April 30th, 2008

Clinton calls Wright comments 'offensive and outrageous'

Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.
Clinton sharply criticized Wright Wednesday.

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Wednesday she personally took offense to the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's recent comments, the New York senator’s harshest assessment yet of Barack Obama's former minister.

"I think it’s offensive and outrageous. I’m going to express my opinion, others can express theirs," Clinton told Fox’s Bill O'Reilly. "It is part of just, you know, an atmosphere we’re in today.”

The comments appear to be a shift in Clinton’s tone on the matter. On Tuesday she criticized Republican presidential nominee John McCain for not doing enough to stop Republican ads running in North Carolina and Mississippi that feature Wright's comments.

"I regret the efforts by the Republicans to politicize this matter," Clinton said of the ad.

Speaking at the National Press Club Monday, Wright did not back down from some of his controversial remarks, including those that seemed to suggest the U.S. government might be responsible for the spread of AIDS among African-Americans, and his equation of U.S. wartime efforts with terrorism.

Wright also said Obama was acting like a politician in denouncing his controversial sermons.

Speaking with reporters Tuesday, Obama said he was outraged with Wright's latest comments.

"What particularly angered me was his suggestion somehow that my previous denunciation of his remarks were somehow political posturing," Obama said, adding that Wright had shown "little regard for me" and seemed more concerned with "taking center stage."

Obama also said Wright's comments were not only "divisive and destructive," but they "end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Debbie

Lets see if she tells the voters that she and Bill called Rev Wright, out of all of the Pastors in this country, to the White house for counsel during the Monica situation.

ANd for all of you people who are stuck on stupid, including the media, "how can he sit in the church for 20 years" how can Catholics still attend their churches. Molesting children is a lot worse than hate. Molestation is personal. People still send their children to these churches. Nobody's whining about that. He was a member of the church because of the good that the Ministry was doing.

April 30, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  2. Obama lies

Who can still believe Obama?

He either lies about his good judgement…

or he is lying about not being able to discern the true character, politics and agenda of his mentor and pastor of 20 years.

Can't be both ways.

Obama is nothing but a slick lying hypocrit.

3. James

Why no mention of Ed Rendell, her #1 PA supporter, and the praise he lavished upon Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam?

4. Terri

So she needs to appear on the O'Rielly factor to express her veiw on Rev. Wright?

Yeah Right.

Ok tell me anything she is so pathetic

I will never ever ever ever vote for Hillary. I would prefer to have another 4years of McSame at least I know where they stand and what I would need to expect.

I use to love Bill and Hillary. Thank God that I have seen the light of the true Bill and Hillary . Who would have ever thought.

5. kim palo alto

Hiliary, Hiliary, go away and don't come back any day!!!

6. John, veteran US Army

It Is Official: Hillary Clinton is A Republican. For her to Pander on Rev. Wright by going on the Fox’s Bill O'Reilly Show is the final nail in the coffin for me. Not to mention her stupid idea to follow John McCain off the cliff on the Gas Tax Idea, the "Commander in Chief" test and wanting to start WW III by blowing Iran off the face of the earth. What I cannot figure out is why Clinton and McCain are not on the Same ticket.

7. JohnLee

I expect all religious leaders to be radical and one sided and deranged. So why this is still a story is beyond me. Of course I know Hillary wants to keep this story in the news because it is her way of winning although a sad way. Waiting for the democrats to realize just how they are screwing themselves in an election year that should be their's to win!

8. Anonymous

I can't stand this lady...She is the biggest JOKE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SN in MN

All you Obamabots who are ranting and name calling like children, if Sen Clinton bothers you so much, please take your toys and go home. You aren't mature enough for grownup things like selecting a president.

10. Obama lies

The Obama supporters blog nothing but hatred and divisiveness- just like their hypocritical candidate.

I never get posted- so I added the above negative comment- CNN likes negative. Sorry but I won't go vulgar like the Obama people.

Obama, with his good judgement, was unable to discern the true character, see the political positions or see the agenda of his close friend, mentor and pastor of TWENTY years.

It only took Americans a few hours or days to see the narcisistic and egotistical bombastic Wright for who he is.

What does that speak of Obama's judgement when dealing with world leaders and discerning their true intent?

Or… is it just political posturing to only NOW distance himself from Wright?

Either way it is BAD news.

11. Ruyh W Campbell

I agree with Jeremiah Wright. How others respond is a sign of their insecurity because they know he is speaking the truth. If they agree publically they ruin their own careers because the country lives in fear of the truth. We are terrorists only we hide it. We do not care medically for all people in this country equally nor do we provide equal educational opportunities foreveryone. Children are exploited by our media and large corporations all for their own financial benefit a form of slavery. This country is a big plantation gradually pulling the poor of the world into slavery for the sake of the almighty dollar. Why do only a few people dare to speak out. Watch what happens to me, I bet I'll be on CIA watchlist now! PS I am a Christian.

12. sheena

Why is CNN not mentioning or covering the fraud case filed against the Clintons--just this morning it was stated the judge was setting a date.

13. R.T.

Nothing to see here. Move along. At least that's what the Obamaphytes are praying for.

14. Beka

I think its offensive that you lie and claim you are a strong independent woman when you could never get anywhere without your husband...

BARACK OBAMA IS A HERO WHO HAS STOOD UP TO A VERY DANGEROUS GROUP OF PEOPLE...ANYONE WITH A BRAIN KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE LAST PERSON WHO DECIDED TO PREACH UNITY AGAINST THE DIVISIVE TEACHINGS OF A REV WRIGHT OR LOUIS FARRAHKAN....HE WAS SHOT 20 TIMES IN FRONT OF HIS WIFE AND 5 DAUGHTERS.

15. James

She had to say something instead of letting play out.

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  16. Credit

Hillary Clinton has never been shy of taking credit for something successful, so why is she giving the 'Republicans' (see: Hillary Clinton) credit for giving the Rev. Wright stories legs. Nobody cares what Fox 'News' or John McCain have to say on most issues anymore, so if Clinton wasn't bringing it up and trying to pin the Rev's comments on Obama at every opportunity, they'd have gone away long ago.

Oh, I know why... now she's got to convince progressives and independents to vote for her if she's successful in thwarting Obama's nomination.

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  17. Mauri

CNN, you are wonderful to print all these messages from we the people, even though some are downright mean.

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  18. Concerned Voter

You Obama maniacs are amazingly distasteful.

You have a candidate who is in political hot water brought on to himself, and I hear all this complaining that it was "Hillary", "she put Wright back out", "she paid him off", why not stop making false accusations and blame your candidate for once.

He brought on the "NAFTA" issue on himself, "BITTER" comments, "PASTER" issue... but ITS HILLARY's FAULT!!

You all are not deserving of a winner in November... and as a life long Democrate.. you make me understand why so many Dems will go to McCain or stay home.

To be honest... I dont think OBAMA'S SELF INFLICTED wounds will have much of an effect on Tuesday... or even in the remaining primary states, because I am convinced the Democrates are set in stone in having him as their nominee... whatever happens, THEY WILL TAKE OBAMA......
    Leaving behind who probably is their best shot at gaining the white house.

Just thoughts of a concerned democratic voter, who has observed the notion that Obama is a non wrong doing saint... who does not have to take responsibility for anything!!!

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  19. Mary, North Carolina

Now she wants to open her mouth!!

she started this crap in the first place, she never intended to get the BLACK VOTE!!!!

Now Her Base Of White Women Are Starting To Turn On Her!!

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  20. i'll say it again

I never get posted- Sorry but I won't go vulgar like the Obama people.

Or… is it just political posturing to only NOW distance himself from Wright?

Either way it is BAD news.

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  21. Ron, Las Vegas

I find it interesting that Hillary is now so cozy with all the right wing conspirators, She will use any venue to try and get the nomination. I guess her penchant for telling the truth and representing the facts is the same as that of Fox. Both are biased and untrustworthy.

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  22. McBride, SLC, UT

This is appauling. Hillary Clinton has sunk to a new low! Sitting down with Bill O'Reilley on FOX NEWS! Unfair and UnBalanced. I was a big supporter for the Clinton's all through the 90's. I cannot believe what I am seeing before my eyes. This is exactly why I am supporting Barack Obama. The politics of personal destruction that the Clintons once were outraged about now runs their campaign. Barack Obama apparently is the only one to move our Country forward. Shame on you Hillary Clinton. You will never have my vote?

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  23. DeniseGA

Yeah let your supporter put Wright on Air, and then criticize Obama!
    Carefull Hillary you multiple personalities are showing again!

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  24. Paul Dobro

SuperDs Obama is +10 now for elected officials that are SuperDs while Hillary is +31 (not sure if the Purto Rico Super D is elected or not, but that person is sure not elected in the US and cannot vote for president).

April 30, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  25. John B. From New Hampshire

Kayln April 30th, 2008 3:47 pm ET

Hey …how come CNN not talking about "Clinton's proposal on gas tax cut

MSNBC is talking about it

. Thats because MSNBC is in the toliet for obama