April 30th, 2008

Mum's the word for Michelle on Rev. Wright

CNN

Listen to the Obama's remarks Wednesday.

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (CNN) –- Democrat Barack Obama's wife Michelle chose silence Wednesday when the couple were asked about recent comments made by their former pastor, and the harsh words Sen. Obama had for him Tuesday.

In a question-and-answer session with voters, the two were asked what kind of toll it takes on them to have to turn their backs on someone who had been good to them in the past.

Sen. Obama responded first, saying he "made a statement yesterday that was hard to make."

"What we want to do now though is to make sure that this doesn’t continue to be a perpetual distraction," he said.

Then he turned to his other half.

"Michelle, do you have anything to add to that?" After a brief hesitation he said, "You do, but..." He stopped and smiled as she shook her head.

The audience laughed.

"Remember, there are a lot of reporters around," he said, joining in the laughter.

Watch Michelle Obama speak out tonight in an interview with CNN's Suzanne Malveaux at 8:20 p.m. ET, with an extended version airing at on AC 360 at 10 p.m. ET

1. Biased CNN

CNN: how many times Obama or Michelle went to the bathroom today?
    Did they change their kids pampers? who did it?

April 30, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  2. Paris

Obama didn’t know his mentor after 20 years and didn’t understand what he stood for.
    He is either lying or not very smart. He demonstrated that he is a very bad judge of character.
    How is he going to deal with the world leaders.
    Either way he can’t be a good president.

April 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  3. Charlotte

Obama may think he has put the Wright issue to bed, but he is the monster in the closet. Michelle needs him by her side to keep her from spouting off something really stupid. Obama said a little too little too late. Rev. Wright said it best, "Obama is a politicion who will say what a politician needs to say to win an election".

April 30, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  4. Dick in Sioux Falls

If I understand Clinton supporters, they believe Obama exercised bad judgment in not leaving his Church because of pastoral comments in sermons.
    If I understand Clinon, she exercised bad judgment in approving the invasion of Iraq.
    Let's see – what was the result in each case?
    Obama's decision resulted in continuing to support the ministries of the Church, which are outstanding.
    Clinton's decision to support going to War has helped cause the deaths of well over 4,000 of our finest young men and women, and according to UNICEF, the deaths of between 650,000 and 900,000 innocent Iraqi civilians; as well as bankrupting this country, destroying the value of the $, and making it impossible to care for the needs of our own nation – its infrastructure and its people.
    Which failure in judgment was the most serious?

April 30, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  5. fran

I can tell you what she wanted to say...but I don't think they allow that kind of language on CNN's blog.

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  6. Bob

Would someone please ask Obama's wife a simple question, – - After the way your pastor, religious advisor and friend Rev. Wright has recently been treated by her husband are you still proud to be an American?

April 30, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  7. Euphemmie

Sometimes I give the American Public too much credit. Reading some of these responses makes me sad for this country. If you don't know by now, Barack is not cut from the same cloth as the other nominees. He is a different kind of politician, you know, the kind we need in the White House. Michelle is upset, as well as her husband. Rev. Wright, in all his wrong is a brilliant man. I don't condone his latest performance; however, the man has 2 master's degrees, Phd, 8 honorary degrees ( not all from black institution) and he speaks 5 languages. He was in the operations room with President Johnson. How many of you writers can even compare to this man's life. The Obama's are mentally, emotionally and physically hurt because they had to do something very painful and necessary, distance themselves from their Pastor. Forget white, black and for a minute the Presidential Election and just imagine how you would feel. I could be naive, but last I check, we are all apart of the human race.

Peace

April 30, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  8. Ca Native

Barack and Michelle – typical Black Liberation Theologist couple. Excuse the racist remarks until it hurts your campaign.

No thank you.

April 30, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  9. Paulet

I do not know about Michelle and Barack, but I am personally sick of hearing about the wrong reverend and I cannot believe that Hillary had the nerve to bring it up again or is that a tease so everyone would watch Fox tonight. The vultures are feeding again - Pleeze stop already. I think Dick Durbin said it best today to Andrea Mitchell, what more do you want???
    I only watched Fox on Sunday with Chris Wallace -
    Orley is tooooooo much pomposity for me, actually a good match for Hillary - unreal! No wonder people do not have any respect anymore.
    Barack and Michelle should spend some time on Jon Stewart or Colbert - I am thinking they would get more respect there. And this is coming from a 64 year old White grandmother!!

April 30, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  10. Sante

Yes, Mike I also belaive that!!!

(Please Post)

I personally believe that the NObama/Wright controversy was staged.

I believe that NObama used this farce as an opportunity to get on a platform and look emotional and apologetic to the American people.

I believe that NObama knew that he was losing momentum and needed to appeal (emotional) to the country.

NObama knew that he NEVER denounced himself from Wright, so he needed to try and do the right thing, to appeal to the Catholics, blue collar workers and white male voters that he was losing.

NObama and Wright are like two peas in a pod, this was staged I say!!!

Go Hillary!!!

Don't buy into NObamas false beliefs, he's a wolf in sheeps clothing!

Did anyone else believe that this could be?

April 30, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Anonymous

GET OUT BOTH BLACK COUPLES..MICHELE AND B.O NOT BELONG IN CAMPAIGN "KKK"

April 30, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  12. Vivienne

To Realist April 30th, 2008 5:26 pm ET

To your comment:
    What a nightmare! Can you imagine it? Obama, Michelle, Wright, Ayers all at the White House?

No, but I can imagine John Hagee and Rod Parsley sitting around the White House. Hagee will sit around making jokes about the Catholic Church and Rod Parsley will be advising John McCain on how he can provoke a war with Islam. How do we know this, well it's certainly not because the media is willing to report it.

I do agree, Barack will not be the nominee and he will not be the next President. I believe that this war will continue and resources will become tighter and before you know it.... Terrorists are going to be the last thing on the minds of the American people.

April 30, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  13. lugina

CRY-CRYBABE!!!

April 30, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  14. Walt, Belton,TX

Good thing too. She's just as radical as Wright, and Obama's speech didn't convince me that he's suddenly a reformed American and not the bigot and racist like his ole buddy Wright.

April 30, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  15. Hildegarde Schildgen

WAKE UP DEMOCRATS Hillary can't win in Nov, why do you think the Republicans are pushing so hard for her to win? they will have it easy in Nov with clinton running against mccain.

You will have 4 more years of bush if either clinton or mccain win in nov.

she'll win in Indiana only if the blue collar workers believe her that she had nothing to do with NAFTA Educated voters know she did.

April 30, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. Freedwoman

These two are a joke, a bad one! They both are hiding something, they were just chirpy and running off at the mouth a few months ago. What happened, Michelle, Barack?

Did the media finally find you out (I guess not CNN, I meant the conservative media)? You are a guilty twosome. What other racist, priveleged and arrogant secrets are you not talking about? The Reverend's 10,300 square foot home (read payoff)? The oil money from lobbyists you took? The fact that you, as parents, exposed your two little children to the speeches of someone who is more like the black "KKK" than you want us to know?

I would be deeply ashamed of what I did to my children, if I were you. I would withdraw from the presidential race if I were Barack Hussein Obama.

The White House has never been the home for un-americans. Your loyalty is suspect, guys.

April 30, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  17. Wil Smith Jackson, MS

Are we going to continue to be fool by these Obama Clowns, they seem to be power hungry and would sell their family and children for power from what I see. Very disappointing and amazing how they can fool so many people.

GOD HELP US!!! NOW

April 30, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  18. Anne E.

I'm an OBAMA supporter and proud of it.
    I AM SICK TO DEATH OF THE JEREMIAH WRIGHT ISSUE. I'M NOT VOTING FOR HIM, I DON'T CARE WHOSE CHILDREN HE BAPTIZED, OR MARRIAGES OVER WHICH HE SOLEMNIZED. HE'S NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT (although HE thinks he's running for something), AND THIS ISSUE HAS NO RELEVANCE TO THE IRAQ WAR, BRINGING HOME THE TROOPS, PRESERVING OUR PLANET, PRESERVING SOCIAL SECURITY, OUR ECONOMY OR STANDING IN THE WORLD.
    The longer this story is given legs, the more of a laughingstock we appear to the rest of the world. Hasn't there been enough of that since the Election Follies of '00????

April 30, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  19. Jennie Ramsey

To "Mark"

You're such a racist. SHAME ON YOU!!!

April 30, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  20. David

To be fair to Michelle Obama, there is nothing that she can really say to this issue. However, why is that the case? It's probably the case because she did believe at least some of those things that Wright preached, so she knows that even if she now denounces it, people won't believe her. And she'll still suffer some backlash for crapping on her black minister. If she stands by him, then it'll be even worse.

Yes, its definitely a bind for her, but its at least in part a bind that her choice to adhere to Jeremiah Wright has put her in, not really the press.

April 30, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  21. Glen,Ind

I like remind the good people of America it took the Abolitionist and the Slave to make this country free for everyone. The super delegates better remember people sacrifice a lot more than a position. Do the right thing and change this Country.

April 30, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  22. Susan / PA

Michelle is too much of a Lady to say exactly how she feels about Rev Wright. My heart goes out to both of you. Being decieved by ones pastor..well..only us Catholics can really relate.

April 30, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  23. Get Real

Anyone pretending that Obama doesn't beleive his pastors words is living a real lie or simply naive. You don't got to a church for 20 years and hear this BS, whitout beleiving it. Come on now...are the posters on here serious?

I liked Obama, but not anymore. He's pastor is nuts beyond beleif and that's that. Hillary's getting my vote.

And really...its unbeleivable that people want Obama to win so much that they would just shrug this off as unimportant. Religion in the US is utlra important and I for one am not going to just give him the benefit of the doubt...sorry, the words of that man were insane and bordering on uneducated, bitter delusions. To pretend Obama somehow avoided this type of talk for 20 years...well...

Look up naive in the dictionary, please!

April 30, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  24. Bayou Joe

Hey Darth Vardik,,,,, Your idol is crumbling under the pressure of Hlllary. And this is not even the main event.

McCain will crush him like the snake that he is....

April 30, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  25. Lana, NATIVE AMERICAN CHEROKEE INDIAN

Well, Susan Malveux has drank the kool-aid anyway so that interview won't matter. Why doesn't she get tough and go on Bill O'rielly?
    Michelle is an angry woman. Very smart but very angry and it comes out in her speeches. As for Rev. Wrights speaking tour, I suspect it was orchestrated to give BO a fake opportunity to DIVORCE Wright publicly, and for free. Poor me, don't blame me I've only known him for 20 years.

April 30, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |