May 1st, 2008

Poll of polls: Obama losing ground

Obama now leads Clinton by 1 point nationally.
Obama now leads Clinton by 1 point nationally.

(CNN) - The Democratic presidential race is tightening nationally, according to a new CNN average of several recent polls.

Obama's lead is now down to 1 point over Clinton nationwide, 45 percent to 44 percent, in CNN's "poll of polls." That margin is down 3 points from another CNN poll of polls conducted two days ago. In that analysis, Obama led Clinton 47 percent to 43 percent. The margin is also considerably lower than an April 18 poll of polls that showed Obama with an 11 point lead.

The poll of polls consists of three newly released national polls from Fox News/Opinion Dynamics, Gallup, and Newsweek. There is no margin of error on the poll of polls.

Both the Fox News poll and the Gallup poll were conducted partially after Obama's former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, made a fresh round of controversial comments earlier this week.

The Fox News poll also appears to show Obama no longer has an edge over Clinton among independent voters. In head-to-head match ups, presumptive Republican nominee John McCain wins independents by a 4 point margin over Clinton (42-38 percent) and by a 10 points over Obama (47 percent to 37 percent).

Filed under: Poll of polls
soundoff (1,279 Responses)
  1. hill bill

Flush Obama down the drain like the tidybowl man.

April 30, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  2. Cindy

Obama will still be the nominee. The more Hillary continues her desperate destruction, the more obvious it is, who has the right temperament for the job.

April 30, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  3. Cally

After all these years, all of a sudden, Obama is " outraged" by his spiritual mentor's comments and pretend he has no clue about what is in his mind. To me, that is not sincere gesture. It is a betrayal, not only to his mentor but also to Obama himself.

April 30, 2008 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  4. hill bill

OBAMA

From Dreams Of My Father;

“To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists.”

April 30, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  5. MD in CT

Cindy Murphy

Why don't we have all 50 states just keep racing to be the first states to hold primaries so we can all look important. Gee, if each state keeps moving the date earlier we should start the primaries now for the election of 2012. Why have any order at all?

I remember in school when some kids would cut in line. I have seen many a driver cut in line rather than wait a turn.

I wonder if they come predominantly from 2 states in the Union? You think? Is that how you raised your children? Is this how your parents raised you?

April 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  6. Debra

GOT HOPE? Barack gives me hope that this democracy won't be controlled by lobbyists. I am a white female mother nurse and married to a black man.

April 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  7. John in Iowa

It's all over but the cryin' Obama!

Hillary or McCain '08-NEVER OBAMA!!!

April 30, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  8. Ellen

Stop taking Hillary's punches? Did Hillary force Obama to patronize Rev Wright's church and donate 26 million last year? Did she make him partake in services from Rezko for his 1.5 million dollar home? How about Ayer? He is his own worst enemy and when you give your opponent bullets they will surely take shots.

April 30, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  9. Carol in Calif.

Don't give up O!!! THey are just testing you...YES YOU CAN!!!!!

April 30, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  10. shelly

I wish CNN would be a little more civil and balanced. Why make this such a big deal? it really isn't that big a deal get over this and leave Obama alonE

April 30, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  11. Andy, N.C.

Polls are so misleading.

Anyways, for the sake of this country, I urge Senator Hillary Clinton to step down and let the true leader win the Democratic nomiation- that's Barack Obama. Senator Clinton is the very evil she condones in her speeches. She says one thing and does the other. Let us not forget the lies she has told us... by which I am truly "offended"... does she think we are absolute idiots?

I cannot forget Whitewater.

I cannot forget Penn.

I cannot forget all the mudslinging in this campaign... all rooted back to Hillary.

I cannot forget her push for NAFTA and the loss of jobs.

I cannot forget she signed to go to war without reading the bill.

I cannot forget she divides the Democratic party and makes this election about race/gender... especially with her very own slogans, "Yes she can" and "I'm your girl"

I cannot forget she cannot manage her own campaign and even has to stoop low as to lend her campaing millions of dollars.

I cannot forget that she accepts money from PAC/lobbyists.

I cannot forget that she lied about Bosnia.

I cannot forget her pastor was charged for molestation.

I cannot forget she is in the biggest fraud lawsuit.

For these and many reasons, I will never again be a Hillary Clinton supporter- or the Clintons, for that matter. I would rather die than vote for such a corrupt, lying, two-faced politician. True, her and Obama are similar in policies... so this goes beyond policies, it's becoming more about who they are. Personally, I don't like Clinton and the way she is. While people speak of Obama's inexperience, they forget the many people in this coutnry who started with no experience and helped shape this country. Yes, I understand that for some, this is a "Chance" on Obama... but when you look back at your life, don't you wish that maybe you should have voted for him and possibly saved your country from destroying itself.

Let's face it people, America is in Recession and the old politics got us here. It is people like Bush, McCain and Hillary who will keep us in Recession. We have to move past the BUSH-CLINTON dynasty and elect someone new. We cannot fail with Obama... you people forget that this is not a ONE man show... he has the support of congress, the house of representatives, the supreme courty, his cabinet.... all of Washington. Obama cannot make decisions without the support of Washington. So for those afraid that Obama will crew up.. he wont.

It is time that we saw Clinton and McCain for who they are.
    DO your research. Search for Hillary the Movie online.

Obama 08.

If not Obama... MIKE GRAVEL for President 08.

April 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  12. Anonymous

Last time I checked, we live in American where everyone can have an opinion, even CNN. As a party, we better decide that it doesn't matter who wins the Democratic election because we just need a Democratic in office!

April 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  13. Ray from Gainesville VA

This is what bothers me about the Sen Clinton supporters who say if Sen Obama wins the nomination they won't vote for him. It's different for Sen Obama supporters to say they wouldn't vote for Sen Clinton because it would feel like she stole the nomination from him. He's leading in every category. If Sen Clinton was leading in every category to this point, and if she won the nom, I would vote for her, tho I support Sen O. As long as it's done fairly, I can't argue against her winning. But for Sen Clinton to be trying to change the rules in FL & MI to suit her after she agreed to abide by them...and to now be saying, well it's not the delegate count that should matter, it should be the popular vote...again trying to change the rules that are in place to suit her. These are the types of things that make people question Sen Clinton and ask, is this the person I really want as my President? Someone who would keep trying to change and bend the rules to work for her...just for starters. Sounds just like our current President. Is this really the type of person we want in the WH again? Haven't we had enough of this kind of thinking?

April 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  14. Monica

Rev Wright. Obama. Birds of a feather do tend to flock together causing those of us who can evaluate the facts to question the direction of the flight.

April 30, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  15. Debra

Republicans want to run against Clinton. Am sure you've heard they are changing their registration to "democrat" so they can vote in the primaries. Don't be fooled.

April 30, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  16. Clinton supporters understand reality

Yes, a large portion of Hillary's supporters may be older. That's good. They understand life and all the hard work that goes along with just making it to 60, 70, 80, and beyond. And they understand commitment. Unlike Obama's "youngsters," who know diddly about life, whose parents worked hard to send them to college, who spend half their time on YouTube, "reality shows" ("reality" – - really?) or cell phones while weaving across traffic lanes endangering others. REAL reality is setting in about Obama - and it is fueled by those you Obama "junkies" call "old ladies" or "old geezers, "

April 30, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  17. Kris from AZ

Cindy...you have to remember Obama was not on the Michigan ballot. Looks like your right wing in power abandoned you. Obama is truly that answer to getting America back on track. He truly is a good man. Dont be fooled by Billary..opportunists. Losing the legacy that bill left and now is running a dirty campain to try and win. Dirty dirty politics..Shame on you Billary.

April 30, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  18. Voice of Reason

It's taken over 40 years for someone of Barack Obama's stature to enter the American political scene. His candidacy is a gift to the US and as Canadian, I can guarantee you, it will restore a level of respectability to the US. Too bad people are miffed with his former pastor. Wake up people: Grow up and vote for Barack.

April 30, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  19. The truth

Count-down to 2012, one of these candidates will bring light and the others will bring darkness, in the worst way. This choice will not be easy, but it must be made. Don't just think of yourself, think of your children and their children. We have reached the end of the rope, which way will you go? Once you make your choice, theirs no turning back. This is what we have now, Religion-vs-Religion, Nation-vs-Nation, Brother-vs-Brother, seems like we're crumbing from within. The weather is at its worst, from state to state, with no relief in sight. The writing is on the wall, 2012? Make the right choice!... I might be wrong, but what if I'm right.............will this be the second coming?

April 30, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  20. Robert

The day before, Wolf Blitzer retorted that Wright was off the table, but Obama made his denunciation, so we had to report it.
    Today, Wright doesn't reciprocate, so Wolf wants to know why he isn't talking.

I don't think you can have it both ways, Wolf.

I agree that Obama had his chance to cut and run from the whole mess with Wright but it looks like he wanted to present himself in a fair light.

Now, in his denunciation, his insipid appearance only feeds the momentum of the numbers, and deservedly so. Maybe he will learn something, and try to bring it again in 4 or 8 years time.

April 30, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  21. brina

The reasonwhy the super delegates have not went over to Hilary becuase she is in worst shape then Obama they are jst more focus on Obama becuase he's ahead .......oh wait until ysee the list behind Hillary's scandels.......th Hllary supporters we'll be shock!

April 30, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  22. Republican for Obama

Well that was Clinton's plan, bloody him up to the point people doubt that we can change anything. She played it like a Republican and that is coming from one. The Democrats should be disgusted with themselves for showing this country that you care less about communication and honesty than you do sinking to whatever level it takes to win. I am so sick of having the possibility of 2 candidates that I don't care for and having to choose the lesser of two evils. If Clinton steals this nomination I will vote for McCain but not because I like him it's because me and most Independents and Republicans are disgusted by Clinton. She will energize the Republican base and she has divided the Democrats to the point she has lost at least 20% of that vote.

But I guess if you can't have your cake and eat it too, it's best to make sure no one can in Clinton's mind. For shame.

April 30, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  23. NANA

I AGREE WITCH HILLARY AND WARLOCK BILL ARE UP TO THEIR OLD HABITS INSTEAD OF BUYING SILENCE THEY ARE BUYING A IGNORANT MOUTHPIECE.I'M SURE HE WAS PAID WELL FOR HIS SERVICES.I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL AUGUST TO SEE WHAT THE OUTCOME WILL BE IN THE PAUL VS CLINTON CASE.WE'LL SEE HOW MUCH SHE TALKS THEN AND I'M SURE THEY WILL ONCE AGAIN CALL UPON JEREMIAH TO GIVE THEM SOME TYPE OF SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE.

April 30, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  24. Mark

Obama's starting to show his true POLITICAL colors... he's as political as the next person and that's what people are responding to. Hillary Clinton is the only candidate who has the guts to stand up to bullies – not try to hold hands with them or reason with them – there is no reasoning with bullies.

April 30, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  25. Steve Shilts

I can't believe you would give credence to a Fox poll. Is CNN and FOX owned by the same company? I heard this and it seems like it is possible.

April 30, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52