April 30th, 2008

Bill Clinton: High oil prices here to stay

CNN

Watch Bill Clinton's comments Wednesday.

(CNN) – Campaigning for his wife in North Carolina, former President Bill Clinton said Wednesday that he’d be “very surprised if oil goes below a hundred dollars a barrel again in my lifetime.”

“There is a limited amount of oil in the ground and everyday more and more people can afford to buy it so they are gonna bid the price up,” said Clinton, who added that drivers have been forced to choose “between driving to work and having enough food for their kids.”

His wife Hillary Clinton has proposed a gas tax holiday – paid for in part by higher taxes on oil companies - that would give consumers a price break at the pump this summer. The New York senator has also called for a Federal Trade Commission investigation into possible market manipulation by oil companies or speculators.

Filed under: Bill Clinton
  1. IG

I'm a big of fan of the logic:

1) Lower taxes on gas to decrease the price to the consumer.
    2) Raise taxes on the oil companies, not mentioning the fact that in response, they will certainly just raise the price to the consumer, at least to the same level they were before removing taxes
    3) Forget the basic principles of economics (supply, demand, and pricing)
    4) Praise your ingenious solution and smear your opponent for not jumping on the bandwagon of your worthless plan

April 30, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  2. MD

Read prominent economists' reports that came out to day AGAINST Hillary's idiotic idea of Gas Tax Hilday.

Not a single person worth his salt has anything but negative things to say about her "proposal."

Hillary Clinton is very good at shooting off her big mouth, and then let the chips fall where they may.

April 30, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  3. John Boy

Oh I love all your comments against the clintons,it just shows how dumb you really are.Yes Bill had a extra marital affair,it's not my business or your,thats between his wife and him. At least under clinton we didn't have gas prices like this,and we didn't have such a deficit that we are borrowing money from china,and bush is going to tell china what to do,if you think that,then I'll sell all of you that swamp land I've been wanting to sell.How dumb can you be,bush is in oil.We have oil and gas right here in the state of new york and some oil wells.You people that can afford $10.00 dollars a gallon for gas,go to it,when gas in venezuala is .39 cents a gallon, prices where gas is high,they have good paying jobs there,canada,good example.

April 30, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  4. jason

yea and you GREEDY people will reap what you sow. you and all of the tri-lateral commission new world order people. you have and have more people are robbing the poor while you people live large and attacking people who is not of your ilk. dem/rep you people are all two-faced liars

April 30, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. Susie

Everyone that is voting for Barack osama are nuts he is not god and he is not a precher he is a man that dosen't know what he talking about 1/2 the time, Hillary has what it takes to be president she whips him in debates she whips him anytime any wereTahari in CT4 do you not know how to spell Hillary let me show you how

Hillary 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  6. Chris, Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Why do we think cheap oil is a right? If I owned the oil, I would try to get max $ for it.

April 30, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. Susie

TAHARI in CT 4 OBAMA

$25 down the drain.

April 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. Ernest

Go to hell Billwright

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  9. clinton~fan~no~more~

Well let's see...Bill wants Democrats to vote for his wife.
    Because she wants to give us an 18 cents break on gas, and pay for it with a windfall tax. Ok. That means we will get a $25.00 break in three months, and 6 months or more we will get hit by this windfall tax, that WILL be handed down to us! But that time gas will be $6.00 a gallon!
    GENIUS! She is a genius!
    Then, Bill wants us to vote for his wife b/c she is tough, a fighter! ok.
    Let's see she sided with McCain on her delusional Commander in Chief test! Umm...could someone tell her there is no such things anyway. Then, she is on Fox news. Buddying up with Murdoch! Sucking up to the Pittsburgh Republican editorial board! She has the support of all the Republicans! wow, great for her, she is in good company!
    And...as a Democrat...I would vote for her WHY? She is a traitor to her own party! My party...does mean something to me. I started out for Hillary...but no more! She has turned her back on US, the members in her party, and I will turn my back on her. Bill turned his back on us also, with his racial code words, and talking up McCain!
    So...I will not vote for Hillary. EVER. Not in November, not in 4 years, or eight years! I don't see her anythng to win strategy against another Democrat, as being "tough", I see it as "Republican". She used the Republicans play book, and since I'm a democrat...I could never vote for her!

April 30, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |