May 2nd, 2008

Elizabeth Taylor urges primary voters to back Clinton

The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.
The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.

(CNN) - Actress Elizabeth Taylor urged voters in next week’s Democratic primaries to back Hillary Clinton's White House run, saying in a statement released Friday that the New York senator was “not a flibbertijibbet.”

“It would be magnificent for our country if Senator Clinton won the votes, hearts and minds of the people in Indiana and North Carolina on Tuesday. She’s a brilliant teacher and powerful leader. We all know what she’s about. We know what she isn’t. Senator Clinton is not a flibbertijibbet [sic]. She’s strong,” said Taylor.

“It’s also important for great leaders to have a sense of humor about themselves. The future of our great country rests in the hands of the next president. Who sits in the Oval Office will be determined greatly by the citizens of Indiana and North Carolina. In my heart, I know they will choose wisely and they will choose well.”

The actress and activist is a longtime Clinton supporter who has donated the legal maximum of $4,600 to the senator’s campaign.

In January 2007, Taylor also pointed to Clinton’s toughness as the reason she was contributing to her presidential bid. "I have contributed to Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign because she has a mind of her own and a very strong one at that," Taylor she said in a statement then. "I like the way she thinks. She is very savvy and a smart leader with years of experience in government, diplomacy and politics."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Slowpoke

I don't care.

May 2, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  2. OregonVoter

and this is news because...uhm.....

May 2, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  3. female grad student, NYC

I second that notion.

go Hillary!!!!

May 2, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  4. Victor in NC

Hillary has problems that will cause her to take focus off the coutry.. Hint (Jail) Peter Paul Case is a big issue.

Hillary is a lier
    Hillary is said, God Bless the Rich..
    So no wonder she has Eliz Taylor backing her.. She is rich too..
    So naturally she would want Hillary to win..

Poor people like me need a president to help us, not drain our wallets to cover the taxes for the Rich.

Down with Hillary

May 2, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. NO OBAMA EVER!

Get ready for the Obama morons to flood this with irrelevant comments and lies. Guess what Obama? You are your supporters and today they spread around a doctored video for you – how disgusting. If you win, I can't wait to abandon the Democratic party and vote McCain – I will EVEN CONTRIBUTE TO HIS CAMPAIGN JUST TO SEE YOU LOSE. AND I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

May 2, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. Fran Martin

In certain circles, Clinton may not be a flibbertijibbet, but on no account can she be considered a hortonwillersnit. I hardly see how we can back someone who actually lacks definition.

May 2, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  7. David D Kollie

Being a president is not an actress' job. Hillary is a good actress but not for the presidency. She lied three time about Bosnia and said she misspoke. Actors and actresses misspeak and inpersonate. Hillary should not be misspeaking when men and women of the United States military are putting their lives on the line each day abroad.

May 2, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. Elizabeth

I agree with you Lize I see things the same way you do. Hillary is our only hope. Please North Carolina and Indiana vote for her. I dont think you will be sorry

May 2, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  9. aware

Right Elizabeth!

Hillary Clinton the smart choice 2008 and 2012! :)

Obama, the freshman senator, is too inept, too dishonest, too elitist and lacks judgment/credibility. He keeps some very questionable company and says some very questionable things behind closed doors. He is extremely slow to respond – 20 years? Also, for a campaign with a mantra of unity, his bloggers/supporters are just plain mean! :(

The far left media doesn't get to decide for America on their far left choice!

America is centrist and will vote accordingly in the General Election!

May 2, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  10. Calif Dreamin'

All these celebrities who are waking up from their political comas need to be quiet. No one cares. Their choices hold as much creedance as The Man On The Moon. And I'm insulted that they think we can't think for ourselves and that somehow we need their help. Give me a break.

May 2, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  11. granforchange

Exuse me??? Please stick to what you do best in doing Your Life's works to Aids.. Hillary has set the Women;s Movement a hundred years.. She is NOT a good role Model for My girls, or my grandaughters..I am sure we will see a woman elected President down the Road, BUT she is NOT the One !!!! We need change, and Hope and Unity in this Country, and Hillary is NOT going to be doing that.... OBAMA will Will win the Nomination ,and Once again , Please stay OUT of this Election... Obama 08

May 2, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  12. Jenny, TX

What a thoughful lady!

Hillary '08

May 2, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  13. Gane, Canada

Boy, we have not have something sensible about Hillary Clinton for a long, long time.
    Everybody had been obsessed with that Primadona Obama until finally we've understood that the gay is full of ....

Hillary must make History!

Mrs. Taylor , I admire you!

May 2, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  14. John Driscoll

This is the same chick that thinks Michael Jackson is such a great guy!

May 2, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  15. Kim

Okay Then! Now Hillary is supported by the very old who think a Black man has to use the back door to enter the White House. The uneducated and ignorant who also think the same . And now Crazy old Hollywood has beens. A coalition is forming. Now gather in the Hitler Youth. Add the right wing nut jobs who are impressed by Hillary's Nuke Iran threat. And any other Racists that just cannot sleep at night thinking that a fine, honest,intelligent Man might become President. Now we have the NEW DEMOCRATS and their standard bearer Hillary (Bush lite ) Clinton.

May 2, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  16. H Martin

And this is news why?

May 2, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  17. Educated Voter = Not Hillary

This is good news for Hillary, but I'm still waiting on the highly-coveted Sinbad endorsement. That will really put me over the top to vote for her...

May 2, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  18. Janet in KC

Hillary had her chance to make a difference and she failed.
    Its time to bring on the politic of Obama.

I will not vote for Hillary.. No matter what happens.
    I will not vote for McCain.. No matter what happens
    I will vote for Obama, because he is going to bring a change.
    I believe in what he has to offer..
    I don't want no quick fix on the gas prices.
    I want some changes on the gas prices.

May 2, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  19. mark

After seeing Mrs Clinton's interview with Bill Oreily I have to say it was the strongest I have heard her sound yet. Mrs Taylors endorsement is welcome I'm sure but more interviews on Fox news will do her much more good. Eat that cnn !!!!!!! so much for the fox news boycott, there ratings sky rocketed for the last two nights,,,,,, I wonder who or what party was watching ??????????

May 2, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  20. Yves larochelle

and I am urging people to vote Obama, because Clinton is a member of the same old clan. Hillary is a Republican!

May 2, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  21. Shel, SLC UT

Great. One loon endorsing another.

May 2, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  22. Jean

Taylor wants some of Slick Willy

May 2, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  23. Allen

Well gawrsh, I was gonna vote for ol' Obama, but since Liz Taylor says I should vote for Hillary, I reckon I'll do that instead.

If your vote is swayed by a celebrity, you should lose your right to vote.

May 2, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  24. North of the border

ELIZABETH WHO? JUST YOUR AVERAGE LITTLE OLD LADY, IN TOUCH WITH THE PLIGHT OF THE AMERICAN PUBLIC. MRS. TAYLOR , WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, IS PART OF THE ELITE CLUB, THAT THE CLINTONS AND MACAINS BELONG TO. SHE WANTS TO TELL THE GOOD HARD WORKING PEOPLE OF INDIANA AND NORTH CAROLINA WHAT'S GOOD FOR THEM?

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  25. King of NJ

I wonder who Wako Jacko is endorsing... since were asking??!?

LMAO OOOOOOOBAMA 0000008!