May 2nd, 2008

Elizabeth Taylor urges primary voters to back Clinton

The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.
The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.

(CNN) - Actress Elizabeth Taylor urged voters in next week’s Democratic primaries to back Hillary Clinton's White House run, saying in a statement released Friday that the New York senator was “not a flibbertijibbet.”

“It would be magnificent for our country if Senator Clinton won the votes, hearts and minds of the people in Indiana and North Carolina on Tuesday. She’s a brilliant teacher and powerful leader. We all know what she’s about. We know what she isn’t. Senator Clinton is not a flibbertijibbet [sic]. She’s strong,” said Taylor.

“It’s also important for great leaders to have a sense of humor about themselves. The future of our great country rests in the hands of the next president. Who sits in the Oval Office will be determined greatly by the citizens of Indiana and North Carolina. In my heart, I know they will choose wisely and they will choose well.”

The actress and activist is a longtime Clinton supporter who has donated the legal maximum of $4,600 to the senator’s campaign.

In January 2007, Taylor also pointed to Clinton’s toughness as the reason she was contributing to her presidential bid. "I have contributed to Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign because she has a mind of her own and a very strong one at that," Taylor she said in a statement then. "I like the way she thinks. She is very savvy and a smart leader with years of experience in government, diplomacy and politics."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Janice

Wake up people. Visit paul vs. clinton – amazing reading.

May 2, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  2. Precious

I agree wholeheartedly. It is Senator Clinton's strength and determination that allows Americans to get to know Barack Obama,a little more. Time is everything and the most valuable!

Give Hillary a chance, she deserves it just as much as Obama. They both deserve the next 8-16 years. (Historically)!

May 2, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. Ifeanyi Azubike Houston Texas

Did you say Elizabeth Flibbertijibbet? I cannot make up my mind on the advise of any person who never got to making up their own minds.

May 2, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  4. Deborah

Calling all dumb old and confused people to vote for

Hillary Rotten Clinton

May 2, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  5. DB

Post-menopausal has been supporting Clinton. Go figure.

May 2, 2008 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  6. Its True

What about Michael Jackson and Bubbles? Do they agree with you Liz?

May 2, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  7. Helene

Frankly who cares ? Who asks you ? Being an actress qualifies you to talk politics ? Clooney support Obama but has the intelligence of keeping it to himself. You should do likewise.

May 2, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  8. Bri

Who cares???

May 2, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  9. Liz SC

Liz with all due respect I hope you don't think we will buy what you are selling. Hillary is a fake and so are you. Poor excuse for a women that is no better than Bill Clinton with all you husbands.

May 2, 2008 07:16 pm at 7:16 pm |
  10. Tony

Are we now seeing who the real elitist is?

May 2, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  11. Mary Can.

I like you Elizabeth, but I think you missed something. Do you ever watch Obama... Because if you had that chance you will vote for him.. No offense I still like you

May 2, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  12. missy m

I'm so glad she's supporting Hillary, but I had to look up the word "flibbertijibbet.”

May 2, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  13. TheBenEstes5000

And there you have it...

Crazy People support Hillary Clinton.

"And the winner of the '08 Presidential Election.....GLADIATOR!"

May 2, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  14. Theresa

I agree with Ms Taylor...if Mrs. Clinton doesn't get the Nomination....she should run as an independent

May 2, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  15. NLS

Wow! Super! You go girl! I'm going to vote for HRC!

(Not.)

May 2, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  16. bessie

I totally agree with Taylor. We've known Hillary since she's in the public eye for many years and there will be no surprised. Hillary is intelligent, strong and she is a fighter and will fight for us. Hillary is the one with solutions and can help fix our economy, our country. Even Elizabeth Edwards has recently endorsed Hillary's Universal Healthcare Plan. Voters in Indiana and North Carolina, vote for Hillary!

May 2, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  17. Vanessa

Either she's misusing the word flibbertigibbet or she's endorsing the wrong candidate. For all the seniors out there that find Elizabeth Taylor still relevant, a flibbertigibbet is basically a chatty gossip. The only candidate spreading gossip in this election is Hillary Clinton (a.k.a Tracy Flick).

May 2, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  18. Derek in Seattle

She looks like she died and no one told her.

Thanks for your two cents, Liz! Time to lie down now.

May 2, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  19. Ron L

TWO COMMENTS...

SO WHAT!!!

WHO CARES???

May 2, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  20. TC

So basically she is saying Clinton is not an over talkative Dissociative Identity Disordered demon.

Yeah..ok...whatever you say Liz. I beg to differ.

If Senator Obama does not get the nomination ... we will all be in deep cow patties.

May 2, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  21. Sick and Tired

Sorry Lizzie, I adore you but like so many of our octogenarians, your totally wrong on this one. Time to listen to our young better educated voters. Sense of humor is nice but the WH needs integrity, character, honor and we can't get any of these with your candidate. This is a fact, don't make me list all of her lies here and now theres the Peter Paul scandal being placed on hold until AFTER the nomination? I don't know...she can't be trusted. Think again Lizzie and join the majority who want real change in Washington. We want and support Barack Obama for 8/12 and we've got room for ya!

May 2, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  22. dgTN

Eliz, you are right. She is smart but crooked

May 2, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  23. Jonathan Grieder

Well if Liz Taylor says so I'm changing my vote from Senator Obama to Senator Clinton. Why does CNN think anyone cares about what Ms. Taylor has to say about this election. Great she has an opinion, but since she's not a super and her state has already gone too bad so sad she doens't matter.

May 2, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  24. Laura

In 2001 President Clinton awarded Elizabeth Taylor with the Presidential Citizen's medal, but I'm sure that had nothing to do with Liz's support of Hillary. Nah...

Yeah, right.

May 2, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  25. Chris in Va.

Flibbertijibbet? I guess in the land of booze and prescription drugs this means something?

Also to CNN, This is newsworthy? And Paul vs. Clinton or Hillary's "screw 'em" comments are not? SAD.

May 2, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |