May 1st, 2008

Clinton: I feel like the Goldilocks of this campaign

Clinton campaigned in Indiana Tuesday.
Clinton campaigned in Indiana Tuesday.

BROWNSBURG, Indiana (CNN) - As Hillary Clinton and John McCain’s separate proposals for a summertime elimination of the gas tax continue to be a focus for all three candidates, Clinton said Thursday insisted her plan isn’t a cure-all, but a temporary break for those feeling the pinch of high gas prices.

“Invariably someone will say something along the lines of, "Well, you know, we shouldn’t be doing these short-term fixes, we shouldn’t try to relieve people’s pain at the pump. We should only have long-term plans.’” Clinton told a small gathering outside Indianapolis. “We need both! It is not either/or.”

“Sen. Obama says we shouldn’t do it and it’s a gimmick, and Sen. McCain says we should do it but we shouldn’t pay for it.” She added. “I sometimes feel like the Goldilocks of this campaign. You know, not too much, not too little. Just right.”

“This isn't a real solution. This is a gimmick,” Obama countered. “This is what Washington does whenever there's a big problem. They pretend that they're solving it to try to get though political season but they don't really solve it.

Meanwhile, Clinton strategist Geoff Garin said their polling has shown "working people appreciate the fact that Senator Clinton understands the incredible economic strain they are facing."

1. canuck

Didn't Goldilocks B&E the three Bear's home, smash furniture, eat all their food and and mess up their beds and get chased out?

May 1, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  2. fr: Canada

Goldiocks you will not be Hillary, She wears dress'es . Get it Hillary?????

May 1, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  3. rusty

I don't watch you guys anymore, I can't, your bias is so obvious. Hillary has had a free run these past few months. Why?? I think it's because the people that sign your paychecks, and all the other MSM companies, are scared to death of Barack Obama. He doesn't want your money, doesn't want you, and those like you, to have that kind of influence on him, so you have been trying to destroy him. It has been a disgusting display of TV journalism (so called) these past few months. But, guess what, Obama is still going to win this thing, and this country is finally going to start addressing the real problems. Biased American MSM has been the single most scary thing I've witnessed in a long time. You are trying to steer the story, and it reeks!

May 1, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  4. Eugene-MN

You can count on Hillary. You can count Obama, "OUT."
    HIllary 08 all the way baby!!!!!!

May 1, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  5. isis dagmar

CNN–Geoff Garin works for Clinton, as I'm sure many others have already posted.

May 1, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. Ilona Proud Canadian

CNN, can you not see how disgusted and disillusioned people are becoming about Hillary Clinton? Is there nothing that you can do about this? This election process is really creating phenomenal stress for the voters. Why don't you (or can't you) tell the American People about Paul vs Clinton? At least if they knew that there was a gag order, or something valid, that prevents you from exposing this huge Clinton problem, people would understand, otherwise this just looks like some kind of huge media collusion?.

May 1, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  7. Jack Robertson

Well at least Hillary knows a lot about fairy tales. She has told more than her fair share of them during the campaign.

May 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  8. Peggy Shelton

I watch no other channel for news than CNN because I felt they gave the most unbiased reports (The Whole Picture)
    My Favorite being Wolf
    So as a Loyal Fan, Wolf, I would like to ask, WHY is it when you presented the comparrison of the candidates suggestions on what they would do about the current Gas prices. You gave Obama's complete answer and McCains complete answer but you shaved off the second part of Hillarys proposal?????? She agreed with the Tax suspension as an immediate relief but she also had a follow up plan to replace the money it would deplete from the Roads fund and you completely ignored that?
    Also why is the Candidates answer called Pandering because they are not yet in control when they are only offering these proposals in ANSWER to the Questions being put to them?
    I thought CNN was fair to all and more importantly on the PEOPLE'S side

May 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  9. Alex

If she truly cared about the American people like she so desperately claims she would have conceded a long time ago. She’s a selfish, ego centric, power hungry monster. Obama IS what’s best for this country...she knows it. She just doesn’t care. In her mind her ego, and her bank accounts are more important than the welfare of this country. Reminds me a lot of Cheney and Bush.

May 1, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Rick in Oregon

A few things.

1. This short term solution would help truck drivers a HELL OF A LOT more than $25.00 people. That is who this is for. That could help lower food costs. Think in bigger pictures here.

2. Hillary is the only one that is thinking in short term AND long term. This is the kind of thinking that deals with a crisis and works to make sure it doesn't happen again.

3. Obama has voted for a gas tax holiday before, so he is being hypocritical when he dogs someone else for liking the plan.

Oh, and one more thing...you silly people that don't do your research need to realize that Hillary's pastor didn't go to Jail, it was a pastor from a Church named Clinton. Sheesh.

May 1, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  11. STOP THE MADDNESS!!!!

Meanwhile, Obama strategist Geoff Garin said their polling has shown "working people appreciate the fact that Senator Clinton understands the incredible economic strain they are facing."

AMAZING!
    People recognize Senator Clinton understands the incredible economic strain they are facing!! This Chick ALL FOR SHOW went to the gas station and didn't even know how to pump gas! This Chick ALL FOR SHOW attempted to pour coffee, but needed help!! She didn't know how to do the simplest things that THE PEOPLE have to do on a day to day basis. This CHICK DOES NOT HAVE A CLUE WHO THE PEOPLE ARE LET ALONE WHAT THE PEOPLE NEED!! NEITHER Hillary NOR McCain has shared in the same WORLD AS THE PEOPLE!!! BOTH only offer BS!! EVERY financial analyst has stated that this offer is no more than BULL@@##!!

THEY WILL SAVE THE PEOPLE A GRAND $9 BUCKS PER MONTH ONLY TO INCREASE THE PRICES AFTER THIS SAVINGS!
    AMAZING!!

Obama is the only one that is brave and truthful enough to tell THE PEOPLE THE TRUTH,BUT THE PEOPLE ONLY WANT BUL@@##!!

May 1, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  12. Nunya

The real hidden message: Once she is President, all we'll have to eat is porridge...

May 1, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  13. Jo

Hey! Leave Hillary alone! She is the candidate that has the experience and strength needed to run this country. Sure she feels like she is constantly being critized, no matter what she says. I wonder how many people that blog on this site are actually paid by Obama. It seems like the majority must be on his campaign staff; otherwise, they would shut up criticizing Hillary and pay attention to the shallowness and deceit of Obama.

May 1, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  14. Fed up Democrat

Goldilocks?Hmmm. There have been so many scathing stories this past few weeks about Hillary that get a brief mention, and then disappear. We have to remember that the reason is is that many Americans can't bare to handle the change that is about to come. The MSM will realise that they are irresponsible at best and the public will as well. Ratings are dropping as we speak as I' can't even watch MSNBC any longer. Washington and the true elitist don't want change and too much of the American people don't know how to deal with change- change in politics, change in government, change in economics, education- I could go on. I choose to try to believe it is more about fear than stupidity. I can believe in that and the good sense of the American people when I see SD's making sensible decisions and when those of who true believers and plan to be involved in the Obama dream and plan for America write sensible and honest comments on the various blogs. It is actually sad for those who are so blinded by the hype and memories of the past and the present Clintons and Repubs. The only candiodate who will ever do anything for the Clinton and McCain base is Barack Obama, but these people are too frightened (if not delusional like their candidates) to realise that. I do hope that the media runs with the situation with Iran and all issues international where Hillary and McCain will be the literal death of this country. For our future and the future of our children, please please wake up. Obviously Goldilocks has confused herself with Pinocchio.

May 1, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  15. Peggy Shelton

Hillary Has it All!
    The Plan , The Experience, The Smarts and The Tenacity to deal with the Mob that's in Power.
    Hillary 08

May 1, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  16. kiki

I can use the 30 or 40 bucks that I would save with Hillary's plan. Of course "elitists" never had to really stretch to make ends meet.

May 1, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  17. GG/NYC

Its really funny how scared you Obamabots are. I am not even going to toll the virtues of my alraedy immensly qualified candidate. I'm just going to sit back and let America (and the Superdelegates) make the wise decision, and laugh laugh laugh at all of you 'bitter' latte drinking Obamabats who can't believe their polished little speaker could come so completely undone....but, yet, as the polls show TODAY, he has. Virtual tie between the two according to today's natinoal poll.

May 1, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  18. Maxine

Hillary Rodham Clinton admended her disclosure reports over the weekend to account for $5 million she loaned her presidential campaign in January. Though it was widely known the New York senator used the funds to help rally support for her White House bid during the early primaries, an accounting oversight left the information missing from reports filed at the Federal Election Commission.

The new disclosure brings her total debt to $15.3 million through March, compared to $662,784 for her Democratic opponent Illinois Sen. Barack Obama. While both have debt, they both also have a considerable amount of cash on hand, Obama with $51 million to Clinton's nearly $32 million.

Now I ask you is she someone who understands how to run a budget....And I am sorry it will work for a short term fix during the busiest time of the year? summer with more cars traveling? it will still benefit the oil producers not us.....yeah I want it to get fixed, but we drop the 18% for three months and then what????????

May 1, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  19. M. Felder

Political Postering, I think that $600 stimulus check will go much further than that hair brain scheme to give us a $30 gas relief. I'll take a $30 rebate or gift card, please.

May 1, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  20. Ajaa

The Clinton's want another Dynasty. The Bush's had their Dynasties. Stop all the petty polls and gossip over things that have absolutely no relevance to the direction of the USA. Peace and prosperity and how to achieve them as quickly as possible should be top priority.

After reading every candidate's issues from their own sites and how they plan on handling them, Obama far outweighs the other two.

Everyone knows, or should know, that their pastors at one time or another have said things they didn't agree with. What my pastor said had no bearing on what I believed to be right.

Making an intelligent choice in this election can turn the fate of America. I do believe Senator Obama can turn everything in a positive direction because of his innate ability to bring both sides together. I do believe that Senator Clinton will cause a stale mate in the recovery of this nation because of her attitude toward republicans. I do believe that Senator McCain is far too elderly to hold office and will continue in Iraq.

May 1, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  21. KJ, CA

I am going to be ill now... Give me a break here!

May 1, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  22. Monroe

CNN, PLEASE CORRECT YOUR ARTICLE. GARIN WORKS FOR CLINTON, NOT OBAMA.

May 1, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  23. North of the border

CNN, GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. GEOFF GARIN WORKS FOR HILLARY CLINTON, NOT FOR OBAMA.

May 1, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  24. radster

Ummm, OBAMA STRAGEGIST GARRIN?

CNN reporting is as bad as it gets.

If you can't keep Obama and Clinton straight, you should stop writing.

May 1, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  25. Randy - Denver

I admit it I am a Bitter Obama supporter. you see I went to school I learned economics, I was an enlisted in the military for over 20 years where I learned a bit about leadership and patriotism, I raised three children and sent them to college mostly while making under $40K in my best, last year in the military. Since I was not often on a base my children were covered under Champus and Tricare, meaning partly out of my own pocket so I understand a little about not having money. I have moved on the average every three years from NY to SC to ID to Fl to CA and WA so you might say I know a bit about the people of America. So why am I bitter you ask.. the reason is simple I am bitter because the best hope we have had, in my adult lifetime, to lead America back towards what is should be, is being railroaded by someone who doesn't care about the real people who cannot see the damage they are doing, who has lied and cheated America and done her best to destroy this one good man and people claim this man who rose from a single parent household drawing foodstamps to potentially being the holder of the highest office of the land is somehow an elitist.. yes I am bitter, after the last 7 years of watching the country I fought for, I served being destroyed from within I have to sit here and watch you people, most of which have never done a THING for this country, try to further destroyu it on the whim of a liar who has disrespected my service too many times for it to be acceptable.. yes I am bitter I have, by some of your wishes it appears, wasted my life serving you only to see you destroy what I risked my life for to maintain.. bitter yes, Obama support HELL YES! I would rather vote for McCain than this "person" anytime and I dislike his policies... so there you have it folks her campaign has destroyed ANY chance of me ever supporting her or if, by another election like the last tow she gets voted in, the government she will head...

May 1, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |