April 30th, 2008

Clinton calls Wright comments 'offensive and outrageous'

Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.
Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Wednesday she personally took offense to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's recent comments, the New York senator’s harshest assessment yet of Barack Obama's former minister.

"I think it’s offensive and outrageous. I’m going to express my opinion, others can express theirs," Clinton told Fox’s Bill O'Reilly. "It is part of just, you know, an atmosphere we’re in today.”

The comments appear to be a shift in Clinton’s tone on the matter. On Tuesday she criticized Republican presidential nominee John McCain for not doing enough to stop Republican ads running in North Carolina and Mississippi that feature Wright's comments.

"I regret the efforts by the Republicans to politicize this matter," Clinton said of the ad.

Speaking at the National Press Club Monday, Wright did not back down from some of his controversial remarks, including those that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS among African-Americans, and his equation of U.S. wartime efforts with terrorism.

Wright also said Obama was acting like a politician in denouncing his controversial sermons.

Speaking with reporters Tuesday, Obama said he was outraged with Wright's latest comments.

"What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing," Obama said, adding that Wright had shown "little regard for me" and seemed more concerned with "taking center stage."

Obama also said Wright's comments were not only "divisive and destructive," but they "end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. JB

stop the drama vote OBAMA!

April 30, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  2. Anne

Hahahahahaha

What's the matter Obama-ites?????

The ONLY reason why Obama brought it up again in his
    speech yesterday is because his numbers are DOWN!

GO HILLARY!!!

April 30, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  3. Dann

How stupid can people be to still support Hillary after she stood up at day time and lies to them. that is more than insulting her suppoter.

she is lucky I cannot meer her

April 30, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  4. Hooray for Hillary!!

OMG – Some of the Obamabots have REALLY LOST their minds – Reverend Wright's crazy comments were a CLINTON CONSPIRACY????????????? Are you all as crazy as Wright himself???????????

I guess Hillary held a gun to Obama's head for 20 years and forced him to go to a racist anti-American church because she knew 20 years ago that Barack was going to run against her for the Democratic nomination 20 years later.

Yeah, makes sense to me – sheesh!

April 30, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  5. Larry

Wow, she's good. I almost believed you.

April 30, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. jfs Memhis, Tn

CNN YOUR girl has changed NETWORKS !!! You better start dishing her.........CNN will show her or any candidate that unless they support CNN, you will deliberately misinterrput or their positions to the viewers ......Right ??? I think that CNN has taken it upon themselves to cram Hillary down our throats at this time. We're tired of it! Bet this doesn't make the posting.

April 30, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  7. skip

She is such a trick!

April 30, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  8. rrgg

GO HILLARY!

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  9. reggymack

Fake, Fake, Fake, and more Fake. Hillary is nothing but an opportunist. She desided to finally say something because she was on TV and millions of people saw it. This is why she have been quiet that past few days on this issue so that she can kiss up to the TV audience. Why don't you dennouce or talk about your former pastor who has been charged as a child molester. The charge is way more than what a pastor could say. Is that what you call taking action. Yes its taking action in the baddest way possible. But of course you know a lot about old men messing with little girls. This is bad to say, I know. So why don't you stick to the issues and stop talking about another democrat. I am sure he will be happy to do so.

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  10. sand

I think it is great...Obama finally for who he is...the only reason he is denouncing is he has been told to..come on...he attended this mans church for 20 years....he is a wolf in sheeps clothing...everyone better take notice...he is not to be trusted!!!!

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  11. James Nelson

She regrets the Republicans politicizing the issue?! And butter doesn't melt in her mouth either.

Has she no shame whatsoever?

This kind of say anything to get elected nonsense– no matter how transparent or patently false– is precisely why she is unfit to be the Democratic nominee

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. Ricky Escalante

Hillary Clinton: you lost my vote. I will stay home or vote for the GOP if you steal this nomination from Obama with your Dirty Tactics. Shame on you. I should let the Clinton campaign know that I started out supporting Senator Clinton.

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. Dayna

Rev Wright is not running for president, maybe we as American citizens who collectively say we want a change, should not allow the candidates to play "High School". Who cares what Wright says, I want to know who can bring order to this sinking ship of a nation, that's it nothing else is important.

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  14. Mary

Hillary, I find your comments 'offensive and outrageous'

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  15. John, NC

Finally, a voice of reason on this whole Obama/Wright fiasco. Thanks, Hillary, for showing your courage and strength. We need a leader like you in the White House! I was initially leaning towards Obama, but he is so caught up in the Wright controversy, Obama has clearly become the wrong choice for America. I'm supporting Hillary now!

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  16. LIONEL ROZARIO

Obama has lost his charm.... just a big yap .. that's all .. Hillary is the real deal...

April 30, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  17. PA for Obama

The Clintons and their entire entourage are a pack of pandering Republicans disguised in Democrats' clothing. Appearing on Faux News is bad enough, but to appear on O'Really?s show is way over the top. Who wants to bet Hannity and Colmes is her next stop?

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  18. georgia

Rev. Wright's veiws are not new & hillary & bill never took offense before (bill knows him well ).In fact his sermon is not offensive & is very supportive of our country & Bill Clinton. Of course the spliced bytes are doing what they were intended to do :create dissention & deflect from real issues as well as the strength of a campaign
    that dwarfs her with truth & inclusiveness . Listen to the entire sermon for youselves (youtube).if they haven't had it pulled. Lies & deceit has dragged the US down long enough !! Also ,Hillary sees nothing wrong w/the long term working relationship her pal,Gov. Rendell has w/ Mr. Farrakhan. My point is don't have selective scrutiny=hypocrit who wants to be pres. at any cost ! tho @ some point you may want to keep your soul .....

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  19. Jay

Listen to this snaky hypocrite of a lierwoman! Is that what you call fighting, Hillary?
    An empty barrel makes more noise than a full and heavy one.

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. HJ, Richmond

I have said this before and I will say it again. The Clintons will do anything to win, even if it means destroying the party or the eventual nominee!

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  21. Ron

Why do we care what he says anyway??? Do any of us have a great respect for the man? If not, why listen?

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  22. Independent

I guess she found his words 'offensive and outrageous' when he was invited to the White House after Bill got caught tapping Monica...

and now in other news...

Clinton-Linked Group Behind Deceptive North Carolina Robo-Calls

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  23. enough already

VERY FUNNY – Hillary claims "she would not have stayed in the church if Wright were her pastor." WELL Dear Hillary – MOST women would not have stayed in a marriage where the husband cheats every chance he gets. Judge NOT lest you be judged!!!

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  24. Bob

Hillary, you are a loser. Accept your fate and now go and sit with your husband. You are not going to make it to the White House, unless invited by the new President. Sorry, Hillary.....

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  25. Dann

what ever Hillary does under the stage to get Obama to lose she will not win. SO WHY???????????
    I think bad spirit still reign on this earth

April 30, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |