April 30th, 2008

Obama adds a third new superdelegate in 24 hours

The Iowa representative announced his support for Obama Wednesday.
The Iowa representative announced his support for Obama Wednesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Iowa Rep. Bruce Braley will endorse Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for president Wednesday, the fifth Democratic superdelegate to choose sides in less than 24 hours, an Obama aide confirms to CNN.

Braley, a first-term congressman who represents an eastern district that hugs the Illinois border, had originally backed John Edwards in the race for the Democratic nomination. He joins fellow Iowan and Democratic National Committee member Richard Machacek in publicly declaring his support for Obama this week. Machacek and Kentucky Rep. Ben Chandler both said Tuesday they were backing Obama, while North Carolina Gov. Mike Easley and Missouri Rep. Ike Skelton endorsed New York Sen. Hillary Clinton the same day.

Braley’s decision to support Obama was first reported Wednesday morning by the Des Moines bureau of the Associated Press.

1. Carmen

Obama understands what the people need in this country and is willing to stand up and fight for us. I say vote everyone for good a change.

Obama 08

April 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. Alonzo Demetrius

Please, democrats, keep your heads and nominate Sen Clinton. At least with her we know what a no-count we are getting.

April 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. Kim, Charlotte, NC

Tim from Ohio- I wonder if you look as STUPID as you sound.......

April 30, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  4. fred

Obama is a wolf in sheeps clothing!!!

April 30, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  5. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Welcome aboard a winning campaign!

April 30, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. Steve, Madison WI

"i'll take my blankie and go home" if (insert candidate) doesn't win the nomination.

Get over it all you self-centered egotists. Unite as Democrats or live with the guilt forever that you had the chance to save America and your pettiness doomed us to McBush, a conservative Supreme Court and the final downfall of the US as we know it.

You "my candidate, or nothing" folks disgust me. I put you in the same category as most Repubs – "me,me, me, me – the world revolves around me". Shame on you all!!!

April 30, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  7. Alice

Tommy – your NEWS ALERT is HILARIOUS! Thanks!

April 30, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  8. right source

If the democratic presidential nominee is not selected in the proper manner, the democratic party will still suffer. If the superdelegates should choose and not the proper vote, I know several groups of people who will vote republic.
    I will vote for Obama in the May 6 primaries, but if Clinton wins the democratic nominee in the right manner I will vote for her in November. If not, who knows.
    North Carolina loves Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  9. Clinton News Network (national)

thank you thank you Bruce history will show that you made the best choice for our country, its future and our children.

thank you cnn for being equaly fair wth the titles and not adding to the drama and biases that is going on everywhere..

April 30, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  10. Jamaal

Go Barack Obama keep going Barack we are with you Beat the witch Hillary Clinton Beat Beat Beat her

April 30, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  11. Peter

Baron Hill (Indiana) will Endorse Obama later today!

April 30, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  12. Biased CNN...

CNN...I watch your news all the time but why are you deleting me for saying nothing but the truth?? I would just have to delete yoru channel from my TV...if you keep wasting my time by deleting my posts!

April 30, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  13. gene

Well, I see my last comments went to some damp and dark place to await the verdict by some unknown source, There are three main CNN Obama cheer leaders, Jack, Gloria and Jeff and Martin when they need him and they must be on that jury.

April 30, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  14. AC

Way to Go Barack! We believe in you and we love you!

YES WE CAN!!!

April 30, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  15. Tom

Every time I see a superdelegate decide to back Obama based on character, experience, ability to unite, spirituality, view of the future, lack of negativity, decision making or ability to change things, I think of a good friend committing suicide based on hypocrisy. These folks are attempting to drive the democratic party to political suicide in November based on the outright hypocrisy of the Obama campaign.

April 30, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  16. Torry

CNN You failed to mention Clinton picked up a super delegate this morning from AFL-CIO President .I wonder if Rev Wright is a superdelegate and if he is still going to endorse Obama .Maybe they can go down in the basement of the same Chicago Church and pray like they did last year before he announced his candidacy.It amazes me how Obama thru this guy under the bus in a hurry .

April 30, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  17. bub

The text shows the new declarations for candidates by super delegates breaking evenly, but you headline it as delegates breaking for Obama. CNN isn't spinning for Obama as clearly as MSCBC, but you really should offer him a pillow and be sure he's comfortable – again.

April 30, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  18. Peg

Texas vet, I can't believe you would say "hope is hype." What is wrong with you? Hope is what we all need and want in order to succeed and live in this country. Hope is a unifier. Hope is a positive dream. Hope helps us out of deep depression. Hope is our salvation. How dare you say such a thing. I feel sorry for you.

Vote, Hope, Vote Obama!

April 30, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  19. Deborah

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!

YES WE CAN AND YES WE WILL

ELECT OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT 2008!!!!!!!!!!!

April 30, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  20. IN voter

The Obama Train keeps picking up speed!!

Thank You Rep. Braley.

April 30, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  21. MICHELLE Jenkins

REV WRIGHT WHO????
    FORGOTEN ALREADY
    GO OBAMA

April 30, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  22. WeLuvObama

I am glad to see this. The media has focused negatively on Senator Obama for the last two months and yet he still manages to maintain a calm persona. Maybe Sean Hannity and O'reilly can put Pastor Wright to bed now. Keep your head up Senator Obama – help is defintely on the way. The devil may have meant if for bad, but God is working it out for your good.

April 30, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  23. Kay

Thank you, lets keep em coming...

OBAMA 2008

April 30, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  24. Glenn

Obama only needs 297 delegates! Tick Tock Tick Tock! Hillary is running out of time, money and delegates. So sad!

April 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  25. Peg

Jay,

You want to see "damaged goods" just nominate Hillary (and Bill) as your candidate. Republicans can't wait to run against them, they have accumulated all sorts of negative date since the Clintons have left the White House. They all salivate when they think of using it.

Damaged goods, you ain't seen "damaged" goods until you see all the negatives the Clintons bring to the table. They're in the past, move forward.

April 30, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |