April 30th, 2008

Clinton calls Wright comments 'offensive and outrageous'

Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.
Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Wednesday she personally took offense to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's recent comments, the New York senator’s harshest assessment yet of Barack Obama's former minister.

"I think it’s offensive and outrageous. I’m going to express my opinion, others can express theirs," Clinton told Fox’s Bill O'Reilly. "It is part of just, you know, an atmosphere we’re in today.”

The comments appear to be a shift in Clinton’s tone on the matter. On Tuesday she criticized Republican presidential nominee John McCain for not doing enough to stop Republican ads running in North Carolina and Mississippi that feature Wright's comments.

"I regret the efforts by the Republicans to politicize this matter," Clinton said of the ad.

Speaking at the National Press Club Monday, Wright did not back down from some of his controversial remarks, including those that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS among African-Americans, and his equation of U.S. wartime efforts with terrorism.

Wright also said Obama was acting like a politician in denouncing his controversial sermons.

Speaking with reporters Tuesday, Obama said he was outraged with Wright's latest comments.

"What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing," Obama said, adding that Wright had shown "little regard for me" and seemed more concerned with "taking center stage."

Obama also said Wright's comments were not only "divisive and destructive," but they "end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. ex hillary supporter

Hilliary's former pastor was on MSNBC this morning defending Wright! All in all, Hillary has baggage as well as Obama. At the end of the day I have to say my choice is Obama. How come when Hill lies or has one of these issues, she can clean it up by saying "oh it was a mistake". Open your eyes people!

April 30, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. scared of her

Didn't her supporter set the entire thing up? Her little scheme backfired.

April 30, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. wyliffe

shut up! hypocrite...Hillary

April 30, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. 28 year old White MAN in FLORIDA

i heard the full speach from rev wright...............and everything he said was correct............there are dozens of books that states the aids virus was created to kill off africans and african americans.... and guess wat .... there are facts to back it up......so say what you want about rev wright but he was absolutly right on point....

OBAMA 08...

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  5. lizet

Why can't you accept the realities of life...she is a strong and smart woman! and that is what we need to pull us out of trouble. If Obama can not stand this he should pack and go back home!

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Zoey

As a Obama supporter, I give kudos to Hiliary on her stand against the RNC in North Carolina. Now I would like for us to move on because they are more pressing issues such as gas prices, social security, the economy, and etc.

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. John, Brooklyn, NY

Hillary seems to be willing to stop at nothing. Have we parsed every sermon of HER minister's sermons? What does her hairdresser have to say about public policy? Chelsea's former nanny? I'm sure she has a thing or two to add!

Not only is she ruthless, she's also a hypocrite! ONe day she criticizes McCain for politicizing Wright – then she decides to do it herself.

Not only has her bahavior pushed me further toward supporting Obama – she's also convinced me that NY needs a new senator!

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. Larry Smith Tolland CT

Who cares we need McCain in office. Clinton and Obama drop out now!

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. A. Harrison

Lordy....Is this news...I think she was again, ASKED A QUESTION.....Now all of a sudden it's posted as if she Spoke out on it Voluntarily.

HILLARY 2008!

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  10. gabe/southdakota

it's called freedom of speech, people!
    wright speaks for certain people in the same way that jerry falwell did.
    does anyone ever speak out against those christians who say 9-11 happened because of homosexuality? no, it's just swept under the rug.
    there are real issues at hand–let's focus on them (i'm talking to you mainstream media!)

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  11. Sher

Bye Bye Obama. We need stability in a leader. Not scandal from day one. The sad thing is that it was your own people that drug you down. Of course you chose them.

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  12. Rafael

Type in on the web 'Magnequench' and look at that new news story, perhaps someone has 'mispoke' again????

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  13. Frank, San Diego

After reading post chains like this for months now, I have been forced to accept what friends of mine have been telling me all along.

I now suspect that most of the people representing themselves as Democrats here are, in fact, Republicans trying to stir the pot.

The biggest reason I have come around to that view is the number of people who claim that if their candidate (either Clinton or Obama) is denied the nomination, they will cross over and vote for McCain.

There is simply nothing in my experience that would lead me to believe that there is anyone on the planet who is that stupid.

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  14. tuff Col. Oh

yea she's speaking against him now for political gain, she better, but at the end of the day she will not get the black vote espically if she steals the no mination from Obama obama 08

April 30, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  15. Peter

Why haven`t hillarys pastor getting any focus in the news?
    Her Pastor has actually DONE something EXTREMLY BAD but Obamas pastor has just SAID something bad. I think doing is worse than saying....

April 30, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  16. Alaska Voter

Sounding more like Obama every day ...

Way to go Hillary, step right up ... and behind Obama.

If you can't 'em, join 'em.

April 30, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  17. Shane, It's make you wonder

The United States did create Aids. It is a record of the Appropriations Hearing that was held in July of 1969, where the Department of the Army specifically requested and received $10 million to develop "a synthetic biological agent that would impair or destroy the human immune system. The Kissinger Memorandum, the Army Appropriations Hearing, the articles from the World Health Organization; these are official records - facts of history - that can not be disputed. The World Health Organization went into Central Africa in 1972 - into an area that is known as the "AIDS Belt" - and administered a smallpox vaccination to several thousands of Africans. This event was followed immediately by the first outbreak of AIDS on this planet - a remarkable coincidence - that was noted as a Front Page Headline in the London Times, but has never even been mentioned in the US Media - never even mentioned. Another startling fact that was never mentioned in the mainstream media - the Hepatitis B Vaccine that was given to several thousand male homosexuals in New York and San Francisco in 1978. The fact is, every single person who received that vaccine contracted AIDS - every single one of them - without exception. That is what the first American victims of AIDS all had in common. They were receivers of the Hepatitis B Vaccine. It is a document fact. AIDS began in America in 1978 in the homosexual communities of New York and San Francisco, immediately following a government-sponsored program of Hepatitis B Vaccinations. This is all completely documented - it is completely true. Here's my theory, and this is all it is - is a theory - that they'll find a cure when about 1 billion people on this planet have died from AIDS, starvation and disease - all over the world, all of sudden Eli Lilly, who is one of the major corporations doing AIDS research - and coincidentally, George Bush on the Board of Eli Lilly - when they finally eliminate huge sections of the population, which is what they always wanted throughout the 1960's and 1970's, because of over-population - it's called "mitigating the problem." They feel that AIDS and famine and disease will mitigate the problem of over-population. I suspect that around the year 2010 or so, all of a sudden Eli Lilly will announce that they've found a phenomenal cure for AIDS, but not until a lot of people die.

April 30, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  18. Freddie Keyes

To Ms. Clintion

As a married woman myself with a daughter I would never have allow my husband to commit adultery and allow him to stay in our home. I wanted my daughter to know, if a man do it once he will do it again. Hillary, please DENOUNCE YOU HUSBAND. And to the American People can someone please help me with the following questions:

1. Catholic Priest has raped their youth for years. Do I hear anyone asking those member to be responsible for the priest act or leave the church.

2. Hillary, to my understanding is Methodist, hopefully I am correct based on the MEDIA. If you know anything about the Methodist, they do no accept Gay people within the church. Can the Media please ask Hillary to step down.

3. Hillary, it is also my understand your formal Pastor is in Jail for raping a youth at your church. Please ste down Hillary you are responsible.

Listen to me, if America would tell the truth we are all in churches where the pastor say and make comment we do not agree with. If I left a church everytime I heard something I did not like I would never, never, never go to church.

As a white female who belongs to an all white church, my pastor has told us personally he doesn't want an African American to preach in our church. TO CNN,MSNBC, and Fox news please stop the act of perfect we are all around someone who we do not agree with. There are time I do not agree nor understand the way my child talk or think, should I disown her. Please American the fact is we have dogged OBAMA and set different standard once again for Black American. I rather a pastor talking mess then the Chief of Commander who is a liar. Pretending someone is shooting over your head is not funny.

I thinking this is so wrong to contiune to treat human in this manner.

ONE FINAL QUESTIONS TO ALL WHITE AND AFRICAN AMERICAN

1) WHO CAN STAND UP AND TELL EVERYONE IN THIS WORLD THAT WHITE PEOPLE ARE NOT RACIST. WHO CAN STAND UP AND TELL EVERYONE IN THIS THAT AFRICAN AMERICAN ARE NOT RACIST.

April 30, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  19. Jim

It's a free country she can say whatever she wants. Don't tell her to shut up just don't vote for her. If Wright can unleash his racist rants like projectile vomit she can speak her mind. For you Obama lovers don't get mad at her for cashing the check Wright has written with his mouth. If anyone should shut up to help Obama win-it's Wright!

April 30, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  20. Rich

She was asked a question is the lamest cop out ever. They get asked these questions every day. And when you answer it one way during the weekend and then condemn other politicians for hyping it and then the next day you hype it up yourself thats called pandering or in the real world being dishonest. I will never vote for Clinton I'm voting for Nadar if Obama is not the nominee.

April 30, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. Lori

Why isn't important for Americans to understand who Wright is? Wright contends that he has been reduced to simple "audio clips". I heard his full National Press speech and I have to say, it was scary. Even scarier was the thought that the next president was listening to that type of preaching for over 20 years. I don't see how it cannot change how one sees Obama. If Obama ever heard Wright preach even one time that the United States created the Aids virus as a means to annihalte minorities, well I think that's pretty important for Americans to know.

This election is not about black, white, male or female. It's about the candiate with the best credentials to change the path of this country and work on fixing our ties with the rest of the world.

April 30, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. The Truth

She wants to take the attention away from her ridiculous tax cuts by bringing up DISTRACTIONS just same OLD poliTricks

April 30, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  23. Keith

It comes as no surprise that Hillary woudl make a comment that is clearly intended to keep this issue alive. She cannot beat Obama on substantive issues so she is enlisitng the help of the media to bring him down. I am concerned that America will not see through this and see that only Barrack Obama truly has concern over what is best for America. Both Hillary and McCain want to have a gas tax holiday...this would be a disaster and by the way have you seen either of them actually make a proposal...they both knwo this will never get through the legislature for the following reasons:
    It will actually be worse for our economy, costing jobs and revenue in already hard hit states...this will likey even push the foreclosure problem further.
    We need desperatly to repair our crumbling infrastructure, do you remeber the bridge collapse?

Hillary doesn't care about America, she cares about her Elitest self!

April 30, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  24. D Ruiz

Hilliary 08 – Go Hillary

April 30, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  25. William, Ca.

And another thing. The "News Media"- "Slumbags, I would call them. They just fall all over themselves, to "voice" their opinions about some ones else's loyalty to America... I hope they enjoy, their 15 mins. in the lime light..".Vanity is Vanity"................All dogs have their day..God's words are true, nothing else matters!!!!

April 30, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |