May 2nd, 2008

Elizabeth Taylor urges primary voters to back Clinton

The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.
The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.

(CNN) - Actress Elizabeth Taylor urged voters in next week’s Democratic primaries to back Hillary Clinton's White House run, saying in a statement released Friday that the New York senator was “not a flibbertijibbet.”

“It would be magnificent for our country if Senator Clinton won the votes, hearts and minds of the people in Indiana and North Carolina on Tuesday. She’s a brilliant teacher and powerful leader. We all know what she’s about. We know what she isn’t. Senator Clinton is not a flibbertijibbet [sic]. She’s strong,” said Taylor.

“It’s also important for great leaders to have a sense of humor about themselves. The future of our great country rests in the hands of the next president. Who sits in the Oval Office will be determined greatly by the citizens of Indiana and North Carolina. In my heart, I know they will choose wisely and they will choose well.”

The actress and activist is a longtime Clinton supporter who has donated the legal maximum of $4,600 to the senator’s campaign.

In January 2007, Taylor also pointed to Clinton’s toughness as the reason she was contributing to her presidential bid. "I have contributed to Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign because she has a mind of her own and a very strong one at that," Taylor she said in a statement then. "I like the way she thinks. She is very savvy and a smart leader with years of experience in government, diplomacy and politics."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Robert Corya

Ms. Taylor and I are almost the same age, and I've loved her for decades, even carrying a Life Magazine cover pix of her during my active duty Navy days. in the early '50s. But she knows all this.–RC

May 2, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  2. sand

That wonderful...Thank you !! Elizabeth Taylor is loved and respected..thank you for your support. GO HILLARY

May 2, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  3. lol

thank you elizabeth, you are so right about hillary!

May 2, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  4. Paul

Who cares what Liz says anyway. Holleywood is dead and it should be with the literal crap they put out nowadays.

May 2, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  5. Anonymous

I live in North Carolina and have received 2 phone calls urging me to vote for Hillary Clinton. Is this legal?

May 2, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  6. Jenny

Sorry Liz, you may know perfume, acting and diamonds, but you never picked the correct husband, who thinks she can pick the correct candidate????

May 2, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  7. Esoxslayer

She is also Michael Jackson's closest friend. Go figure.

May 2, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  8. Tammy

And we would take her advice why? How many times has she been married? Yep, that's someone I'd listen to.. NOT!!!

May 2, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  9. hsl

I like Elizabeth Taylor's insight!

Go Senator Clinton!

May 2, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  10. Del

Elizabeth Taylor! If you like the way Clinton thinks, then you probably are the only one left in the U.S who does not see Clinton's poor judgments from when she voted for the Iraq war.

May 2, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  11. joaquin

Oh come on CNN. Is this a newsworthy endorsement? The woman is just a campaign contributor. So what. Is she a super delegate?
    This is the same Elizabeth Taylor that was married to Republican Senator John Warner. I have thought for awhile now that Hillary is acting more and more like a Republican in her campaign tactics. I forget she was ever a Democrat. This reinforces my sense of Clinton as Republican. Why doesn't she just change parties. Then her continuous Obama bashing would make sense.

May 2, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  12. Del

Hmmm...and WHY is her opinion on the candidates news worthy? OH I get it, she appeals to a certain segment of the population who need to be told who to vote for.

May 2, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  13. RufusVonDufus

Who seriously cares what an old shriveled up former actress who got ahead by doing who knows what for producers and directors thinks. An old has been, just like Hillary. Too funny!

May 2, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  14. Mike in Houston

An endorsement from nobody.

May 2, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  15. WhatHasCNNBecome?

Elizabeth Taylor, really? If I want the news I'll turn to the daily show, at least they admit how ridiculous the news is. CNN you have seriously disappointed me in the past few weeks, your reporting is manipulative and self-serving. Please reaffirm your values and report the news not flibbertyjibbet!

May 2, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  16. Rick

Who cares what Liz Taylor, or any of the out of touch hollywood socialites thinks? Liz should go back to helping Michael Jackson. That is more up her alley, as they are both in show business...

May 2, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  17. Bobby tray

and we should care about her comments why?

May 2, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  18. Jessica, GA

Ok

Clinton/McCain 08....The real dream team! :(

May 2, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  19. sing a song

celeb endorsements mean nothing, but I respect Ms Taylors long standing of supporting Aids research and victims.

Still I love hillary and anyone who supports her...

May 2, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  20. edmond

oh,please another senior citizen for hillary

May 2, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  21. close hi lies piehole

She is off lists of respect from this day forward........what a looser .

May 2, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. Dave

Elizabeth Taylor's political pick? You're kidding, right?

May 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  23. toki

who cares?

May 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  24. NC Dem

Liz is confused just like the candidate she's backing!!!

Obama 08

May 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  25. lookyhere

Wow, this is a real winner for Hillary. She should really feel good about her chances now. Flibberjibbett??? Uh...yeah....

May 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |