May 1st, 2008

Poll of polls: Obama losing ground

Obama now leads Clinton by 1 point nationally.
Obama now leads Clinton by 1 point nationally.

(CNN) - The Democratic presidential race is tightening nationally, according to a new CNN average of several recent polls.

Obama's lead is now down to 1 point over Clinton nationwide, 45 percent to 44 percent, in CNN's "poll of polls." That margin is down 3 points from another CNN poll of polls conducted two days ago. In that analysis, Obama led Clinton 47 percent to 43 percent. The margin is also considerably lower than an April 18 poll of polls that showed Obama with an 11 point lead.

The poll of polls consists of three newly released national polls from Fox News/Opinion Dynamics, Gallup, and Newsweek. There is no margin of error on the poll of polls.

Both the Fox News poll and the Gallup poll were conducted partially after Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, made a fresh round of controversial comments earlier this week.

The Fox News poll also appears to show Obama no longer has an edge over Clinton among independent voters. In head-to-head match ups, presumptive Republican nominee John McCain wins independents by a 4 point margin over Clinton (42-38 percent) and by a 10 points over Obama (47 percent to 37 percent).

Filed under: Poll of polls
soundoff (1,279 Responses)
  1. Jennifer

Guess what kids? Back in 2004, John Kerry 's electability numbers were through the roof and we all know how that turned out.

April 30, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  2. Julia

Hillary 08' and '12

April 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  3. ANTI CLINTONS

You poll lovers, polls mean nothing, it's who is standing at the end that is the winner, take your polls and stick it.

April 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  4. ron

He has still got the Popular votes Pledged delegates votes, and the most States. CNN's reporting of news is as fuzzy as Sen. Clinton's math

Go Obama/Edwards 08

April 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  5. CM0008

Hillary is a con artist at it's worse and very dirty. She's doing the same thing that Bush did and when he lead the silly Americans to believe he would he make a strong president. I'd definitely vote Republican in the final vote, if she was to win the Primaries. Barack your new slogan should be "don't let the arrogance and ignorance trick the American people AGAIN into believing that Hillary would make a good president.

What this story doesn't mention are the ties between WVWV (the callers) and the Clinton campaign. Clinton campaign chief Maggie Williams was on their board. Their executive director Joe Goode was a Clinton pollster. Board member John Podesta was Bill Clinton's chief of staff. People with Clinton ties are the ones trying to confuse North Carolina voters!

April 30, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  6. gene

Nobama can not win now. Maybe when he gets some time in national politics. We can not afford a trainee in the prez office. Hes a nice guy but so is millions of other people. He is making promises he can not keep. We are fed up with lies and misinformation.

April 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  7. CHRIS

CNN IT'S YOUR BIAS POLL, YOUR NEWS STATION AND YOUR WEBSITE SO YOU DO THE MATH!

April 30, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. Ray from Gainesville VA

I'm sorry, why does this poll matter? If Sen Obama wins either IN or NC, who cares what these poll numbers say. He will still lead in delegates, states won and vote count. Spin, spin, spin.

April 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  9. Darlene, NC

Why has this not been reported in detail before the American public.....

In an astonishing ruling by the Judge, Hillary Clinton may NOT be deposed about her role in the illegal solicitation and cover up of the largest contribution made to her Senate campaign until after the presidential election. This is the same contribution Hillary denied knowing about or receiving when Lloyd Grove of the Washington Post asked her specifically about it and her relationship with the donor, Peter Paul, in August 2000. Its the same contribution her finance director David Rosen was criminally tried in May, 2005, or hiding from her and her campaign. Its the same contribution the FEC fined her campaign for hiding from the voters in three false FEC reports by her treasurer between 2000-2006. (www.paulvclinton.com)

April 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  10. Raphael

Oh, well, I am going fishing and hunting in November! What are you doing?
    Bitter Voter Who Supports Obama in Virginia

April 30, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  11. carlos

if hillary can beat mccain lets go 4 hillary superdelegates

April 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  12. DEMCRATS

Obama is just in a crazy mess. He'll figure everything out and he'll be the president! (If he can over-win McCain...)

Clinton just lies! Just look at her fake smile, and her tears dropping from her eyes.

BARACK OBAMA PRESIDENT 2008!!!!!

April 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  13. Obama

only because Hillary is lying and everyone is dumb enough to believe her. Its a wonder why the Educated are voting for Obama. She is history its been proven that no matter what she wont win.

Goodbye!

April 30, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  14. kyle

instead of your current article title, why does it not read

“In spite of Wright, Obama shows Endurance and Continues Lead” ?

I’ll tell you why.
    As FoxNews, the GOP prefer Clinton, so does about every
    media outlet such as CNN.

April 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  15. jdp

I remained undecided for a long time, but I was leaning toward Senator Obama. Then I started reading about this pastor. His comments greatly concerned me. I couldn't figure out why Senator Obama did not say anything about the the pastor of Trinity church. This man had been saying these things for a long time. It is only after the pastor's comments became too public, that Senator Obama distanced himself from his spiritual leader.
    I decided who I would vote for, when I did not hear condemnation for this pastor soon enough. Now it is too late. We need someone who will stand up to hatred not ignore it until it becomes too inconvenient.

America needs to get over political correctness and start doing the right thing. Racial hatred, whether it is coming from a white or a black or any other color, is unacceptable. By the way, white America does not have a monopoly on racism. It comes out of every group.

By the way D-mo-Crat, no one splits the Democratic Party. This is an election where we all get a chance to see the potential presidents over a period of time. That way, we can make an educated vote for the best person.

April 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  16. Kaci

Horses to slaughter. You drank the HRC Kool Aid and are primed and ready. Folks "uncomfortable" with Obama weren't going to vote for him anyway. The USA is not a progressive country or culture. No one has "experience" to be president. Leadership, courage, honor. That's what it takes and Obama has shown that, for those ready to get their heads out of sound bites and polls. God bless America, because if you elect HRC, God help us.

April 30, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  17. Steve

I am an Obama backer, but I admit I am VERY tired of this primary. I don't trust Hillary, McCain is nuts, and Obama is losing ground. I hate what's happening here, but the hope that Obama talks about is fading. It appears that once again, we are going to have politics as usual.

I am all for building a fence. The only thing I disagree with is the "where". We shouldn't build a fence along our southern border. We should build a fence around DC. I am tired of politicians who promise everything and deliver nothing. I am tired of presidents who drag us into a war with the wrong country, killing our kids by the thousands for a political agenda that the country we're "protecting" doesn't care about. I am tired of seeing the erosion of our roads, our health care, and other services, because our president is so focused on an unwinnable war, while his political opponents are focused on raising funds for their (re) elections.

When, I ask, will the government return to "Of the people, by the people, and for the people"?

It's time for a dramatic change. I fear that change is not going to take place.

April 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. jeff

Why would anyone choose the negative lies of Hillary over the new beginnig of Barack? Old Washington (the way of Clinton) does not work. Lets make a positive change.

Fifty year old white college educated Texan for Obama.

April 30, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  19. FK Hitlery

Hitlery is making the inevitable comeback and will win the nomination and the presidency. It feels as if she is GOD's chosen one to be the next president and that she will fulfill her destiny as GOD's CHOSEN ONE. No matter what McCain and Obama try to do, it is GOD's WORD and WILL that Hitlery becomes president. Nobody has the power to stop the unstoppable and the inevitable. I would rather see Obama win the nomination, but Hillary is THE SUPREME BEING and will be Queen President. This country and the whole world is going to be screwed. She will nuke Iran and then China into OBLIVION and then commit the next Holocaust on both Iranians and Chinese in this country. Iranians and Chinese will no longer exist in this world under her DIVINE rule.

April 30, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  20. reno

if clinton is given the nod it will split the party into
    and mccain will get in with no problem

April 30, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  21. Walt Doering

Obama lacks good judgment! What a joke. Both Hillary and McCain voted for the war while Obama took a firm stand, declaring his opposition to it, before they voted for it. Hillary and McCain's votes were truly votes of such poor judgment that today we still have a war in Iraq which will cost us $9 trillion plus with the cost of lives now around 4,000 plus, and casualties at 10,000 plus, and civilian deaths at an infintie number.

That tragic decision by Hillary and McCain to vote for a war, which was unnecessary, pales in comparison to Obama's initial judgement not to throw his former Pastor under the bus until a few days ago when Wright's ego let him seek to derail Obama's candidacy and impugn his character and throw Obama under the bus.

Wake up America as to who has the poor judgement on the big decisions which truly impact the lives of people not only in our country but throughout the world!

April 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  22. Tonya

An article a while back stated if Obama was white and his name was Jerry Smith would he have all the votes, I have thought about that alot and I feel like if Jerry was a honest person and he was trying to get people to come together then he would have my vote, my question is if Hillary last name was Smith and not Clinton would she have a chance, I don't think so I ask some of her supporters why do they support her and they say, because she's married to Bill look what he did in the white house so people aren't voting for Hillary they are voting for Bill C his name isn't on the ballots, and why black votes don't matter the media keep saying Obama has to get white votes, so Hillary doesn't have to get black votes to win, I am an African American and I am offended that the media feels like my vote don't matter I voted for Obama anyway Hillary will never get my vote or my family vote

April 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  23. INDY PENDENT

I do not see how anyone can blame Wright for Obama's decline.
    Obama made the choice to go to Wrights Church.
    Obama made the choice to become a very close friend with this man.
    Obama made the choice to attend this church and listen to this man for 20+ years.
    Obama, your choices are what put you at fault for this.
    What other reason was there that kept you attending his Church and listening to his sermons and donating money to his church for 20+ years if you didn't agree on what that man was preaching.
    Obama you made a horrible choice 20 years ago that you kept on making for 20 years.
    And now you blame this man for your political downfall.
    Pulleeaase....
    I think the change that Wright wants and preaches is exactly the change you want. That is why you do not give any specifics about the change you are going to bring, because that change is a warped, racist change.
    For all you Obama supporters are you seriously still trusting this man.

April 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  24. AUC

CM in Michigan. Do you have brain freeze? Senator Obama did not sell you, the citizens of Michigan nor the citizens of Flordia down the river,. Michigan has your Democratic Govenor and Florida has their Republican Govenor. What Senator Obama did was to abide by the rules of the Democratic National Convention. But I wouldn't expect you nor Hillary Clinton to dare do anything like "abide and adhere to" the rules that were set when you moved your primary date up. The rules really "do" apply to everyone; even if your name is Clinton.

Get a life and get over it lady!!! And yes, Jesus will intervene in this election process. We as arrogant Americans have forgotten that this is HIS World. We own nothing that HE can't take away or add to whenever HE wants.

Deal with it – Obama 08

April 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  25. Bennie G

We know so little about Obama. Only two years in Congress. He started with oratory and a populist theme. He seems to be just another politician with ambition greater than most. The more I learn about him, the more skeptical I am. I wonder what will be next. I doubt Obama is electable. I was undecided, but now I realize Hillary Clinton is the only Democrat who can retake the White House. She is known and we will not be surprised down the road to November.

April 30, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52