May 2nd, 2008

Clinton praises undecided Edwardses

RALEIGH, North Carolina (CNN) – As rumors abound about who they plan do endorse, Hillary Clinton thanked former rival John Edwards and wife Elizabeth for their work on poverty and health care at North Carolina’s Friday night Jefferson-Jackson dinner, just four days before the state’s primary.

“Let me say what a great fighter North Carolina and working Americans everywhere have in John Edwards. John ran with compassion and conviction and his courageous fight to end poverty is a fight I will see to the finish,” said Clinton, adding that she would create a cabinet-level position to focus solely on poverty.

“And I want to thank Elizabeth Edwards for her passion for ending discrimination by the insurance companies and for standing up against John McCain’s inadequate and radical health care plan,” Clinton continued. “Elizabeth Edwards is a true champion for universal health care.”

Elizabeth Edwards said she would be “surprised” if she or her husband – a former North Carolina senator – endorsed a candidate before the primary, but left the door open. Many think Mrs. Edwards leans towards Clinton because she has said that she favors Clinton’s health care plan over Obama’s.

With polls showing Democrats increasingly worried that the Party has gotten too divided, Clinton began her remarks with a unifying tone.

“The stakes are too high for us not to pull together as one team. I will tell you this, if Sen. Obama is the nominee, you better believe I’ll work my heart out for him. And if I’m the nominee, I know Sen. Obama will do the same for me.”

That didn’t stop her from taking a jab at John McCain though, saying, “He looks at the hole that George Bush has dug us into and says ‘give me a bigger shovel.'”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Florida man

Hillary's Health INSURANCE plan is just what the people need. Just like schools, it is good to have BOTH Private and Public insurance plans out there. It promotes a healthy market with reasonable prices to choose from.

Now, only if they would do the same about the energy crisis. Government E85 stations in out of Mid-West states, anyone?

May 3, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  2. berit viklund

I hope the democratic party is smart enough to count in Florida voters. If the democrats doesn't want them I am sure the republican wants them in November.

May 3, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  3. Shirley

Of course she is pandering, but I am disappointed in Senator Edwards. I believed him to be an man of integrity but both Edwards and Gore seem to be waiting to see who has the best chance of winning instead of voting for the best candidate. Power is more important to our politicans than the state of this Country.

May 3, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  4. "praises"

you mean, she brown-nosed them. be honest.

May 3, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  5. praises?

c'mon. let's be honest. you mean she brown-nosed them.

May 3, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  6. Clinton or McCain, but NEVER obama

obama will forever be good buddies with wright....Believe it.

May 3, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  7. Ron L

ATTENTION...DO NOT BE AFRAID OF THE LOUD SUCKING NOISE!!

IT'S ONLY HILLARY DOING WHAT SHE DOES BEST..SUCK UP..AND PANDER!!

Not only is she going to give us a TAX VACATION for 90 days...

She's going to give EVERY American a $10,000 tax break to by a new car!!!

Exactly where does she plan to get the money for all this???

TYPICAL POLITICIAN...PROMISE THE WORLD...DELIVER NOTHING!!!

May 3, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  8. mike

And she got boored like nonsense. CNN add that!

May 3, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  9. Lilarose in Oregon

There are still millions of Americans who have NOT YET VOTED in primaries.

I am appalled at the "super-delegates" for demanding the end to the voting so they can determine who will be the presidential candidate.

We in Oregon vote by mail, so I don't expect a media circus here (thank God). But we DO COUNT!

I hope that the John Edwardses do NOT endorse anyone for president.

May 3, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  10. Republican for Obama

Puuleease!

Can she pimp herself anymore? She wan't exactly nice to Edwards and his wife when he was running. Now that she is behind the 8 ball she panders to his supporters for anything she can get.

May 3, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  11. Hawaii Dems

This race is over!!

May 3, 2008 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  12. PENNVOTER

AWESOME SPEECH!!!

May 3, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  13. Win at Any Cost

She is leader of all who believe in "Win at Any Cost" Philosophy.

May 3, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  14. Marie Shafe

Hillary...Go for the gusto! You having been telling it like it is and keep telling the truth and keep fighting as EVERY VOTE NEED A VOICE.....AND YES, FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN TOO!

May 3, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  15. Marie Shafe

Hillary...Go for the gusto! You having been telling it like it is and keep telling the truth and keep fighting as EVERY VOTE NEEDS A VOICE.....AND YES, FLORIDA AND MICHIGAN TOO!

May 3, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  16. Peter Damoah-Afari

I am sure the press want Hillary. No wonder they are always spending time on unnecessary issues. You will be put to shame after Obama doubles NC and Indiana.

May 3, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  17. Leah DiMarco, Texas

I watched Hillary's speech tonight and I really hope that people DO NOT think that John or Elizabeth have endorsed anyone yet because they have NOT.

I still believe that they will be endorsing Senator Obama.

Obama / Kathleen Sebelius '08

May 3, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  18. Shame....

I don't see the part where the crowd boo'ed her. She was terrible and a great liar. The people saw through this and gave her hell.

Why didn't you print this? And were is Obama's review of the event? He also praised John and Elizabeth Edwards. Did you leave the event early or something?

May 3, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  19. BHO

She is afraid that Edwards will endorse Obama.

May 3, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  20. neal

Florida man, I totally AGREE with you. Hillary is the way to achieve.

May 3, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  21. Janel, St. Paul, MN

Talk about pandering!!

May 3, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  22. adam

Hillary, please keep going and do not stop, we are loving you more and more.

McCain 08

May 3, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  23. debbie

John and Elizabeth I pray see the light and see Hillary as the canidate who can and will beat McCain ..
    Obama has way too many Negatives that the GOP will jump on to defeat him and defeat him badly too ...
    They will make the REV WRIGHT hate speeches into something that will make the SWIFTBOAT attacks look like play ground pranks .....
    Hillary Clinton is our last best hope to win the WHITE HOUSE ..

May 3, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  24. KevinPenn Sr Alabama [Teamsters Local 402]

Indiana make the right choice vote Obama.

May 3, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  25. adam

another $100.00 today for Hillary, if you are republican and have a brain you should do the same. Kill two birds with one stone. These idiots should not run the country.

McCain 08