May 2nd, 2008

Clinton praises undecided Edwardses

RALEIGH, North Carolina (CNN) – As rumors abound about who they plan do endorse, Hillary Clinton thanked former rival John Edwards and wife Elizabeth for their work on poverty and health care at North Carolina’s Friday night Jefferson-Jackson dinner, just four days before the state’s primary.

“Let me say what a great fighter North Carolina and working Americans everywhere have in John Edwards. John ran with compassion and conviction and his courageous fight to end poverty is a fight I will see to the finish,” said Clinton, adding that she would create a cabinet-level position to focus solely on poverty.

“And I want to thank Elizabeth Edwards for her passion for ending discrimination by the insurance companies and for standing up against John McCain’s inadequate and radical health care plan,” Clinton continued. “Elizabeth Edwards is a true champion for universal health care.”

Elizabeth Edwards said she would be “surprised” if she or her husband – a former North Carolina senator – endorsed a candidate before the primary, but left the door open. Many think Mrs. Edwards leans towards Clinton because she has said that she favors Clinton’s health care plan over Obama’s.

With polls showing Democrats increasingly worried that the Party has gotten too divided, Clinton began her remarks with a unifying tone.

“The stakes are too high for us not to pull together as one team. I will tell you this, if Sen. Obama is the nominee, you better believe I’ll work my heart out for him. And if I’m the nominee, I know Sen. Obama will do the same for me.”

That didn’t stop her from taking a jab at John McCain though, saying, “He looks at the hole that George Bush has dug us into and says ‘give me a bigger shovel.'”

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Republican for Obama

I love how the Clinton supporters always try to highlight Obama's supposed negatives when 60% of Americans polled say Clinton is dishonest and can't be trusted. I mean come on, what ever happened to the notion integrity and honesty meant something?

May 3, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  2. Kathy

Elizabeth and John Edwards are true humanitarians and I sincerely hope that they endorse Clinton, and do it this weekend. We need all three and I know that Hillary will look to them for help.
    We need the universal health care, and minimum wage increase and an end to the mortgage crisis and a way toward a balanced budget and a better economy.
    Hillary Clinton can win and will win in November as we need her.
    Keep turning the tide Hillary and close the deal.

May 3, 2008 02:12 am at 2:12 am |
  3. Evelyn from Pembroke Pines, Florida

I am not saying that I support one or the other. I just want to say how quickly Obamas supporters jump on Clinton for every little word she says.

Hey i agree with Elizabeth Edwards and Clinton's health plans. Don't know why that is a bad thing to you Obama supporters. I think we should have a universal health plan. I have been without insurance many times and I have paid over $20,000.00 in medical bills over the years while immates that committed murder had medical attention. Yeah something is terrible wrong with the health care in this country! I had to endure the medical bills when my employer decided hey we are no longer paying your insurance and you lose it now. To have continued my insurance it cost more than my mortgage.

May 3, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  4. Peter

Go Hillary go...need any more gas?
    Need any matches?
    Borrow my lighter!

Hillary Clinton...."Democrat Arsonist"
    (disaster coming soon to a theatre near you)

May 3, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  5. North Carolina wants change:

Hillary Clinton is a vote monger. She will kick you blue collar voter to the curb, once she gets want she wants. She wants to control the lobbyist pool of sharks for her and Bill benefit. You'll be in small town America and she'll be in Washington live it up on your vote making millions. Wake up and change Washington. VOTE OBAMA!

May 3, 2008 02:15 am at 2:15 am |
  6. Member of Obama's Coalition

If the Clintons steal this Democratic Primary Election from Obama by overturning the will of the pledged delegates, I hope that Obama leaves the Democratic Party and forms a new party. I think that he would be able to carry his "coalition for change" over to a new progressive party.

Obama Coalition for Change '08

May 3, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  7. Rich

Wow, can she pander like no body else. I don't think I could take four years of her in the white house. I know Bush is horrible because he is stupid, I would hate to see hat a mean, cold and uncaring but smart person would do.

May 3, 2008 02:20 am at 2:20 am |
  8. Gas Holiday

If the gas holiday goes through 300,000 jobs in the construction industry will be lost. I'd rather pay the $27 this summer to keep food on Americans tables.

May 3, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  9. Patricia

ah debbie...I hate to break it to you-but Bill and Hilary knew and invited Rev. Wright to the white house back in 98'- the day the Monica L. scandal broke out as a matter of fact. Bill was seeking his counsel. You see the clintons can throw dirt on someone else, but never on themselves. Deny and Lie is all they learn in politics. Check the "internet." But you see Obama knew about this and so did a lot of political figures...it is a chess game, and Obama chose not to play it. He rose above it and he is still going to win fair and square. Check out Clinton's secret- Peter Paul vs. Hilary C. part 1 and 2 on U-tube. Then ask if you could ever vote for her.

Obama 08' truth be told

May 3, 2008 02:22 am at 2:22 am |
  10. Dave

Wow, it seemes since dell extends credit to welfare dead beats (obamadites), all you do is sit home and post negative things about Hillary. Obama go home and take your brainless cult with you!!!!!!!!!!

May 3, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  11. Glenn

If the Edwards endorse Hillary now after all she said about John during his run, plus the obvious sucking up on the part of Hillary, they will always be remembered as losers. John and Elizabeth show some backbone and dignity!

May 3, 2008 02:23 am at 2:23 am |
  12. African for Hillary

She is rising , your wishes coming true Dr Maya , thanks alot..

May 3, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  13. Suziku

I was hoping that John Edwards would endorse Obama however rather than endorse Hillary, the ultimate lying hypocrite, I would rather he endorse no one. He has been a huge disappointment (edwards) to us and we supported him twice. It seems that his ego has gotten in the way of guts and common sense.

May 3, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  14. African for Hillary

She is rising .. And lifting us all up with her .. Hillary all the way..

May 3, 2008 02:25 am at 2:25 am |
  15. Coretta

My blog regarding the news channels was not published. It goes to show how influential the news broadcasters are in this election .

May 3, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  16. Neutral

Kevin May 3rd, 2008 12:39 am ET

Hillary is such a pandering clown.

Except her nose isn't red, it's brown.

========

That is NOT pandering, Elizabeth Edwards praised the Universal Healthcare Plan of Hillary, in fact Edwards and Hillary has the same healthcare plan. Before John Edwards dropped out of primary, during their debate, he questioned Obama about his healthcare plan. As usual Obama stuttered like a child caught wetting his pants.

May 3, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  17. miles

Yeah that's why she couldn't get universal healthcare done during her husbands administration with closed door meetings.

May 3, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  18. A. W. Wolf

Republican for Obama.......your title says it all – he has the wealthy and well educated in his pocket and you can't read the polls! Typical.

Obama was dishonest about Wright and he cannot be trusted....isn't he just dissin' the Reverend for political reasons? The Reverend says so!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get real – Obama is a politician and not a good one at that – integrity and honesty went under the bus – right along with Reverend Wright!

May 3, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  19. Ron

People are seeing right through Obama, he used the race card, then he used negative ads and blamed it on Clinton, then he used his money and lost.

Tried Religion and it back fired!!!!! No hope, no change. Just a speach taken from Rev Wrights book.

May 3, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  20. Patricia

Boy- aren't we getting desperate if we are tying to steal John Edwards’s people. “I’ll finish what John and Elizabeth started-just vote for me and it will be done.” She has no respect for herself…she is like a political tool out on the street. The end is near and she and Bubba can’t see the light. Bow out gracefully and respect is returned.

obama 08'

May 3, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  21. TIMMY

CLINTON IS JUST THE BEST FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE

May 3, 2008 02:40 am at 2:40 am |
  22. lynn

If Obama is so special:

Why won't Obama Debate
    Why did he sit on that racist bench for 20 years
    Why did he make the negative comments in SF, why did his wife
    make the negative comments about America

Why the Ayers friendship
    Where is the white granny, that helped raise him
    why so long to denounce "uncle Wright"

VOTE HILLARY

We do not know Obama...what we do know now will not beat McCain

EDWARDS.........endorse HILLARY.......she really cares about all people.....see ad with M. Angelo.......(Oprah's mentor ....although
    Oprah....has made another mistake)

Everyone VOTE HILLARY

SERIOUS PROBLEMS FOR A SERIOUS CANDIDATE......this is
    not a rehearsal

May 3, 2008 02:41 am at 2:41 am |
  23. Mike G

She wins--the Panderer of the Year award- and Hypocrite of the Decade award.
    I spoke with my best friend this evening. We've been friends since nixon–we both vigorously supported the Clintons in the 90's- and we have both become "Clinton Haters" this year..Neither of us thought it possible.
    Sad day.

May 3, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  24. A GEORGIA MAMA THAT LOVES OBAMA!!!!

The Edwards. should not endorse anyone. If you dropped out of the race just leave it alone and stop dividing our Party. Clinton's ship has sunk after she's tried every Dirty Trick in the book!

Forget it Clintons! You're days of corruption and lies are over! Time for a new era!

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT! 2008

May 3, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  25. Randell

I love how Republicans in Democrat's clothing, as well as people who are secretly BIGOTS support Hillary just so that they can undermine Obama's campaign.
    The second she gets the nomination these same people would immediately start campaigning for McCain.

And how is she qualified exactly?

I am a Finance Director, and my wife is a Pediatrician. I tell my wife about my day when I come home from work, and she tells me about hers.
    Is she then qualified to meet with banks and aquire financing for clients simply because she is married to me?
    And can I diagnose or operate on a child just because my wife can?

WAKE UP AMERICA!