May 1st, 2008

Clinton: I feel like the Goldilocks of this campaign

Clinton campaigned in Indiana Tuesday.
Clinton campaigned in Indiana Tuesday.

BROWNSBURG, Indiana (CNN) - As Hillary Clinton and John McCain’s separate proposals for a summertime elimination of the gas tax continue to be a focus for all three candidates, Clinton said Thursday insisted her plan isn’t a cure-all, but a temporary break for those feeling the pinch of high gas prices.

“Invariably someone will say something along the lines of, "Well, you know, we shouldn’t be doing these short-term fixes, we shouldn’t try to relieve people’s pain at the pump. We should only have long-term plans.’” Clinton told a small gathering outside Indianapolis. “We need both! It is not either/or.”

“Sen. Obama says we shouldn’t do it and it’s a gimmick, and Sen. McCain says we should do it but we shouldn’t pay for it.” She added. “I sometimes feel like the Goldilocks of this campaign. You know, not too much, not too little. Just right.”

“This isn't a real solution. This is a gimmick,” Obama countered. “This is what Washington does whenever there's a big problem. They pretend that they're solving it to try to get though political season but they don't really solve it.

Meanwhile, Clinton strategist Geoff Garin said their polling has shown "working people appreciate the fact that Senator Clinton understands the incredible economic strain they are facing."

1. Mike

Everyone says the gas tax gimmick is econ 101, the problem with Clinton supporters is they never made it that far. They are still learning their colors.

May 1, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  2. Jay

Hillary Clinton, as usual, is trying to pander to voters about gas prices. If she has so much "experience", why didn't she put it to use when her husband was crafting an energy policy. Oh, I forgot, he didn't create any type of lasting energy policy, and as a result we are still dependent on foreign oil. We have to invest in our infrastructure, and Hillary's gimmicks really are insulting to voters...gas prices will likely INCREASE if this patchwork gas "relief" plan goes into effect. She even had the nerve to go to a gas pump and act like she's some average person. This from someone who has been driven around for years and made $109 million over the past 7 years. It this wasn't any more laughable, I don't know what is.

May 1, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  3. DC

CLINTON strategist Geoff Garin.

Need a copyeditor or what?

May 1, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  4. shane

TO JOE: Obama voted for a gast tax cut 3 times. Indeed. But through his experiences he knows it doesnt work. Thats what experience is to supposed to do. Nce spin but report the whole story.

May 1, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  5. brenda ,minnesota

30$ probably won't buy enough gas to get across our republican maintained bridges before they collapse. word out of D.C. is this will be over next week, the supers are going to pile on, for Barack, after tuesday. Because goldilocks has decided to stir up the white blue collar group enough that they would rather vote their hatred and not their pocket books.

May 1, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  6. chris

Hillary is Jesus, Hillary is Rocky, Hillary is Goldilocks

Hillary is one with the Spanish in TX, Hillary shot guns when she was young, Hillary's has blue-collar upbringing

Hillary is everything, give me a break, she says exactly what you want to hear when you want to hear it as all Clintons do just to win... but she's more talk than anyone. Looking into her actual record of "experience," it's obvious she hasn't done anything.

I choose character/judgement over poor "experience"

May 1, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  7. Over Here in Chicago

huh?!
    Then who are the three bears?
    first Rocky now Goldilocks?
    good grief

May 1, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  8. Shannon

There goes Hillary.... Once again changing her tactics and plans when Obama shows a better idea. Plus Hillary's plan is a duplicate of McCain's Plan.

McCain says drop the 18 cent tax for a few weeks on gas, and it gets great media attention for him. So, Hillary copys McCain's plan to get her own attention. Naturally she had to make McCains idea look bad, and her's look better. So she added on the idea of taxing oil companies more to make up for the 18 cents the government would not receive from us at the gas pump. Boom, her own (copied) idea and her own media attention.

Obama being the smart man that he is, called their bluff! He pointed out that McCain and Hillary were just playing politics to get media attention. Plus McCain and Hillary's temporary tax cut would only save the average American $25-$30 over the summer, and that's nothing!!!! We would think we were saving alot of money on gas, but really we'd end up just driving more and that would cause gas prices to raise even higher than they are now.

Obama's plan is a real solution!!!! Tax the Oil Companies more on their profit, and then give that money to low income familys to help pay their energy bills. Plus it shows the oil companies that they can't keep raising gas prices for their benefit, while hurting Americans. It shows the Oil Companies that they are responsible for our inflation and recession!

I don't know about you. But, I'd rather have a president like Obama with real solutions!!! Not McCain or Hillary who just play games for attention!!!

May 1, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  9. FLORIDA FOR OBAMA

Yeah...intrusive and annoying little goldilocks!

As a little girl I was afraid the bears would eat goldilocks, now with this comparisson Hillary just did, I am hoping that happens to her!
    Hillary NEEDS TO STOP USING FLORIDA as a campaign tool for her!!

THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE IN FLORIDA WHO DID NOT GO OUT AND VOTE BECAUSE WE KNEW OUR VOTES WOULD NOT BE COUNTED...WHAT ABOUT US?? MY WHOLE FAMILY IS FOR OBAMA!! MY FRIENDS ARE FOR OBAMA!! What about us??

FLORIDA FOR OBAMA 2008!!!

May 1, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  10. voice of reason, NC

Geof Garin is not an Obama strategist CNN. He is right though.

May 1, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. LT for Obama

What is her long term solution.

People keep saying that Barack does not have a solution yet economists say that his SOLUTION is better than the short term suggested by Hillary and John. So if he does not have a solution, how can they make this determination?

I think that Hillary supporters are the ones who are drinking Kool-Aid. They follow her even though she admitted to openly lying about Bosnia and other things she "misspoke" about, she has been named in a campaign finance fraud case, her former pastor is a convicted child molester, etc.

May 1, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  12. nannie bouroughs, Kenosha, WI

That's AMERICA'S GIRL!

GO HILLARY – WE LOVE U!

May 1, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  13. E1944

Missy I know Goldilocks very well and you ain't no Goldilocks.

May 1, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  14. Mary

I hope people in Indiana and North Carolina are seeing through the pandering that Hillary is dishing out. She continues to try and tell people what they want to hear, and hit them where they are vulnerable. She will do or say whatever she needs to in order to knock someone down and prop herself up. I voted for Bill Clinton twice and the disingenuity of Hillary Clinton has been incredible to watch. Obama gets my vote and the vote of my Republican husband.
    Middle-aged woman from Missouri

May 1, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  15. DW

They may appreciate a short term "fix", but they are forgetting what this country really needs..........
    A President that doesn't lie under fire!

Go Obama!

May 1, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. Chuck from Pa

This lady is absolutely in love with herself and her lies. She is a fighter, she is Rocky, she is from Scranton, she is from Texas, she is goldilocks, she is Pinocchio, she is against NAFTA...etc
    Who is she really???? I say Medussa...those eyes and that cackling laugh give her away.

May 1, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  17. Hillary 4 President!

Dal:

Obviously your wallet is well padded with money. You must not be financially strained. $40-$30 is a week is a blessing to many of us. She's not saying it's a "solution" is a "relief" and why not? Let it me a relief until a better long term solution can be considered. Something has to be done. And sometimes an unpopular decision has to be made.
    BHO probably doesn't like it b/c he didn't think of it first! He's not too smart when it comes to economics.

May 1, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. toot

Hillary Yes we can!!
    Hillary for President

May 1, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  19. BJ

If Obama supporters even had half a mind, they would realize that Hillary has actual solutions, and the know-how to carry them through. Obama, for the first time, differs from Hillary but still has no specific plan to offer short term benefits/breaks that people need to have some breathing room! The rest of his "policies" have been xeroxed from Hillary's.

For all their education, they have no street savvy to really understand what regular folks are going through.

Let's see how they fare when truckers stop driving, dock workers stop working, and immigrants stop working. I want to see how self sufficient they are then!

Oh, where's my latte? How come my clothes are dirty? Boo hoo waaahhh.

Only Clinton understands and knows what to do!

May 1, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. Hmm..........

I am not really interested in temporary fixes!!!! Especially ones that likely won't even work in the first place. Things are already bad...........a quick fix can make them worse both in the short and long runs. I should run for president.........I am way smarter than this idea she and McCain proposed.

May 1, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  21. Papa Bear

I'm so glad someone is looking out for us working folk. Even though the tax will only save me about $3 every week I fill up my $60 tank, I know in my heart it's the right solution. I mean, I'll be able to use that $12 a month for so many things. I know that you know it's only a short term solution. But, even though that money would normally go towards repairing roads and bridges, like the one that collapsed last year in minneapolis, I know that those projects, and the constructions workers that do the work, can be put on hold for the summer. Besides, they deserve a vacation right? I mean, it gets so hot working on highways and bridges, they shouldn't have to do that kind of work in the summer heat.
    My only question is: since there aren't any price protections in place, how will you prevent the oil companies from raising the price of gas again?

May 1, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  22. Google(Paulvs.Clinton)

The case should be known to ALL. Bills friend (judge Munoz), let Hillary off the hook until after the Nov. election! Read all about it...
    Google: Paul vs. Clinton

May 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  23. JEFF

Why cant Clinton tell Americans I just want your votes instead of trying to get it by giving us candy. I Know Americans are smart enough to see through this than the Clintons give them credit.Even fools cannot be fooled if the idea is too foolish , I wonder who is a fool.

May 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  24. Tim

Paul Vs Clinton!!!

May 1, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  25. Victory for Hillary

Why do Obama-bots constantly post their "Rev-Wright"-like hate speech anytime Hillary gets attention?

May 1, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |