May 1st, 2008

Clinton: I feel like the Goldilocks of this campaign

Clinton campaigned in Indiana Tuesday.
Clinton campaigned in Indiana Tuesday.

BROWNSBURG, Indiana (CNN) - As Hillary Clinton and John McCain’s separate proposals for a summertime elimination of the gas tax continue to be a focus for all three candidates, Clinton said Thursday insisted her plan isn’t a cure-all, but a temporary break for those feeling the pinch of high gas prices.

“Invariably someone will say something along the lines of, "Well, you know, we shouldn’t be doing these short-term fixes, we shouldn’t try to relieve people’s pain at the pump. We should only have long-term plans.’” Clinton told a small gathering outside Indianapolis. “We need both! It is not either/or.”

“Sen. Obama says we shouldn’t do it and it’s a gimmick, and Sen. McCain says we should do it but we shouldn’t pay for it.” She added. “I sometimes feel like the Goldilocks of this campaign. You know, not too much, not too little. Just right.”

“This isn't a real solution. This is a gimmick,” Obama countered. “This is what Washington does whenever there's a big problem. They pretend that they're solving it to try to get though political season but they don't really solve it.

Meanwhile, Clinton strategist Geoff Garin said their polling has shown "working people appreciate the fact that Senator Clinton understands the incredible economic strain they are facing."

1. K. Patterson, Los Angeles, CA

More like Cruella Deville....

May 1, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  2. Sylvia

Bad judgement and misjudgement again by Hillary Rodham Clinton on the gas tax. Just like when she voted for the war. This tells me she is not intelligent and incapable of making smart decision.

OBAMA is smart and intelligent. He is our next President.

May 1, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  3. Bridgette

The reality of it she and John McCain have come up with a really stupid idea that sounds good. The bottom line is that a driver will save an average of $9 for the summer. That is not a solution that is an insult. I know everyone is all excited about this campaign and what is going on but people I think it is time we really start listening to the candidates with our ears. Not that oh it's the first female or the first african-american. It is time we stop listening to the so call 35 years of experience and the change slogan. Let's really listen to them. Because alot of the stuff that Hilary says is just not reality. I am an independent so I am still deciding and I am listening and this lady is a liar. She will say anything and do anything to get this election. So all I am saying people is just listen.

May 1, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  4. Hillary doesn't read fairy tales or bake cookies

Goldilocks got eaten by the wolf.

May 1, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  5. The big OO

Somebody, please slap that woman! Her big, ugly head is bothering me! Stick a pin in there and let some of the air out!

May 1, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  6. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

To TerrenceW from NC
    That is not all they are holding back on the Clintons. Google Clinton's
    and the Clinton's activities during the years are horrendous acts of
    criminalities. Unbelievable what they aren't throwing at her and Bill.
    We got two of the world biggest scam artists running for Office and the news don't even tap into their past. What else is "new" in politics.
    TIME FOR A BIG A– CHANGE.

May 1, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  7. Brendose, Oceanside, CA

TO CNN:

This is officially the LAST time I will ever read or comment on the political ticker. The media has done a grave injustice to a good candidate by dragging him through the mud. I know you feel that you get higher "ratings" this way, but I've had enough. I have a bad taste in my mouth, and it is from all of the BS you have fed us. Maybe you're on Clinton's payroll.......I don't know. America is leading down a dark path, with the media outlets leading the way........

May 1, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  8. Ms Brown

CNN: HOW DO YOU ALL SLEEP AT NIGHT? IT'S AMAZING HOW YOU DIDN'T POST MY COMMENTS ABOUT HILLARY AND BILL HAVING PRAYER WITH WRIGHT??

KARMA..I KNOW YOU KNOW THE MEANING.

May 1, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  9. Mike

Yes remember, I am the Blue Eyed, Blond Haired Goldilocks. Not the black guy. Obama is the black guy that has the muslim name and might have sold cocaine (not that i am saying that). And Obama has the controversial Pastor that my media cronies keep talking and talking and talking about. And I am the one that looks like Rocky. Obama looks like the guy that beat up poor white Rocky. And I am the one that will give everyone money for gas. And if there is anything else that you think I should be. Then I am that too.

May 1, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  10. Mike

Obama is appearing on late night shows now before he ignored their requests. He needs all the friends he can find now.

May 1, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  11. Ben

Hillary could be up against a felony charge this fall.
    If you get your news from CNN, you don't know this. You probably know Rev Wright's mother's maiden name and favorite food though.

May 1, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  12. Sharon Minnesota

Just watching Wolf's Situation Room. Why is it that on this show the Obama guy gets to call Hillary's plan for relief of gas price a "fairy tale" when Bill Clinton was called a racist when he said those two "controversial words"?

Hillary Clinton is the only candidate who has addressed both short and long term solutions to the gas price crises.

What's up with Barack Obama and his negative and snarky remarks on this subject?

May 1, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  13. Greg

She is insane, end of story.

May 1, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. Roxy

Did you see Hillary on The Factor with O'reilly? What a bright woman she is!!!! Just what we need in the White House.

Go Hillary.

President Hillary Rodham Clinton 08

May 1, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  15. kathleen retired Professional w/woman for obama

Do you think Hillary has ever pumped her own gas? Or paid for it out of pocket?

May 1, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. Michael

I am getting very sick of this woman.

May 1, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. Tonya South Carolina

Hillary supporters why are you supporting her holiday gas tax people please think about this they will be using money that we don't have if you are educated you will know nothing plus nothing leaves nothing they will be taking money from the state and we need that money to reconstruct our roads and bridges all I can say is go ahead and rally her up for the holiday tax I can see you know riding down the road on a full tank of gas and before you know it you will fall straight in a pot hole and those tax rebate checks is another loan if you open the white House safe it will have 13 trillion I. O. U notes Hillary Supporters Wake Up And Smell The Sniper Fire.

May 1, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Another war

SHe's started another war, this time with Iran. They actually filed a UN complaint against her for her obliteration comment. Good judgement Hillary!!!! Tell us again why you should be our president.
    Peter Paul vs. Clinton, look it up people

May 1, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  19. Jenny, TX

Thank you, senator Hillary Clinton, for your understand of the pain we have.

Hillary '08

May 1, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. Kim

Fantasy metaphors huh. Hillary should be compared to the wicked witch of the east. Grab your broom and fly away witch Hillary. Before someone drops a house on you.

May 1, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. jon

CNN, ya got a typo in the last sentence:

Meanwhile, Obama strategist Geoff Garin said their polling has shown "working people appreciate the fact that Senator Clinton understands the incredible economic strain they are facing."

It should read "... Clinton strategist Geoff Garin..."

May 1, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. Steve herrick

She ought to be charged with breaking and entering and distruction of property

May 1, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  23. I'm a fighter

"Speaking to reporters at City Hall, Bloomberg said of the gas tax holiday,'"It's about the dumbest thing I've heard in an awful long time, from an economic point of view. We're trying to discourage people from driving and we're trying to end our energy dependence ... and we're trying to have more money to build infrastructure.'"

Michael Bloomberg from Hillary's state of New York.

May 1, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  24. Jack in ND

I love it when she speaks the language of stupid.

May 1, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. READY999

cnn-how about PAUL VS CLINTON-REPORT THE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 1, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |