April 30th, 2008

Clinton calls Wright comments 'offensive and outrageous'

Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.
Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Wednesday she personally took offense to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's recent comments, the New York senator’s harshest assessment yet of Barack Obama's former minister.

"I think it’s offensive and outrageous. I’m going to express my opinion, others can express theirs," Clinton told Fox’s Bill O'Reilly. "It is part of just, you know, an atmosphere we’re in today.”

The comments appear to be a shift in Clinton’s tone on the matter. On Tuesday she criticized Republican presidential nominee John McCain for not doing enough to stop Republican ads running in North Carolina and Mississippi that feature Wright's comments.

"I regret the efforts by the Republicans to politicize this matter," Clinton said of the ad.

Speaking at the National Press Club Monday, Wright did not back down from some of his controversial remarks, including those that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS among African-Americans, and his equation of U.S. wartime efforts with terrorism.

Wright also said Obama was acting like a politician in denouncing his controversial sermons.

Speaking with reporters Tuesday, Obama said he was outraged with Wright's latest comments.

"What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing," Obama said, adding that Wright had shown "little regard for me" and seemed more concerned with "taking center stage."

Obama also said Wright's comments were not only "divisive and destructive," but they "end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Adam, KY

Just take a look at comments above...
    I am surprised that Obama has so many dumb and sick supporters.
    No wonder Hillary won 4 out of 5 last primaries! Go Hillary!!!

Hillary 08!!!

April 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  2. OMG

Dear Hillary: The best way "not to politicize this matter" which you accuse John McCain of doing, is simply not to comment. Let it die as yesterday's news.

Frankly, nobody cares what you think about Rev. Wright.

April 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. mary, ct

This is one of many reasons why I could never, ever vote for her.

April 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  4. Ugh!

Debby April 30th, 2008 3:44 pm ET

I truly hope Obama loses big time and then all his supporters will go back in their holes where they came from. You people are just miserable.

Interesting Debbie you want us Obama supporters to crawl back into our little holes? But your precious Hillary can not win the election without our support and Obama can't win without Hillary's supporters support, so stop being disrespectful and grow up.

April 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  5. dallasiteforhillary

Hillary was answering a direct question posed to her by Bill O'Reilly today. The interview will air tonight on his show.

It is completely obvious who the Obama supporters are here by their comments. They are the obnoxious rantings and hate-filled ones. Wonder where they learned that?

April 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. suzy

Tell me bloggers – exactly what else is it that you want to know about Hillary? Her life is an open book. Maybe if you researched a bit you would see that instead of going by political ticker headlines to characterize her...
    And if someone asked you a question about Wright, would you not answer, just as ALL of Obama's surrogates have answered?
    You are ridiculous is trying to say that Hillary Clinton has ANYTHING to do with this....now who is trying to twist things?
    Obama supporters have no minds of their own – at least the ones who frequent this site.

April 30, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. The new flavor

Better late than never? HRC should've come out a looooong time ago and when Obama gave the race speech to agree with him and show some party support. It would not have hurt her to do so..she could've stolen some of that shine from his magnificent speech. Now that the media has finally reached a climax with this dead horse, it doesn't seem like the best time to put in her 2 cents.

Since Rev Wright was among Bill's spiritual advisors during their time of need, she should not have been so hands off as if he were a complete stranger. I just don't think her words have any value at this point. Obama has fought this fight by himself and came out like a champ.

8. Marc PDX

Also, I suspect that Hillary's predominant reaction to Rev. Wright's speech at the National Press Club was not offense. I'm sure it was glee as she now benefits from improved poll numbers over Obama as a result. (She must think her supporters are real dimwits to not notice that she's just making hay out of this.)

9. D. Debrowsky

Obama not denouncing Rev Wright before was again an example of "good judgment"

If he had done so- he would have lost his powerful black votes

What better can happen to Obama- the crazy pastor of his decided to run under the bus himself..Blacks are not only supportive to Obama- today they are sympathetic towards Obama and have become even more ardent supporters.

Mark my words ppl- These same Black people (whom no one is even considering today as everyone is after those Blue Collar Voters) will make Obama the NEXT PRESIDENT of USA

Oh BTW- I am not BLACK...and is not it surprising that I am telling so??
    But mark my words....

10. mlw53

You go Hilliary. Wright hasn't change & Obama knows it. This is just to get people to feel SORRY for him, oh POOR OBAMA.... give me a break and he wants to our Chief & Commander. I don't think so. Bow out now Obama, I think I hear your racist Rev. Wright & your racist Wife calling you.

11. Praetorian, Fort Myers

That's typical.
    Chimes in her two cents-then chastises the competition for politicizing the issue.

12. Paula

If Hillary can be so out spoken and say what she feels bothers her -–then -– I should be able to say - she is the BIGGEST DISAPPOINT to me as a women!!!
    She is using gutter tactics and trying to sling mud in the hopes of getting to her final goal of being back in the White House whatever it takes. Her reputation must not mean much to her in her quest to make it. For the stat takers I am an Independent retired white women and I WILL NOT vote for Hillary if she was so lucky to be the "only" person on the ballot in November.

13. NOBAMA, PA Voter

Obama supporters don't want to hear any opinion but their own...

THEY JUST WANT THE OPPOSITION TO GO AWAY

SCARY....

14. Mike from Westchester

Gee, I'm stunned. HRC is keeping this thing going as best as she can. I guess if you've got nothing to offer, trash your competition.

Hillary and O'Reilly – good team – lot's of integrity there. Let's see, Bill Clinton was on Rush Limbaugh's show just about the time Rush started operation chaos, right.

I would say they can't stoop any lower, but I'm sure they will exceed my expectations. I am very glad that it is SOOOO unlikely I will be forced into a Clinton-McCain dilemma. Support your party or cross lines to vote for a little integrity. Now that would be a tough one!

Obama, don't engage her. If you stoop to her level she'll beat you with the one thing she is better at – mudslinging!

15. William, Ca.

Hilliary Clinton is offended by a Black pastor's comments;on the state of things, according to the Word of God. Now that is really a joke. The same , as what is happening to Obama and Rev. Wright, just another lynching ,of a Blackman in "non-racist" America. But we call it "Politics", now.........

16. tara

Who is she running against? Obama or Wright?
    It's so sad, I don't think she even knows anymore.
    Give it up Billery, you have already lost.
    Now accept it and put an end to everyone's misery!

17. Tamara 4 Obama

Go Obama!!!!

Barack The Vote!

18. Uncle Sam

Obama supporters would have us believe that their candidate should not be held responsible for his 20-year affiliation with a black liberation theology church, nor is he responsible for his close relationship with its militant pastor, and certainly not responsible for his friendship with an unrepentant former terrorist, and again, not responsible for his comments in San Francisco. Basically, Sen. Obama is not responsible.

19. Greg Pottstown Pa

All political figures are cheats and lairs. ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Lizzy

You know, I am just about two shakes away from voting Republican this year just because I am SICK TO DEATH of the nasty juvenile comments made mostly by Obama supporters. Grow up, people!!!!! I have never seen such a display of ignorance and arrogance as that posted online by obvious Obama supporters because most of the asinine comments are directed at Clinton. You people are NOT doing your candidate any favors, believe me!

21. Really I Mean Really

She has no place talking about someone else mess. She needed to come out like that when her Husband lied about the whole Monica thing and she needed to come out and say something when Mark Penn went behind the American people's back and tried to get a deal settle with Columbia on her behalf behind closed doors those are the things she needs to handle

22. DMR

(Big) Sigh....Just curious, does anyone miss John Edwards yet?

23. TonyNJ

As Rev. Wright enjoys the spotlight as yet another member of the cult of personality, it makes a voter and taxpayer wonder what effect his teachings had on Mr. Obama? If that "Act" Rev. Wright displayed before the press meeting is any indicator, I believe our nation would be in deep trouble if it was to have as it's President, we are talking about a President of a major world power, if not "the" power, a disciple of Rev. Wrights teachings and beliefs. Twenty some odd years is a very long time. Can our Nation take a chance on the throw of the dice? Heck no! Hillary by far in 08, President Hillary R. Clinton in 09.

April 30, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  24. jimmy

I've come to the conclusion that Obama supporters HATE Hillary now although before his raise to fame and fortune they thought she was the best candidate among those running at the time. No wonder you all like Bill Richardson so much... you would turn your back on your dearest friend or relative in a heart beat.
    Shame on you all... Obama cannot and will not win the GE and it will be his own lack of good judgement and his pitiful supporters that caused the dems to lose to the Republicans.

April 30, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  25. Nunya

'I think it is offensive and outrageous. I regret the Republicans politicizing it. They do it so much better than I do that they make my efforts to politicize it appear quite amateurish.'

April 30, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |