May 2nd, 2008

Clinton praises undecided Edwardses

RALEIGH, North Carolina (CNN) – As rumors abound about who they plan do endorse, Hillary Clinton thanked former rival John Edwards and wife Elizabeth for their work on poverty and health care at North Carolina’s Friday night Jefferson-Jackson dinner, just four days before the state’s primary.

“Let me say what a great fighter North Carolina and working Americans everywhere have in John Edwards. John ran with compassion and conviction and his courageous fight to end poverty is a fight I will see to the finish,” said Clinton, adding that she would create a cabinet-level position to focus solely on poverty.

“And I want to thank Elizabeth Edwards for her passion for ending discrimination by the insurance companies and for standing up against John McCain’s inadequate and radical health care plan,” Clinton continued. “Elizabeth Edwards is a true champion for universal health care.”

Elizabeth Edwards said she would be “surprised” if she or her husband – a former North Carolina senator – endorsed a candidate before the primary, but left the door open. Many think Mrs. Edwards leans towards Clinton because she has said that she favors Clinton’s health care plan over Obama’s.

With polls showing Democrats increasingly worried that the Party has gotten too divided, Clinton began her remarks with a unifying tone.

“The stakes are too high for us not to pull together as one team. I will tell you this, if Sen. Obama is the nominee, you better believe I’ll work my heart out for him. And if I’m the nominee, I know Sen. Obama will do the same for me.”

That didn’t stop her from taking a jab at John McCain though, saying, “He looks at the hole that George Bush has dug us into and says ‘give me a bigger shovel.'”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Kathy

Oh no! Run John, RUN!!!!

Please do not vote for this woman. I don't understand why anyone can't see through her.

Make her go away!!!

May 3, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  2. JohnLee

I'm still a John Edwards supporter. To me, he is the real candidate. He's not one that is the politics of the old or a lot of puff and stuff. He actually would do something and he actually cares unlike the two (no make that three) bozos running for President.

Hillary, you won't get my vote if you are the nominee. I don't care if you paid me a thousand dollars – you won't get it! Obama, I don't care for him that much but he's the lesser of the three evils running.

May 3, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  3. Pam

Hillary, wipe that brown stuff off your nose.

May 3, 2008 12:06 am at 12:06 am |
  4. Michael4Obama08

Wow. Hillary will use anything to make sure she gets the nomination. Wow....just wow. Does she think that everyone is naive like her Billery fans?

Barack Obama/Ron Paul '08

May 3, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  5. pete

Hey cnn any chance of seeing any other article then one about hillary clinton? You guys are losing alot of ppl with this kind of reporting.

May 3, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  6. Universal Health Care for ALL

She's got the right idea. Hopefully, so does John

May 3, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  7. georgia

Trying to butter up the Edwards. Some how I think they are too moral for her camp. I hope I'm right. Why should they roll in the mud with her & the likes of Rendell who, win he's stopped for speeding in Pennsylvania, plays the "govenor "card. The batch of them (especially the Clintons) really feel rules & laws are for others.

May 3, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  8. aware

Hillary 2008 and 2012! :)

Obama is a user! He used Jeremiah Wright as long as it suited his purposes. Then Wright insulted him by telling the truth about his parishioner, and Obama's ego took over. Obama does say what he needs to say as a politician. His story changes to suit the situation. Remember his comments behind closed doors in San Francisco! If you read his books you will see his imaginative misinformation and obfuscation.

Obama does not have the authenticity, values, character, knowledge, wisdom, humility, sensitivity, judgment or strength to be president of the USA. He is just an inept freshman senator with a huge ego, a hunger for power and the anointing of the far left.

Hillary is the best prepared and the most capable candidate the USA has had in a very long time. Obama is an aberration!

Hillary 2008 and 2012! :)

May 3, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  9. Barbara

So did obama cnn come on your coverage is getting so apparent that the public is going to turn on you over this.;I know I am mad as he..
    and I am not going to watch your coverage because it is not honest.Anderson Cooper your pandering.

May 3, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  10. Sue, NY

Hopefully John Edwards sees through this pandering and endorses Obama. He should anyway because all through the debates he joined with Obama saying they were the candidates of change and she was the same old politics. Has he flip/flopped?

May 3, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  11. Mike d.

pander pander clap clap point point pander pander

May 3, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  12. jt

Maybe the Edwards are scared to endorse Hillary because people may think they are racist.

My take on this is, they probable endorse Obama rather than accuse of being racist.

Hillary 08!! Just hang in there, the people will see who is the best candidate.

Hillary 08!!

May 3, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  13. Jay

Hillary ALL THE WAY!!!! Our Only HOPE!

May 3, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  14. Louise from ohio

If Edwards supports Hillary he looses all credibility.

If he will endorse anyone then it is Obama.

May 3, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  15. Max

So did Barack.. Where is that headline?? I was there and I stayed through the entire event.

May 3, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  16. Peter

Well John, she's offering you a high paying influential post in cabinet to accomplish your hearts desire. You know she's the only real agent for "chamge", see she's changing her tune already. Go ahead John, take the apple...its fruit is sweet and it will give you great knowledge!
    Ssssssssssshe is your friend John, take a bite, maybe Elizabeth can have a bite too?

May 3, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  17. ChristiB

Hillary will say anything to win – she's trying to get the endorsement before Tuesday.

McCain is a gaffe-a-minute – CNN report indepth on McCains admission that the US is in Iraq for Oil. This is shocking. He says he was talking about the Gulf – but that is not what he said on the clip.

May 3, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  18. Eric in Lincolnton, NC

Way to go Hillary! You have my familys vote here in North Carolina. I will see you tommorow in Gastonia, NC

Hillary 08!!

May 3, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  19. A Voter

Hillary Clinton is our next American President.

I have total faith ... there's just something about her.

Besides, Failure Is Impossible!

May 3, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  20. vudai

Hello my friends!!!
    Wellcome my blog!

May 3, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  21. Sandra Lai Lee

Hillary is a liar and she copies the same health care plan from John Edwards. I hoped the Edwards families need to understand and this is not fair for Obama. I am the Edwards supporter and I won't vote for Clinton after she indirectly push Edwards out of the race. I wish Edwards will stay in longer. If HRC get the nominee and I will vote for John McClain.

May 3, 2008 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  22. Elizabeth

Good grief, CNN. Is your entire staff paid by the Clintons? I mean, take a look at the last 15 "tickers" and you will know what I mean. It's very obvious.

So much for objectivity.

Oh and Ms. Pander Bear Clinton was in full force at the JJ dinner. Oh, and Obama thanked the Edwards' too, but why would you report on Obama being nice or giving an AMAZING speech tonight?

I'm awaiting my answer while awaiting moderation.

May 3, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  23. Gerald F.

I would rather see Senator Clinton win in this round for the White House. Senator Obama has great potential. But he needs a few more years I feel. If Hillary goes in first, she is best suited to take on the job of diving in and just getting it done. THATS WHERE HER SKILLS TRULY ARE. Her first as president then Senator Obama with a better seasoned skill behind him (that icing on the cake).
    I feel he is not ready for the mountain of crud thats ahead. But Hillary is.
    If he follows (and I do not mean that in anyway in a racial slur); the US will come out farther ahead over the next 16 years (8 years each).

May 3, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  24. Kevin

Hillary is such a pandering clown.

May 3, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  25. Kevin

Hillary is such a pandering clown.

Except her nose isn't red, it's brown.

May 3, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |