April 30th, 2008

Clinton calls Wright comments 'offensive and outrageous'

Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.
Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Wednesday she personally took offense to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's recent comments, the New York senator’s harshest assessment yet of Barack Obama's former minister.

"I think it’s offensive and outrageous. I’m going to express my opinion, others can express theirs," Clinton told Fox’s Bill O'Reilly. "It is part of just, you know, an atmosphere we’re in today.”

The comments appear to be a shift in Clinton’s tone on the matter. On Tuesday she criticized Republican presidential nominee John McCain for not doing enough to stop Republican ads running in North Carolina and Mississippi that feature Wright's comments.

"I regret the efforts by the Republicans to politicize this matter," Clinton said of the ad.

Speaking at the National Press Club Monday, Wright did not back down from some of his controversial remarks, including those that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS among African-Americans, and his equation of U.S. wartime efforts with terrorism.

Wright also said Obama was acting like a politician in denouncing his controversial sermons.

Speaking with reporters Tuesday, Obama said he was outraged with Wright's latest comments.

"What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing," Obama said, adding that Wright had shown "little regard for me" and seemed more concerned with "taking center stage."

Obama also said Wright's comments were not only "divisive and destructive," but they "end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Yonas

She is just finished. I don't why in the world she is still now in the race. She can't win the nomination.....that's the bottom line. She is just bickering the whole process. What a loser!!

April 30, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Ann

What exactly is your problem people who throw mud to Hillary for a story that happened in the Obama camp? She is not responsible for Obama's bad judgment. You know it but you still accuse her.

Hillary'08!

April 30, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  3. Realistic

This will backfire on Hillary - another political miscalculation by her in a long line of political miscalculations by her.

April 30, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  4. libby

Oh Hilary Pul-lease! The lady sitting next to pastor Wright on the stage was one of your staunches supporters. If you are going to denounce Reverend Wright then also denounce the lady who was sitting next to him who happens to be one of your supporters. This was a set-up by your campaign and you need to stop lying and continuing your attacks on Mr. Obama.

April 30, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  5. Was Barry Obama

I did not analyze this point until I read this blog. Why is everyone so histil to Hillary. She has nothing to do with the fact that Barry O is having a problem. He may win the nomination, but he will will never win the general election. He is a liar and dirty politician who will say it is good at the moment. Religion is supposed to be something that transcends politics. But, guess Barry forgot this in a rally!

WAS OBAMA – now anyone else!!!!

April 30, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  6. John in PA

Obamabots – nothing is won until someone reaches 2,025. At the current rate of split Supers, no one is going to have it, thus both have the same claim to the nomination. Obama should do the country a favor and drop out now. He is not electable. All this drama proves it. Latest national polls show Hillary widening a lead.

April 30, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  7. Jim

I find her statements curious, because what I am hearing is that the organizer of the press club appearance by rev. Wright was a major Clinton backer. Could it be that the Clinton campaign had a role in getting Rev. Wright back in the public eye? I hope the media takes a long hard look at who organized this event.

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  8. SDunn

Obama lies? Whoever you are? There are horrible comments from both sides. You Hillary Supporters are not above the fray whatsoever. I have seen many racist comments from your side and name calling disrespecting Obama. So stop acting like it's one sided. Also Hillary is a very polarizing and devisive person. She can not be trusted. You keep bring up the fact that Obama lies. Excuse me? Are you blinded by your candidate that much????? If someone can blatantly lie about Bosnia 4 times like that, then what else are they capable of lying about. She has a history of lying starting from when she was on the team to prosecute Nixon. Please do some research on your candidate before you throw stones. She has lied all througout this campaign and you're too blind to see that.

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  9. Marv...

Hill is correct, but I'm sick of the Wright issue. I've had very close friends who I though lost their freak’ in minds as time past. We choice different paths in life. I would hate if someone tried to tie me to their opinions now. We were close, we went to school together, and we worshipped together. If they were in need even to this day, I would give them the shirt of my back. Even still... I don't agree with their racist remarks.

Wright has nothing to do with Obama. Wright proved that Monday. Wright is not a friend to Hillary or Obama. I'm voting for Obama because he's been there and he's there now. He can bring our people (Americans) together. We are black. We are white, we are asian, we are latin and we are one.

Go Obama.

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  10. Carol

Maybe Rev. Wright could lead the country in a prayer that this woman will SHUT UP AND GO AWAY!!

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  11. Laura

Do any of you remember listening to one of the soundbytes that Rev. Wright used in his sermon in front of 8000 persons that mentioned Bill Clinton and Monica. So don't act like Hillary should love this man and not say how she feels about him.

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  12. Kerri

I cannot believe that you people are blinded by OBAMA he is all talk. In some of your eyes he is GOD, Obama can fix the whole world, keep beliving that if you want. And for some of you to say you agree with Rev. Wright come on. If a white person said anything close to what this monster is preaching then Al Sharpton would be marching down the street. Racism is a two way street people. WAKE UP.

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  13. Anonymous

For the last month plus, your news coverage (TV) has been pro OBAMA it appears CNN is trying to get him elected. The only time you hear Hillary mentioned is when there is a primary or when there is something negative for CNN to cover about her. If Hillary had as much (TV) coverage from you as OBAMA has had wonder if the polls would be different. Hillary has done well with what little coverage she had even it has been negative.

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  14. Wael

Not only is she a Liar(Monica's right wing controversy, the bosnia sniper episode, promising NY 200,00 jobs only for NY to lose 30,000 ), and a backstabber(says she will not run negative adds or address Wright controversy only to run negative adds against his stance on the oll tax issue and then discuss Wright with O'reilly) , she is also a flip flopper (promoted NAFTA with Bill and now is against it, DNC rules she signed on to on MI and FL and now wants to annul, whining about being asked questions first and then telling Obama he should be able to take the heat, Iraq War vote, etc...) and an opportunist who would adopt McCain's ideas and make them hers for short terms feel good political gains even it they are bad for Americans:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A gas tax holiday proposed by U.S. presidential hopefuls John McCain and Hillary Clinton is viewed as a bad idea by many economists and has drawn unexpected support for Clinton rival Barack Obama, who also is opposed.

Anyone who votes for her is a dark sadistic person....

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. SICK OF HRC POSTURING

LET THIS LASTEST NEWS SNIPPET BE SEEN FOR WHAT IT IS: CLINTONITE POLITICAL MANIPULATION............ IF HRC TOLD ME THE SKY WAS BLUE, I WOULD GO OUTSIDE AND LOOK FOR MYSELF.

VOTE HOPE, NOT FEAR!

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  16. Deb Stover

Hi. I just heard on POTUS 08 that the LA Times ran an article that it was one of Hillary Clinton's supporters who set up the interview with Jeremiah Wright at the National Press Club. I was wondering how that happened– now it makes sense.

April 30, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  17. Neutral

Without the help of WRIGHT Obama has NO CHANCE in hell to be politics! Wright is a very influential theologian and well respected by his colleagues. Obama has NO USE for him now, he's thrown under the bus like his white grandmother and others who became a drag for his ambition. You're only good to Obama if he has use of you, other than that, you're worthless!

Guess what folks, Obama will NEVER be President of USA. This country will NOT elect an ULTRA LIBERAL in the Whitehouse. Here comes another McGovern, clone of Carter. One thing with the democratic party, they ALWAYS know how to LOSE, they have it pat down right to the nitty gritty. The democrats should change their party name to LOSERS PARTY; that's what all of you Dems amounts to, a bunch of losers! You eat your own! BLEEDING LIBERALS!

April 30, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. oh really?

Wright was yesterday, Hillary. We're on issues today.

Please try to keep up.

April 30, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  19. Anne

I guess Obama DOESN'T walk on water after all!!!

April 30, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  20. norm

hmmmmmmmmm. What the heck is she up to now??

April 30, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  21. TerrenceW from NC

I wonder what Hillary's take on her own pastor being sent up for 3 years for touching a lil girl? WHy isn't she making a public statement on that?

April 30, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  22. Michael

She is only now saying this because Obama finally came out and said the he was outraged. It really isn't her issue.

Also, sad that Obama had to full out reject Reverend Wright... if you watched the Bill Moyers interview, Wright is actually an amazing man, in terms of his intelligence, his eloquence, and what he has done for the people around him. Sad that he now is public enemy #1 and Obama had to denounce him just to help fight off Clinton.

Although, I am trying to see this all in a positive light: Obama has to make some sacrifices, such as cutting ties with someone who is so important to him... so that he can become president, for the greater good.

April 30, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  23. Michigan

If HRC said the sky was blue, I would go outside to check for myself.

April 30, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  24. Emmi

My, My, My... the attitudes from the obama supporters say a lot about their candidate and their own characters.

Hillary had nothing to do with Obama sitting in those stinky pews for 20 years nor did she have anything to do with the NAACP having Wright on their menu. Barbara Reynolds is but ONE member of the board that chooses guests and she did want to invite him- two years ago but the board found him to be "not newsworthy".

I guess they changed their minds.

While we're at it- Hillary had nothing to do with the arrogant statements that Obama made in San Fran, either. Those that cling to their guns and religion and antipathy to immigrants and strangers got to hear that first hand.

April 30, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  25. HARVEY SAN NICOLAS

MR. OBAMA SAT IN HIS PEW FOR 20 YEARS AS A MEMBER OF WRIGHTS CHURCH, AND MAYBE I CAN'T ALWAYS SMELL THE COFFEE, BUT SEEMS TO ME THAT 20 YEARS IS ENOUGH TIME TO
    FIGURE OUT WHERE A PERSON'S IDEALS AND CONVICTIONS COME FROM. MY DAD USED TO SAY IF IT QUACKS LIKE A DUCK WALKS LIKE A DUCK CHANCES ARE ITS PROBABLY A DUCK.

April 30, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |