May 1st, 2008

Poll of polls: Obama losing ground

Obama now leads Clinton by 1 point nationally.
Obama now leads Clinton by 1 point nationally.

(CNN) - The Democratic presidential race is tightening nationally, according to a new CNN average of several recent polls.

Obama's lead is now down to 1 point over Clinton nationwide, 45 percent to 44 percent, in CNN's "poll of polls." That margin is down 3 points from another CNN poll of polls conducted two days ago. In that analysis, Obama led Clinton 47 percent to 43 percent. The margin is also considerably lower than an April 18 poll of polls that showed Obama with an 11 point lead.

The poll of polls consists of three newly released national polls from Fox News/Opinion Dynamics, Gallup, and Newsweek. There is no margin of error on the poll of polls.

Both the Fox News poll and the Gallup poll were conducted partially after Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, made a fresh round of controversial comments earlier this week.

The Fox News poll also appears to show Obama no longer has an edge over Clinton among independent voters. In head-to-head match ups, presumptive Republican nominee John McCain wins independents by a 4 point margin over Clinton (42-38 percent) and by a 10 points over Obama (47 percent to 37 percent).

Filed under: Poll of polls
soundoff (1,279 Responses)
  1. Beverly, Houston

To all of you Obama Bashers!!! It is now a fact that her supporters are uneducated and even ignorant.

Enjoy this one day where you think she is leading in the polls.

When she goes negative tonight on O'Reilly, he will correct her and he will ask her some rough questions, about having Wright in the White House when Monica's story broke, about the pardons of the Weather Underground people and all the other sleaze of Hill/Billy.

And to you NON OBAMA BASHERS, I agree. Barack needs to get down in the dirt with her and knock her out once and for all. She is the most disgusting liar and manipulator I believe I have ever seen. I thought Bill was bad!!.

April 30, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  2. Ronda in Oregon

I don't believe Obama can run our country effectively when he can't seem to deal with anything but controversies he his Rev. and his wife have started. It would be a shame to put him in the White House and other countries view him and us in such a light. I think he needs to quit being the Brittney Spears of Washington. Drama,Drama, Drama doesn't do a thing about cold hard facts that Americans are having to deal with. Thank you, Ronda in Oregon

April 30, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  3. Vonnie

Now we need to talk about the 17 Million law suit Peter Paul vs the Clinton's. I would like to know this has not been put on CNN front page. Another question everyone wanted Obama to leave the Paster. I would like to know why didn't the Catholics leave the Church after all the MOLESTATION charges agaist the church.

April 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  4. PL

I feel so sorry for what Obama has to go through. His speaking out is going to cost him. He is in a situation where darn if you do, and darn if you dont. He is applauded for his courage for speaking up; but for what he had said, I hope nobody who knows him well all these years will come up with any contradiction as to the veracity of his remarks.
    Dont blame CNN who actually has not followed up with the Wright connection even when the news came out in March 07. Obama had not been under scrutiny until the ABC report early this year. and of course, for Obama's sake, I hope the rev will heed Clyburns's advice: silence is gold.

April 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  5. Joshua College Station Texas

The hot new story at CNN is that Clinton is up, Obama is down. All we hear is Reverend Wright, Reverend Wright, Reverend Wright!

Enough already! That is only the story because editors at CNN want that to be the story. You are making news, not reporting it. It's so typical. Obama is NOT Reverend Wright, or anything even remotely close. How about the reporters write a story about some policy point we never hear about, if it's a slow news day, like the positions of the candidates on scientific research, or primary education, or alternative fuels, or anything other than Reverend Wright?

Obama is moving forward in his campaign, getting out, meeting voters, staying cool-headed and even keeled, but that ain't that isn't "interesting" to CNN editors. Real judgment, which is often silent and intellectual, takes too much thought and isn't engaging or sensational enough. Hillary, though, with her "come-from-behind win" (Hello! She was the front runner in Pennsylvania! How was it a come-from-behind win?!), now there is something interesting, according to CNN.

Give me a break. The shift in momentum is being fueled by mainstream news editors who want to keep the action hot, without regard for accuracy.

Go ahead editors, don't post this!

April 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  6. Frank Keller

First and foremost I think that Obama is as bad as it gets for a potential candidate. However with that being said, with friends like Wright who needs enemies. This guy calls himself a pastor? It's obvious that he cares only about himself and nothing about Obama. I keep hearing the pundits saying that Wright is very intelligent. I don't agree. If he was "intelligent" he would have at the least kept his mouth shut until Obama was elected president. Obama is done. There is no way that he can beat McCain in a general election. Heck he couldn't beat Daffy Duck at his point. He has is "uncle" to thank for that. Like I said with friends like that who needs enemies. I feel sorry for Obama at this point. I am sure that man didn't need any of this. Nobody deserves this. He has a right to run for president fair and square, no matter how wrong he is.

April 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  7. marvinj

Well Pat Buchanon's website got a hit from me a few day's ago. This so call analyst for the major news media has a hate filled page reference above “A Brief for Whitey”. I watch various news channels daily I have not once heard anyone disagree with his racist views. This leads me to believe that the media agrees with his views. Typical cowards lynch the minority. And applaud there on.

There will always be a problem as long as we have this double standard. Some white can't admit they will not vote for Sen. Obama because of his skin color, simple as that. This poison is being reinforced daily by biggots like Buchanan....... Fair and balanced

April 30, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  8. rnbwmel

Contrary to the comment posted earlier, I feel CNN has been very fair in their reporting of each candidate. I am a strong hillary supporter (and agree that if we democrats want the white house back this next term we need her to win the primary). But there are days I go onto this site and feel CNN is a Obama supporter. Bottomline, they give equal time to both candidates.

April 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  9. Lynette

It sickens me that there is even fallout over this! Sen. Obama and Rev. Wright are two very different people. I periodically go to the Church, I agree or disagree with what's said, I go back again because it's my Church and I've been going there for years. I do not expect people to completely lose their minds over something someone's Pastor says regardless of how much time is spent there. I think the people who are having issues with this are the real elitists and are much less Christian than they would like to think or would like others to think. Do you really believe that he should have become the monster towards his former pastor that we've seen in Hillary Clinton?? Absolutely not! We'd be discussing how he so easily threw him under a bus! Distancing yourself from your Pastor is not something that should be taken lightly. How many of you that go to Church, agree with everything that's said? Isn't that called a cult??

April 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  10. David in San Francisco

I'm confused. Or maybe it's a lack of education in mathematics. But how does being statistically tied with Senator Clinton mean that Senator Obama is "toast"? It sounds like the race is tightening – AGAIN – as it had when Obama came up from behind in February to overtake Clinton. This doesn't mean anything other than the race is tight. If after North Carolina and Indiana, the polls (gotta luv them) show one candidate with a 10 point lead over another, I think it's fair to speculate further on each candidate's prospects for success or failure as the nominee based on how we think the superdelegates should decide. Until then, put your carts away.

April 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Susan, Chicagp

Are you kidding me. Fox news is so biased. And they are all idiots. I can't believe CNN used a poll from Fox News to justify this article.

April 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  12. Elvis Smith

The great right wing conspiracy is working overtime, and Hillary is with them. But the PEOPLE will speak. The MEDIA, the CORPORATIONS, the WAR MACHINE does not want C H A N G E, but the PEOPLE still have H O P E ! Stay strong Barack, YES WE CAN!

April 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  13. Angela Lee

Do you guys at CNN use the polling company owned by Mr Gupta of InfoUSA with whom Bill Clinton had a connection as a consultant?

April 30, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  14. brandon

it seems as though the tide is turning. Good bye obama!!!

April 30, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  15. Tired of it.

If anybody really believes anything that Fox News , and anymore CNN and Msnbc, puts out, I have a bridge in Arizona to sell you, real cheap.

April 30, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  16. mouli

Politics is a game. What is the inning today and how many more to play? Should I play the race card or accuse the other of playing race? Am I more patriotic than the other? Did I do a better factory-floor-sweep than the other? Which mud-slinging will yield the best spread?

We, the people, are spectators watching and providing sampling input to the weekly questionnaire from pollsters. Candidates tweak and fine-tune their attack ads, debates, chauvinistic brawls on national channels proclaiming their credentials as to who will be the best candidates to woo from poor voters to delegates to super-delegates.

Best democracy and decency at display for democracies-want-to-be all for a price funded by us the voters, sponsors, lobbyists and corporations. Great idea if only we can get us out of the recession, health-care issues, mortgage crisis, oil, global climate challenges from petty candidates.

Can God save America from the political machinery at work?

April 30, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  17. Jenny

I just can't believe how nasty Hillary supporters have been on these boards.

April 30, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  18. jp/michigan

Obama is not electable. He has abandoned the Michigan voters, he either gets 1/2 or we don't count. His choices in life so far shown him not to have good judgment. Defended his Pastor as long as it didnot hurt his campaign , once it did he disowned him. Rev. Wright is the same man as he was when Obama started going to that church, he can say what ever he wants on the matter, evidence shows he has know about his rhetoric. Push comes to shove Obama won't hesitate to do what ever to get elected!

April 30, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  19. Greg

Too bad for Clinton these polls mean absolutely nothing.

April 30, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  20. maria

obama will be the next president hillarys gone . he will slam her mark my words.

April 30, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  21. joanne

..it is amazing that there are still people out there who trust Clinton, Cant they read or do they have a bad memory, or maybe both? She is the most dishonest person EVER ( other than her husband, but that one had at least some political savvy, she doesn't. she is is a megalomaniac). Who is identifying with her? Old, illiterate, white women?...( well, I am 60 and white too). Our generation had its chance and messed up royally, so let 's shut up or do the right thing. And it is NOT Clinton again, but obviously Obama. The rest of the world knows it, so why dont we?

April 30, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  22. I'm voting for change

Why would we want another Clinton in the White House? The first one is a liar.. "I did not have relations with that woman" the second one is a liar "we landed and had to take cover under sniper fire". Obama 08, we need change in this country, not the same old people telling the same old lies, go home Hillary and put Bill out to pasture where he belongs...

April 30, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  23. michael spenard

Let me preface by saying I'm 100% an Obama supporter.
    Many pundits have questioned the motivation for the outlandish remarks Rev. Wright made this week, but I should think it rather obvious: he gave Sen. Obama an out. Prior to the remarks, Obama standing by his pastor led to rancor, and had he denounced him then, he would have been accused of doing so for political reasons and abandoning his faith. Wright purposely made himself outrageous in order to free Obama from the controversy. Being so offensive in his remarks, Obama had every no choice but to denounce him, freeing him from his connection. And the Rev. knew that his congregation was large enough to continue to support him even in the event of some defections. If anything, it was the only move Wright could make to allow Obama to continue untainted.

April 30, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  24. Jenny

I voted for Clinton in the primaries but after her campaign against Obama since her win in Ma.. I'd vote for McCain over her. If Obama wins the nomination I will vote for him. Thank you Obama for staying out of the dirt as Clinton should have, She , like her husband will hand yet another presidency over to the republicans because of their lack of decency. I expected more from Hilary and I am very disappointed.

April 30, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  25. etel

Senator Obama has had one voice one conduct throughout his whole political career. Integrity and the audacity to tell the truth is something that Senator Clinton will never be able to have or say. Her political life always in the shadow of president Clinton has not produced any meaningful results. Now she has lost the african american vote because finally they saw her real colors. All of those young voters hopeful of a new more equal america will also turn away from someone who only cares about saying whatever necessary to be ellected. She has demonstrated noy to care to bring down the house along with her failed campaign. I am sad to say that at one point I had hope that the american people were becoming adults but I guess all they care is to hear what they want to hear and continue their denial of the ills of this country.

April 30, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52