May 1st, 2008

Poll of polls: Obama losing ground

Obama now leads Clinton by 1 point nationally.
Obama now leads Clinton by 1 point nationally.

(CNN) - The Democratic presidential race is tightening nationally, according to a new CNN average of several recent polls.

Obama's lead is now down to 1 point over Clinton nationwide, 45 percent to 44 percent, in CNN's "poll of polls." That margin is down 3 points from another CNN poll of polls conducted two days ago. In that analysis, Obama led Clinton 47 percent to 43 percent. The margin is also considerably lower than an April 18 poll of polls that showed Obama with an 11 point lead.

The poll of polls consists of three newly released national polls from Fox News/Opinion Dynamics, Gallup, and Newsweek. There is no margin of error on the poll of polls.

Both the Fox News poll and the Gallup poll were conducted partially after Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, made a fresh round of controversial comments earlier this week.

The Fox News poll also appears to show Obama no longer has an edge over Clinton among independent voters. In head-to-head match ups, presumptive Republican nominee John McCain wins independents by a 4 point margin over Clinton (42-38 percent) and by a 10 points over Obama (47 percent to 37 percent).

Filed under: Poll of polls
soundoff (1,279 Responses)
  1. Chris, Silicon Valley, CA, USA

HOPE
    CHANGE
    YES WE CAN

HOPE (for what?)
    CHANGE (what?)
    YES WE CAN (what?)

April 30, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  2. Eric

We know that Clinton will be in high gear on day one. But we also know what her approach will be; nasty negativism rather than dignity. Do we want a president who approaches foreign nations in this manner? Spending her energies on their imagined or trivial faults? Imagine her addressing the middle east problems, or Islam, or Russia, China and the European nations in this manner.

I look forward to a president of dignity to represent this nation, and Obama – and McCain – are people of dignity.

Eric

April 30, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  3. Tim MN.

It's really hard to say if either of them is electable, however I just don't think Obama is seasoned enough to take on a war hero like McCain. We all know Clinton is a HUGE beotch and a fighter to the end she doesn't quit EVER! If it is her she'll woop McCain's but indeed. This long long race shouldn't dived the Democratic party the way everyone keeps saying and acting like it is if you are a Democrat than either choice should be what is good for the party and unite to take on McCain in November!

April 30, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  4. sharonl

I hope he doesn't lose the nomination – but with Billary and McSame along with all the mainstream media going against him – it will be an uphill battle. And who says Obama isn't a strong man.

April 30, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  5. A conservative

A poll is worth nothing in this country! But what is clear is the dems have no one running with any leadership ability who is worthy oft he presidency!

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  6. Mike

I don't put must trust in polls. While the most recent polls show that Obama has taken a downturn, many still give him a significant lead (Rasmussen shows a lead of 4% and Newsweek shows a lead of 7%). The Fox news polls are so extreme in their numbers compared to other news organizations that I don't think they can possibley be accurate. As well, polling for the general election will change significantly once the Democratic canidate can focus on it. Even if the Democrats have to decide the canidate at the convention in August, there will still two months before the general election and a lot can happen in that time.

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  7. orlando

I don't trust Obama who covers himself really well. He told us that he is a uniter. But from what he has done, he is not a uniter. He uses the race card to divide the party.

Hillary 08.

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  8. Jean

Why would anyone in their right mind like Clinton? I know this world is going to hell fast, But don't hurry it with that Lying like a rug bag.!
    Go Obama!!!!!

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  9. BH

I am not surprised by it. I really like the what Hilllary is proposing. Giving us a a tax break on gas and pay for it by windfall tax on oil companies.

Mccain wants to do it to, but will not pay for it. So what he will do is create more deficit just like the W Bush.

What I do not understand is that why Senator Obama, who is suppose to be the hope guy, the lobbyist fighter, is willing not to do anything. He says Hillary's proposal is a gimmick. And he is absolutely right, it is a gimmick if you think that congress cannot enforce a windfall tax on oil companies.
    Now if he is the guy who is suppose to take on the oil companies why isn't he willing to take on oil companies and create windfall tax on them. The good thing about it is that it will make oil companies think twice before they get involve in price gauging if at all they engage in it. People are suspicious because we are suffering at the pump, but oil executives are soaring with millions.

Atleast Hilary is saying she is willing to take them on, and willing to give us a little break however little it may be.

Think about it Clinton haters.

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  10. Davis

this all all so much BULL. its ridiculous. that word "electable" should be tossed in the trash. Hillary is a soccer mom looking for every possible way to even try and catch Obi. OBi still takes the cake and all these polls are meaningless, always have been. If Billary wins the nomination somehow maybe a way Bush won the elections (rigging), i'm staying in canada and not voting. too screwed up. Go OBAMA

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. NC Voter

If Obama cannot take this then he doesn't stand a chance against the GOP. Obama lies and so does Clinton. They are politicians, it is their job to lie. I appreciate the media attacking candidates, because I want to see how a candidate deals with it.

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. Jesus

Leave me out of this mess!!

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  13. Doreen Johnson

My goodness Bill Pike, take some medication. Lincoln? I think not.

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. Deb, IN

I bet that VP spot is looking pretty tempting for Obama right now.
    I personally wouldn't for for him if he is anywhere near the ticket.

April 30, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. JJ

I don't think so. It's because of CNN, MSNBC and Fox that Obama got this far. They have always come accross as favoring Obama instead of Clinton. They hate the Clintons. If the truth be known, if the Media had exposed all of this about Obama in the beginning it would of been over quick but they wanted the ratings and the public attention for awhile. There may even be more about Obama that's being reserved for future use if he get nominated.

Clinton still stands after 30ish years and you expect Obama to make a stand in 12 years limited involvement in the playing field? Obama acted too late and I still think that it's not over because he still chooses, I think, I may be wrong but I didn't hear him say that he's leaving the church. What would you do if you were Obama and this was done to you by the Pastor that represents your church–no way would I need someone to tell you what to do unless, you still have an interest in the philosopher of the man. Again, according to the reaction of the congregation this was not a once in awhile method of expressing yourself.

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  16. aggiemom

Hillary said she would throw the kitchen sink at Obama to win the White House and she has. She is lying low now and the guilty dog does that. I would not doubt she has paid off Rev Wright to do the things he did against Obama Monday.

I can not understand any pastor doing what he did. I think he is crazy enough to have had some help....and who wants the White House and who has done things in the past but HILLARY & BILL. Sounds like they are up to dirty tricks again.

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Ann

chris April 30th, 2008 5:28 pm ET

If Barak looses another 5 points over the next week I think he'll consider disowning Michelle."

Good one.!

To be honest, I am sorry for this guy.. although I never liked him, trusted him or thought he would be a good US president.. for reasons that have nothing to do with the current story. He is just not there! maybe never.

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. Solid Voter

I voted for Obama in my state's priomary, and if he wins the nomination, I will vote for him in November. Not only are the polls meaningless, but the frantic need to blow every single story out of proportion only effects opinions temporarily. That shows how fickle we are. I actually think Obama's hesitation to immediately "disown" his former pastor shows backbone and loyalty. People are complicated, and we all have friends or acquaintances who say and do things we find offensive, but because we form relationships of various kinds, we don't toss them aside.

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. Fred

With the current state of delagetes as Follows

BO 1730
    HC 1593

Difference of 137

Total Super Delagates 796

BO 239 Superdelagates
    HC 261 Superdelagates

Means a remaining 296 Superdelagates to decide.

For Hillary to go ahead of BA, she would need 73% of the 296 superdelagates. This is Highly unlikely, if she does it would not bode well for Democratic Party, as a percentage like that would indicate an Undercurrent of Racism among the Super Delagates that chose hillary by that percentage.

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. J Hardie

Hillary in '08! Barrack needs to realize the only chance he has of getting into the White House past McCain is to be VP on Hillary's ticket

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. chul run park

This is written by a Korean American aged 82. supporting Obama.

Obama compaign started with stem of tree and now narrowing to branches and ...leaves.

Keep shouting CHANCE. Show off your youth and emphasize your gneration.

No details and flaters. In your case INPIRATION is more needed than persuatiion.

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  22. James, OH

I am a democrat and will vote for the only democrat left in the Race...Senator Obama.

I am so sick of Hillary's antics. I'm not calling her "Senator" because I believe she doesn't even deserve that title.

If only 10% of her scandals were made public by news networks like CNN (I'm starting to wonder), she'd be politically finished in a second.

People don't want to know the truth about Hillary Clinton. Yet, they jump over anything that can hurt Senator Obama. Such nonsense and bias...and frankly immaturity.

...no wonder the majority of Hillary's voters are old, rednecks and/or
    uneducated, or all of the above.

Hillary Clinton is JUST LIKE Bush. Like or not, she is.

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  23. Indu B

Mike,
    I THINK AMONG ALL THE BLOGGERS HERE, YOU GOT IT RIGHT. IT WAS STAGED AND NOW NOBAMA CANNOT CONTROL IT. HOWEVER, WRIGHT IS SO WRONG THAT ANYBODY WHO EVEN LISTENED TO HIM FOR THE 2ND TIME (FORGET 20 YEARS REPEATEDLY), IS ALSO WRONG. I CANNOT UNDERSTAND HOW NOBAMA COULD LISTEN TO HIM FOR SO LONG... OR IT MUST BE THAT NOBAMA LIKED WRIGHT'S IDEOLOGY – I CANNOT FIND ANY OTHER EXPLANATION. NOBAMA TALKED ABOUT HIS OWN GRANDMA AND ABOUT THOSE DAYS. WHATEVER! IF I DO NOT AGREE TO SOMETHING EVEN MY SPOUSE SAYS... I WILL NOT LISTEN TO IT ANY MORE. WHY DID NOT HE CHANGE THE CHURCH? WHY DID NOT HE SPEAK OUT!!! C'MON! WE ARE NOT STUPID!

GO HILLARY 2008!

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  24. Patricia

Obama does not need to get down and dirty. He is campaigning on positive change and he doesn't need to get dirty like Hilary. I am still hopeful that the American Public has a brain and will vote for the candidate who can make a positive change in America.

Who are these ignorant people who listen to FOX news?

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  25. Getting tired of this

I am an Obama supporter and have to admit that I am concerned that superdelegates might reconsider in the face of the damage that the RNC and the McCain and Clinton campaigns have each been doing to his candidacy by questioing his patriotism, race-baiting, charging that he would be weaker as commander-in-chief than even the other party's candidate, etc, etc, etc.

However, this stuff is to be expected from the RNC and McCain and, if repsonded to by a nifed Dem party, would have much less impact on general election voters. The same tactics are inexcusable when they come from Clinton. And if Clinton gets the nomination as a result of such tactics, she will be rightly reviled.

I understand that HRC supporters may not vote for Obama if he were to get the nomination and they may feel he is underqualified – even "unelectable" – but that is a very far cry from him being elected because he trashed the other candidate to the point of irretrievable reputational damage.

If she wins that way she will experience a backlash from within her own party and its constituencies that simply would not be matched by the backlash from Clinton supporters vs. an Obama candidacy. After all, if he were to win, it would be at least in part due to the incompetence of her campaign throughout the first 30 state contests. Not much to be angry at him about there.

April 30, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52