercoaster of scandals, lies and corruption another Clinton administration would be?

April 29, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  16. Krystyna from Chicago

I am happy for HILLARY !!!!!
    We need future President to be for America, all people, not just Black
    (as they vote for Obama, 92-95 %, they showed that Obama will be just for them). I noticed , theWhite people and any other nationality had been voting fairly, but not Black people !!!!
    ILLINOIS VOTES WILL GO TO HILLARY !!!!!!!

April 29, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  17. Ann

Congratulations to Mr. Skelton. You are a man of integrity, sound judgement, and the knowledge to know that Hillary can lead this country in a positive direction, and make the changes that are so badly needed. Yes, she can offer the solutions that we so badly need. We know where she stands, there aren't any secrets, we approve of her message, and we pray to God, that people wake up before it is too late.

April 29, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  18. OC - CA - cubanamericanwoman

Please check out the L.A. Superior Court pending civil case against the CLINTONS for receiving illegal campaign contributions for Hillary's Senate seat campaign. You can find the EXPLICIT details of how the Clintons operate with their chronies – sound familiar? VERY SCARY INDEED!!!

WAKE UP America – we do not need another Bush in the White House!!!!

April 29, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  19. Barbara L. Giles

Clinton's minister molested a seven-year old? Why isn't the news reporting this? Is Clinton still a member of that church? There are lawsuits out against her? Why isn't this on the news? The media is not fair in its treatment of Obama. The media is biased and is doing everything that it can to sink Obama. Then I wonder whether the Clintons are paying Wright. They are ruthless enough. Isn't it odd that a person almost has to be a murderer in order to get respect. I guess that it is true that the good guys finish last. If Obama is not on the ticket, McCain has my vote.

April 29, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. Joanne

I truly truly feel sorry for Mr. OBAMA. This is so unfair. I am from Canada and I am for Hillary but no one deserves this. Goodness, Obama I do wish you hope. God Bless You.

Hillary 08

April 29, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  21. Mlachake from Orange, Ca

Surely Obama supporters are nothing but whining babies! The White House is not the place for whiners! Let me point out one more fact here. Obama supporters are failing to understand that the purpose of the superdelegates is to nominate a candidate who has a better chance to win the November election if none of the candidates ganners the required delegates for the party nomination. Neither Obama nor Clinton have the required delegates to lock the nomination; a reason why the fight for nomination should continue until the last State votes. After that, the superdelegates will make their judgement as to whom will better represent the party in the General Elections. Just a reminder to Obama supporters that neither candidate has enough delegates to claim victory! So please shelf your excitement and let the superdelegates make their decision as to which candidate can best represent the Democrats come November.

April 29, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  22. Ilona Proud Canadian

Bill's half brother.. Roger..pardoned by Bill for drug trafficking...
    Hillary's two brothers...Hughie and Tony... Where are these siblings?
    Why don't we hear anything about these Clinton/Rodham brothers? Peter Paul court case...North Carolina Robocall Giving False Info To Blacks...Clintons' pastor jailed for inappropriately sexually touching 7year old.........Why is cnn not reporting any of this? This is news!

April 29, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  23. Marilyn from Ohio

I don't care about Rev. Wright and I am not an Obama supporter. However, if Obama gets elected I don't think I can stand to look at the horrible antics that the Rev. Wright goes through when he talks. He hasn't had such a bad life and needs to quit putting down America. Do we need to listen to this for the next four years?

April 29, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  24. Hooray for Hillary!!!!

Oh, poor crybaby Obamabots – you won't be able to blame his loss on White people

One of his OWN has done did him in

THANK YOU GOOD REVEREND – you have indeed done God's work and saved us from a disaster

P.S. – If I were you, I'd be TOTALLY PISSED that he expected me to share space under the bus with a typical White grandma

April 29, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |