May 1st, 2008

Clinton to Congress: You’re either with us or against us

JEFFERSONVILLE, Indiana (CNN) – After several days of back and forth between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama over whether a summer-long elimination of the gas tax would help or hurt, Clinton took a hard line, asking her colleagues in Congress to take sides.

“I believe it would be important to get every member of Congress on record,” Clinton told supporters at a rally in southern Indiana. “Do they stand with the hard-pressed Americans who are trying to pay their gas bills at the gas station or do they once again stand with the oil companies?

“I want to know where people stand and I want them to tell us, are they with us or against us when it comes to taking on the oil companies?” she added.

The “with us or against us” line wasn’t the only George W. Bush reference Thursday evening. Telling a story about Republicans crossing party lines and whispering their support to her, Clinton said, “It’s kind of like a little bit of a confessional when somebody comes and says, ‘You know I voted for George Bush, and I’m really sorry.’”

Obama used to tell a similar story that drew laughs about people whispering to him that they’re Republicans but are in his camp. Also whispering, he would respond, “Thank you, but why are we whispering?”

Commending Clinton in Jeffersonville for her ability to reach across the aisle to Republicans, renowned environmentalist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. introduced Clinton who holds what used to be his father’s New York seat in the Senate.

“This is a leader who is going to be one of the most extraordinary presidents in our history,” Kennedy told the crowd after mentioning that this election has split his politically famous family.

“You may know that there’s some members of my family who’ve decided to do the wrong thing and support Barack Obama,” said Kennedy. “Our family is divided, and our party is divided and the reason we’re divided is because we have two extraordinary candidates both running for president both who will make unbelievable presidents.”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Venus

I know Airborne! I will be so glad to see her dragged off!

Go Obama!

May 1, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  2. Robert IL

With all the skeletons the Clinton's have in the closet, why is the media so quick to jump on ANYTHING someone says against Obama? However, now I know why Obama/Clinton will never be a ticket...she has WAY, and I mean WAY more things you don't want to know about vs. Obama. She is already playing games with the primaries by using her doner's money to go more into debt while she makes 109 Million dollars and tells people she understands their pain. She would be soley responsible for taking away the Dems' chance to take the white house back before the election even begins.

Isn't it funny that republican radio is telling their own party members to switch for the primaries and vote Clinton? Isn't it funny that the GOP is only attacking Obama right now? This isn't a joke...it's strategy...against the Dems and against hard working people to make it look like Obama is unelectable. If Clinton is anywhere near the ticket, kiss the white house goodbye.

May 1, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  3. anybuthillary

I am a 50+ white woman from Ohio who used to be a Hillary Clinton supporter until I finally woke up and began to see her for who she truly is. She will stop at absolutely nothing to get what she wants, and doesn't give a hoot about the American people...it's all about her. I will give her this....she is a masterful liar, but once you finally see through her smokescreen, it's very difficult to not really, really hate her (such a strong word, I know, but a word I reserve for truly evil people like her). If her appearance on Fox's Bill O'Reilly show doesn't tell you something (that she's desperate to win at all costs), people will be in for a rude awakening when they learn that it was all smoke and mirrors. If she wins, I will completely give up on the Democratic party and vote for John McCain, which is only 1 step above voting for Hillary Clinton!

May 1, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  4. Hillary is a shameless panderer

Clinton is Bush

May 1, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  5. Tara

Ok. But look. The funny thing is that the Obama supporters are acting like Obama is God. Whatever Obama says or does, they will say it smells good. But just by looking at who some of his supporters are, you will see who he is representing: Jeremiah Wright, Louis Farakhan, Michael Moore, Bill Ayers... All these kinds of people just want to see the America collapsed.
    Hope and Change ? Give me a break.
    And good judgment ? Haha, anyone sitting in that church hearing Wright preaching those things does have that kind of "good" judgment.
    Do you really think that Wright thought that the Iraq war was a good idea?
    Although I also oppposed the Iraq war from the beginning, my story and his story have different settings.

May 1, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  6. Cali

I don't this idea but I think might be better than Bush so we have to stand
    for her.

May 1, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  7. maryland

I can not believe that people are actually listening to Sen. Hillary Clinton make up stories and going after OBAMA all the time.
    Iam sick of her.

May 1, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  8. Cali

I don't like this idea but I think might be better than Bush so we have to stand for her.

May 1, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  9. austbill

Hillary, that is my nominee. She is the one who will bring real changes and provide excellent leadership to the USA and the American people.

Hillary is a winner and most qualified to lead this country on day one.

Vote Hillary!!!

May 1, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  10. Illiniguy

Should we call HRC and McCain Pander Bears?

May 1, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  11. sally

Anon, lets not start a revolution but say that we did.
    Fact is that your candidate has too many issues that will effect the people of this country should it be made known and he gets elected as president anyway. bill and hillarys CIVIL (not criminal) case is just another case among many that will have no impact on the people of this country and whther they are able to survive day to day. you will have to pick your arguments better next time around. now we are learning about who obama really is by way of the man (wright) that he says he can not disown. what we havent heard about yet, but we know we will, is the realtionship he has with ayers. then we will hear about rezco then we will hear about the million man march and farrakan, then we will hear more about his muslim/terrorist ties. see where im going with this? there is way too much out there that is certainly going to sink your candidate and all you have on hillary is a sniper fire lie and a civil case. show me where her faults rise to the level of obamas.

May 1, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  12. LCF

Sorry, Bobby.... you're the one that did the wrong thing by supporting Hillary. There's a black sheep in every family. You're it!

May 1, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  13. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

OK ..
    Were Against you..

Bye...

May 1, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  14. dude

Hillary is drowning and pulling Obama, Democrats, and the nation down with her.

May 1, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  15. Allen In North Carolina

Why for the life of me can I not figure out why people would want to put a criminal to run our whitehouse?.... I saw Hillary the movie... And Hillary uncensored, It'll blow your mind..... Please to those of you that support her check it out....

May 1, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  16. Rick in GA

Against you:

I'm all for saving at the pump, but it has to be done in the right way. This pandering for Indiana and North Carolina votes is getting pretty sickening.

May 1, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  17. Nannie Turner

Obamaniacs:So this is the new kind of politics you have been preaching about.Real change.Change you can beleive???Sounds like the old politics as usual to me.Slash and burn.There is nothing new about this.But then we knew that all the time.More fairy tales.This a page out of the Republican Swift boaters tactics.This is what Obama's administration will be like?Dirty politics.

May 1, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  18. kay kay

The gas tax holiday is a stupid bribe to voters. Sure let's get deeper into debt so you can get an extra tank of gas this summer. Let's spend billions. Oh, and we'll make the oil companies pay for it, because we just know they won't raise the price and make you pay for it. Good god, how stupid do politicians think people are.

May 1, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  19. Realize these real lies.

I just want to know one thing; after you & your husband get done rigging this debate. If you are the President ,What would your husbands name title in the White House would be??/ Also , WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD ANYONE VOTE FOR YOU AFTER GIVING THAT SO-CALLED PRESIDENT ,THE RIGHT TO VOTE FOR THAT WAR.YOUR VOTE HELPED KILL OVER 4000 PEOPLE WHO ARE MOTHERS ,FATHERS BROTHERS SISTERS ,UNCLES ETC. EVERYBODY NEEDS TO KNOW , YOU ARE PLAYING A DIRTY GAME... BUT YOUR FOLLOWERS SEEMS TO FORGET THAT ,CAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE NOT READY FOR A BLACK MAN TO LEAD THIS NATION.. ALL YOU GUYS NEED ADMIT THAT IS TRUE.AND USING THESE FALSE COMMENTS THAT YOU KNOW DON'T MAKE SINCE... COME ON OVER... OBAMA WON'T HURT YOU...

May 1, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  20. All American--->

Has it become politically incorrect to say someone is "a bald-faced liar"? Geesh!

Superdelegates can see through her like a piece of lace. I'm sure that "hard line" makes more of them take the steps they had long decided to anyway just a bit quicker... toward Obama.

May 1, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  21. mitch from ark.

she's like a parrot, that won't fly away,even if you leave the cage door open.everything obama has done,in this campaign,she's tried to copy it.how sad that her campaign can't come up with their own ideas,they can't manage their money,they won't quit pandering to voters,and still she has people supporting her.clinton supporters are just as responsible as hillary is,for tearing this party apart.i'm glad i'm independent.

May 1, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  22. GoForIt

OK HIllary. Go for it! Remember when Obama criticized you for being a corporate lawyer, and you countered with Reznick, lets go for it. I KNOW that Howard Dean is a Obama supporter, and so do you. Regardless of what Goergen says, get ready. If Obama supporters keep up the pressure, then go black on black. And you know what I mean and its not about Rev Wright!!!!

May 1, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  23. Tricia in NH

Yes, she is full of it-full of strength, conviction, and an indominable spirit which is just what this country needs. Obama's a good guy, but he does't stand up to the right people. Not even Wright himself. He made a speech, but did he talk to the man directly? Hillary challenges the powers that be to action, in the public eye. She took on Bill O'Reilly and handled him with ease. She is the answer. I'm sorry you don't see that yet.

May 1, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  24. Sam, Muncie, Ind.

Um, I'm sorry, but if Hillary Clinton is now co-opting Barack Obama's story about Republicans voting for him … does she not realize we all know she's lying?

May 1, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  25. Dave

Wasn't it not too long ago that the Bush/Rove team told everyone, "You're either with us or against us..." regarding terrorists that didn't arrive in Iraq until after we did. Starting to sound like Hillary will be more like a continuation of Bush than McCain!!!

May 1, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |