May 2nd, 2008

Clinton praises undecided Edwardses

RALEIGH, North Carolina (CNN) – As rumors abound about who they plan do endorse, Hillary Clinton thanked former rival John Edwards and wife Elizabeth for their work on poverty and health care at North Carolina’s Friday night Jefferson-Jackson dinner, just four days before the state’s primary.

“Let me say what a great fighter North Carolina and working Americans everywhere have in John Edwards. John ran with compassion and conviction and his courageous fight to end poverty is a fight I will see to the finish,” said Clinton, adding that she would create a cabinet-level position to focus solely on poverty.

“And I want to thank Elizabeth Edwards for her passion for ending discrimination by the insurance companies and for standing up against John McCain’s inadequate and radical health care plan,” Clinton continued. “Elizabeth Edwards is a true champion for universal health care.”

Elizabeth Edwards said she would be “surprised” if she or her husband – a former North Carolina senator – endorsed a candidate before the primary, but left the door open. Many think Mrs. Edwards leans towards Clinton because she has said that she favors Clinton’s health care plan over Obama’s.

With polls showing Democrats increasingly worried that the Party has gotten too divided, Clinton began her remarks with a unifying tone.

“The stakes are too high for us not to pull together as one team. I will tell you this, if Sen. Obama is the nominee, you better believe I’ll work my heart out for him. And if I’m the nominee, I know Sen. Obama will do the same for me.”

That didn’t stop her from taking a jab at John McCain though, saying, “He looks at the hole that George Bush has dug us into and says ‘give me a bigger shovel.'”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Tim, AL

If John Edwards endorses Obama, he will be compromising his legacy and his life's work. Hillary has been on the frontlines for a long time on the issue of poverty and I've never heard Obama mention one SOLUTION to the problem.

John and Elizabeth Edwards, please endorse Hillary today!!!

May 3, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  2. Paula in WI

Isn't it convienient that you only thought of him when you screwed yourself.Edwards will see right through that.

May 3, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  3. Just Politics

Like I believe anything that comes out of that woman's mouth. If anyone actually believes Hillary is so found of Edwards, why did she accuse him of slinging mud right out of the gate in one of the early debates? Hillary refused to answer the question asked but deflected to a comment on Edwards slinging mud when he was just contrasting their differences. Then there was the "piling on" poor Hillary moment.

Edwards was so against special interest and lobbists that I don't see how he could support her if he is a man of his word. I remember him trying to pin Hillary down on whether or not she would make a commitment to "not have lobbists in the White House on Day 1" and she wouldn't...she just said she "didn't know".

I heard Elizabeth's comments on Hillary Care and it wasn't exactly an resounding endorsement of her. She simply stated she preferred national healthcare.

May 3, 2008 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  4. Vig

Maybe they will endorse on the eve of the North Carolina primary

May 3, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  5. busterdog

Suck it up Hillary! Suck it up! If Edwards has half a brain (and I think his does) he would never endorse you at this time. And I don't see Mrs. Edwards doing so either. By the way...liking one health plan over another is no guarantee that they will vote that way as there is so much more to consider like honesty, respect, sincereity and positive leadership. That, my friends leaves out Clinton.

May 3, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  6. meggy

go white america....

May 3, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  7. Kirk

John & Elizabeth Edwards Are Good People !!! . No One Can Argue That Fact . What's Wrong With Saying So ? .

Hillary 2008

May 3, 2008 01:22 am at 1:22 am |
  8. JRC

Obama has too many negatives?? The Clinton's are the king and queen of negativity. The GOP will have a field day with them. Why do you think Rush Limbaugh is encouraging republicans who can vote in democratic primaries to vote for Clinton? Hint: it's not because the GOP wants an "exciting" election.

I have a great deal of respect for the Edwards' for allowing the people of NC to make up their own minds.

May 3, 2008 01:23 am at 1:23 am |
  9. Ross in MD

Adam – I love your Limbaugh logic. What happens if Hillary does beat McCain though, and you are stuck with her for four years?

Obama 08

May 3, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  10. A.M.

John Edwards should have endorsed 'Obama' before North Carolina primary if he really cared for 'America' and if really he is true 'American', the way he talks, I had hoped he would have walked the talk. Go for the obvious, the one who is ahead in delegate count, states won, and ahead in popular votes.

Come on John Edward make a move and do it today!

"Obama .. 08" .. it is now a REALITY. Be a part of a successful dream, be brave and do what 'Joe Andrew' did. Learn from him the wisdom!

A.M.
    Houston, Texas

May 3, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  11. Relevant

"Hillary is best suited to getting the job done"

BASED ON WHAT EVIDENCE, SIR?

May 3, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  12. Christopher in Anaheim, CA

C'mon Senator and Mrs. Edwards... I beg you to endorse Senator Clinton. She's our best chance to fight the poverty, hunger, substandard education, and economic woes that plague this great nation.

May 3, 2008 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  13. rmendo

Bush
    Clinton
    Clinton
    Bush
    Bush
    Clinton
    Clinton
    Is this good for democracy?
    Vote for change.
    Obama 08

May 3, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  14. Love Elizabeth

she is right on re Sen Clinton....I trust she and Sen Edwards will support her.

May 3, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  15. DOH!

'sup Adam......you just WASTED your money......Even you McCain-Republicans can't buy Obama out of this.....

OBAMACANS
    OBAMADENTS
    OBAMACRATS

We all rock

you.......well........you don't.

May 3, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  16. Coretta

Who cares who the Edwards endorse. John Edwards just wants a cabinet seat, so he is playing on both sides of the fence. If he can not man up and select a candidate for endorsement before the NC primary then he does not need a cabinet seat.

May 3, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  17. DOH!

and dear Debbie.....the DRAMA......spare me the DRAMA.......you think those old bad GOPers are gonna git Obama? Rev Wright is soooooo last MONTH......
    What we haven't heard about is: Hillary Clinton- defendant in CALIFORNIA FRAUD CASE --> PAUL vs. CLINTON
    and that my friend Debbie, is just the TIP of the HILLARY ICEBURG!!!

May 3, 2008 01:45 am at 1:45 am |
  18. lugina

HILLARY 08...OBAMA TO FAKE..period

May 3, 2008 01:46 am at 1:46 am |
  19. jennifer

I am so proud of hillary and her resolve to withstand all of the hate thrown at her by some people who have given their opinions. I find that most people who profess to hate hillary are the people easily influenced by others and the media and that is asked why they hate herm, they don't really know, but I know that if the DNC decides to send obama in as their nominee knowing that he cannot possibly win the election, then I say that we democrats deserve to lose and we will because in truth, obama has many other major flaws that we have not seen exposed and by the time we do see them laid out by the republicans, it will be too late to go and find hillary to save us all.

May 3, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  20. Bob from Pensylvannia

Too bad Hillary. Soon you will regret to have stayed in this contest for this long and caused so much pain for Americans. Your Political career is definitely doomed if you continue this senseless struggle to the bitter end. MARK my Word.

May 3, 2008 01:52 am at 1:52 am |
  21. Canadian Neighbour

Obama is truly a good man with a very calm spirit. A spirit that demonstrates the true possibility of 'ordinary people being able to do extra-ordinary things' in difficult times. And this is truly a very 'POWERFUL' and POSITIVE' outlook on life !

May 3, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  22. CA Chris

Oh yeah, if anyone is in touch with the American people, it's Liz. Now, if all of those equally down-to-earth stars that were at the Peter Paul benefit–you know, the ones who will also be subpoenaed along with Rendell, Wolfe, Ickes, both Clintons, et als–that will doom Hillary's presidency, then the farce will be complete.

May 3, 2008 02:00 am at 2:00 am |
  23. Chris

Hope Vs Fear

Hope Factor => Obama => Kennedy
    Fear Factor => Hillary => Bush Jr.

Exactly... How do you choose your church? How do you choose your president?

May 3, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  24. FrankSmith

I like to endorse any candidate who can claim that he/she has been
    UNDER SNIPER FIRE! You will have my vote; just say, "I have been under sniper fire."

May 3, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  25. Debi (Orange County,Calif)

We need to quit rewarding the bad behavior of the politics of old. Hillary Clinton does not deserve the nomination, let alone the presidency. How discouraging her type of behavior is to all the honest and decent people who may want to enter politics in the future. No wonder we have so many liars and corrupt people running the government. Those with integrity need not apply.

May 3, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |