April 30th, 2008

McCain accuses Obama of hypocrisy on gas tax stand

ALLENTOWN, Pennsylvania (CNN) – In a press conference Wednesday, John McCain trained his fire on Barack Obama’s opposition to a so-called “gas tax holiday,” accusing the Democratic presidential hopeful of hypocrisy.

On the gas tax issue, McCain said that while Obama refuses to endorse “a gas tax holiday” later this summer, he had “voted for it several times when the price of gasoline was about a dollar and a half per gallon,” referring to Obama's record in the Illinois state senate.

Obama, along with many economic analysts, has said the gas tax holiday – a suspension of the gasoline tax designed to put a few more dollars in the pockets of summer travelers – is little more than a “gimmick” to curry favor with voters.

McCain and Hillary Clinton both support a gas tax holiday. Despite criticism from analysts, McCain insisted he does not see temporary gas tax relief as a cure-all.

“Is this a panacea?” McCain remarked. “Is this addressing our dependence on foreign oil and the rising cost of gasoline in America? Of course not. But it's a nice little break for Americans, particularly lower income Americans who, generally speaking drive further and drive older cars, which then increases their costs at the gas pump.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain
  1. NickNas

WOW McSame is attacking Obama for bucking Bushs plan. You could knock me over with a feather.

April 30, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  2. HillarySkank on myspace

Whoever McCain's VP pick is will be a very luck man or woman. As old as this dude is, I know he'd never be able to run for two terms. After the mess Hitlery has made of the democrat primary, McCain will win no matter who eventually prevails. Yes, I'll hate myself for doing it but at least I could live with myself. The same wouldn't be true if I ever lost my mind and voted for the former second lady.

April 30, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  3. mitch from ark.

mccain's plan is simple pandering that doesn't do anything for anybody,just like his stupid war in iraq.

April 30, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  4. Stephen Davids

This is rich! McCain calling someone else a hypocrit? Oh my word. Well, I guess he would know better thyan most.

It may be time that Barack reaches below his rhetoric and start the smear tactics. I'm fairly sure this is NOT what he wants, but the bigger picture is more important.

There is ample fodder... It would be as sad as watching this Wright non-issue.

What type of nation and people are we? Intentionally ignorant, poorly educated, money grubbing "I got mine, you go get your own even if I only need 10% of what I have," society.

What have we come too? That we, as a nation, have allowed this to occur is beyond disgraceful. Rigged elections, ego-centric leaders, stupidity at the upper levels of world leadership, and fear.

Fear, fear, fear! Watch-out, your shadow may be a terrorist!

We allow torture here in the USA. We have occupied another county (like Sadam in Kuwait) against thier will for no reason. Oh my lord... what have we come too?

I'm ashamed of America. Moreover, I'ma ashamed of of myself. I didn't try hard enough, I know I could have done more. What have I allowed? What have we allowed?

The phrase "God bless America" takes on new meaning today. Today it's a plea for help, no longer a joyous acknowledgement of a wonderful country.

April 30, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  5. Bob

So all of the thinking citizens. Who realize that the mcLame / Hillary gas tax gimmick is pure political showboating. Now we are all hypocrits? NOT!

April 30, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  6. Sante

(Please Post)

I personally believe that the NObama/Wright controversy was staged.

I believe that NObama used this farce as an opportunity to get on a platform and look emotional and apologetic to the American people.

I believe that NObama knew that he was losing momentum and needed to appeal (emotional) to the country.

NObama knew that he NEVER denounced himself from Wright, so he needed to try and do the right thing, to appeal to the Catholics, blue collar workers and white male voters that he was losing.

NObama and Wright are like two peas in a pod, this was staged I say!!!

Go Hillary!!!

Don't buy into NObamas false beliefs, he's a wolf in sheeps clothing!

Did anyone else believe that this could be?

April 30, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. marie

I dont think that the gas tax is a good ideal for 3 months, then when 3 months is up the gas prices jumps up higher than it was. If they give a gas tax break then they will have to raise taxes somewhere else. Im with Obama on this one.

April 30, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  8. Lisa

It is a gimmick you idiot old geezer. It is gonna save the average person approx. $9 per month. Where the heck do you figure we are gonna go on vacation for $9? I don't have a rich spouse with millions to fall back on. If its the best you can do then just keep it. I don't want nor need your charity. If you can't offer a real solution then just shut your mouth.

April 30, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  9. Ostriches burying our heads in the sand

"McCain said the tax relief would simply let people “enjoy their summer and their vacation a little more.”

~ Well this shows how out of touch McCain is with ordinary people- if he thinks saving $25 will help regular folks enjoy their vacation better!

People can only think of enjoying a vacation when they have money to go on a vacation in the first place and in the world I live in, $25 ain't enuf for that!

April 30, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  10. Lieutenant Colonel Fred

McCain don't you see that this "NICE LITTLE BREAK" is going to cost us more in the long term?

April 30, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  11. Sharon Minnesota

Wow, John has found out what all discerning democrats knew all along. Obama is a hypocrite not to mention inexperienced, questionable friends, and God knows what else.

Hillary Clinton 08 09 and beyond

April 30, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  12. Ryan P.

That's okay, Mr. McClintonBushCain. Nice try though. Why don't you just give out another $50 as tax relief which is about what you are talking about on this gas tax relief? You obviously don't understand, don't care to understand, and most of all don't choose right advisers on economy.

April 30, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  13. John McHenry

NO Mac ;You are wrong, This gas tax holiday is Bad for america. Our roads and bridges needs tobe upgraded and U want to stick a deficit again to us. This is a bad Idea and OBAMA wins on this,
    Mac do not become a HYPOCRITE

April 30, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  14. Eddie

That is interesting,enjoy your summer by saving $30.00 on gas ,wow.I do not see how this helps me or you.Every person that is in a low income bracket does not drive a dodge dart,this is not Cuba or Panama.This is a person who says Obama is out of touch,amazing.

April 30, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  15. Brian

what break? it will create more demand which higher prices!

April 30, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  16. Brian

McCain has been a Senator for how long? now he says he is the solution??? Sounds like he is part of the problem.

April 30, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  17. Priscilla for Obama

McCain, you old prune, Obama knows what he is doing. You don't!

April 30, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  18. Willy

Of course he is. Obama is a left wing liberal who hates tax cuts.

April 30, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  19. Ryan, New York, NY

If the economy is in such shambles, maybe Americans shouldn't be taking so many vacations until we get it turned around. Aside from that, I'm sure people will appreciate that $30 at about the same time they pop a tire on a pothole because we didn't spend that money fixing roads. Or better yet, when a bridge collapses.

I'm in the top 20% for income and I haven't had a vacation since 2005, excluding trips to my visit my parents for the Christmas holidays, which is hardly a "vacation."

April 30, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  20. CYNTHIA

The Big Super Pot calling this Honest man that is stupid. He lies and has cheated and is still cheating what a Crock!

April 30, 2008 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  21. ron

Spoken by someone that has little knowledge of Econmics.

Go Obama/Edwards 08

April 30, 2008 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  22. What Really Happend

McCain...One was for a state tax and one is for a federal tax...you are comparing apples to oranges. Also, the economy was in a different shape than it is now.

April 30, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  23. susie

The uniter, Obama, seems to be the divider!!

April 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  24. Debbie

McCain doesn't seem to know Iraq from Iran, so how could he criticize anything anybody else says. I can't wait for the debates – he would be able to remember – he gets confused on the campaign trail.

April 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  25. Walt Doering

Well, McCain, Obama has grown in wisdom and judgement when it comes to the gas tax holiday, while you and Hillary arepandering to voters who believe this quick fix will be their salvation. What nonsense!

As you, McCain, and Hillary know, this is not a long-term permanent solution. It will save people approximately $45 over a three month period. But then, due to the increased use of gasoline, it will raise the price of gas far beyond what they saved and put into their pocket in three months.

Besides, this quick fix pandering solution doesn't make people realize that, to get off our dependency on oil and prevent wars over oil, we not only need competent leaders who will lead us in creating both new businesses and jobs in a "green" economy, but we as Americans need to sacrifice, even such small sacrifice as to drive the speed limits that are posted on our roads and highways. it is Obama who is the wise one and can lead us into a long-term solution with a "green" economy which will truly save us dollars in the long run.

April 30, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |