April 29th, 2008

Rep. Ike Skelton picks Clinton

Skelton is backing Clinton.
Skelton is backing Clinton.

(CNN) - Missouri Rep. Ike Skelton said Tuesday he will cast his superdelegate vote for Hillary Clinton.

In a statement released by the Clinton campaign, Skelton said he is supporting the New York senator because of "her support in rural America, her commitment to National Security, and her dedication to our men and women in uniform."

Skelton is chairman of the powerful House Armed Services Committee and has served in congress for over 30 years. His state narrowly voted for Barack Obama on February 5, though Clinton won 60 percent of his congressional district.

With Skelton's endorsement, Clinton now holds a 22 superdelegate lead over Obama, 259 to 237, according to CNN's estimate. More than 300 superdelegates have yet to make up their minds.

Skelton is the fourth superdelegate to endorse a candidate Tuesday. Earlier, North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley announced he was backing Clinton and Kentucky Rep. Ben Chandler and Iowa DNC member Richard Machacek announced they were supporting Obama.

1. Video Guy

If she is so "dedication to our men and women in uniform." why does she go on National TV and make fun of being under sniper fire. I am sure that our Military members who are under real sniper fire do not think it is funny.

April 29, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  2. Chuck

Old cronie goes for status quo is all I can say. He is a clear example of a government gone astray birds of a feather stick to gether is fitting of this.

April 29, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  3. Hillary 4 President

Oh gosh here we go again... BHO supporters are getting a bit anxious. So now they are equipping themselves with.... "Hillary will steal the nomination...." No, Hillary will win b/c she didn't give up and she's a tough candidate and always has been. She didn't sugar coat her candidacy. You people just want to scapegoat that's all. In fact, that is something that the BHO campaign is consistent with–using others as a scapegoat. BHO is not and never was a strong candidate. He got carried by the mere wind of his supporters cheers and the media. Some people just cannot accept the fact that their candidate is not all that strong.

April 29, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. Jeremy, Portland OR

At least she has found one Skelton in her closet that wont haunt her.

April 29, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. Jim T

most old people will vote for old people like hillary or mcshame, they completely fear change and stick with their old roots. hillary and mccains decades upon decades of being in politics have completely corrupted and deteriorated whatever they have left in their pitiful minds, like a pellet in a empty can

April 29, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. Gane

Bravooooooo!!!
    LOVE YOU HILLARY!!!

April 29, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. hiwot

People can believe whatever they want to believe, but Barack Obama has shown that he can beat Hillary Clinton even when the Media is deliberately trying to hurt him. The Wright story is not going to affect my respect nor my loyalty to Obama. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

April 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Ray

I think Obama's supporters should start playing "Nearer My God to Thee"...that was the song playing when the Titanic was going down.
    GO HILLARY!!!!

April 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. DAN

It's time to unite behind Hillary and take back the white house and give the USA the standing it used to have in the world. Obama waited for polls about rev. Wright before he divorced him.Why wait for polls? where was his judgement yesterday. That's why Obamas supporters have to realize it's over for Obama and as democrats it is now time to unite behind Hillary. Jobs ,health care for everyone. lets do this people.

April 29, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. Chiss, NY

Last breaths for Hillary...

April 29, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  11. DJ in TX

Wow – now Clinton supporters. Here's a superdelegate that went AGAINST his state. Hmmm, can't wait to see what you say about that one.

April 29, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  12. Tjaye

Whew! Now she has received 15 new Superdelegates since Super Tuesday to Obama's 48 new Superdelegates since Super Tuesday....she's gaining on him!!!

The tide is turning...but the boat is sunk!

Obama O-8!

April 29, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  13. Jane

I should have figured that the Clinton News Network doesn't want to post my comments since I am one of thousands of Obama supporters.

April 29, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  14. mick

Why would anyone pick to back someone that took 20 yrs. to see the truth, unbelievable who could even think about voting for Obama?

April 29, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  15. Nora

According to the Clinton Camp endorsements don't count. That is what they said. It is either too late or who cares, that is what they always say. Or has that changed, I can't keep track of all the changes and rules that change when Hillary does something, it is not important if Obama does it, but if she does well now you are talking. I see now she is going on Fox News, Hillary you are not one to be outdone!!!

April 29, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  16. Disappointed

I am sorry but if Hillary Clinton was the last candidate on this earth for President I would not vote for her. I used to respect and admire her. Her quest to destroy the democratic party and make us pay for Bill's sins has been too much for me.

April 29, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  17. think

good.

Starting to see the light:

liked this post- so i copied it

there are only 2 reasons any super delegate endorses Obama at this juncture:

1. as a last ditch effort, in unison with other endorsees, to create the illusion of widespread support and inevitability and to, hopefully, stem the tide of his clear reversal of momentum beginning with texas and ohio primaries.

2. stupidity.

neither rationale will stave the inevitable from occurring, namely, Hillary overtaking him in key metrics (popular vote, head-to-head polls vs. mccain) and the key pychological metric of "momentum.".

April 29, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. Cowboy Jack

Obama Supporters: "But Obama won Missouri, even though it was only by 1%, this Rep. should be endorsing Obama!!!!!"

April 29, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  19. Danel

Anne E. I am with you. I am sick of the media, CNN, FOX, MSNBC ( except Olbermann) But love C-SPAN.

April 29, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  20. bought and paid for

Like Rep. Ike Skelton vote didn't happen because of the promises made and the oppurtunities given to him under Bill Clinton. She's done nothing to earn this but lie and slam a fellow democrat all while weakening the Democratic party. Awesome.

April 29, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. EXPERIENCE PLEASE!

It's about time we see the real players making the right decisions. Obama is not who he says he is!

Hillary can win!

Bravo Mr. Skelton!

Clinton 08!

April 29, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  22. Obama

Obama is no longer an electible candidate. He should have come out stronger against Wright from the beginning. His story that he never heard Wright talk or think the way he does is just not possible. Obama tried to hide who Wright really was and also makes the voter wonder who Obama really is.

I cannot even imagine any superdelegate picking Obama – he will not win over McCain, especially in light of all that has come to light in the past few months on the tuype of people Obama has been close to over the years.

April 29, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. kweku emmanuel

I am a supporter of Barack and I can understand Pastor Wright's comments. Do I agree with them all no, but I understand. Barack is referred to as the FIRST AFICAN AMERICAN to have a chance to be President, I thought he was mixed his mother is White. I wonder what he would be called if his father was WHITE AND MOTHER BLACK?
    I also wonder if the cable news would spend all this time on Rev. Wright instead of the issues that affect us now.
    Last and most important,former President Jimmy Carter said when he grew up he heard the same type of preaching from an AME preacher. Something to think about.

April 29, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  24. Fightproperly

Sean Hanity never served in the Millitary. He is not patriotic and therefore not a good American. I think David Axelrod (the Axe) can eat Carl Rove's Lunch. He is the best Political strategist America has ever seen.

April 29, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  25. KM

Superdelegates, go ahead and give Hillary the nomination despite what the majority have said. I thought that this election was going to be different and I see that I was wrong. Congratulations Sen. Clinton, you're no better than G.W., the only differience is that he told us up front in so many words that he didn't care about us "common" people.

All Hail the Queen, because this is not a democracy, it's a dictatorship and only an elite few run this country.

April 29, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |