May 2nd, 2008

Elizabeth Taylor urges primary voters to back Clinton

The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.
The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.

(CNN) - Actress Elizabeth Taylor urged voters in next week’s Democratic primaries to back Hillary Clinton's White House run, saying in a statement released Friday that the New York senator was “not a flibbertijibbet.”

“It would be magnificent for our country if Senator Clinton won the votes, hearts and minds of the people in Indiana and North Carolina on Tuesday. She’s a brilliant teacher and powerful leader. We all know what she’s about. We know what she isn’t. Senator Clinton is not a flibbertijibbet [sic]. She’s strong,” said Taylor.

“It’s also important for great leaders to have a sense of humor about themselves. The future of our great country rests in the hands of the next president. Who sits in the Oval Office will be determined greatly by the citizens of Indiana and North Carolina. In my heart, I know they will choose wisely and they will choose well.”

The actress and activist is a longtime Clinton supporter who has donated the legal maximum of $4,600 to the senator’s campaign.

In January 2007, Taylor also pointed to Clinton’s toughness as the reason she was contributing to her presidential bid. "I have contributed to Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign because she has a mind of her own and a very strong one at that," Taylor she said in a statement then. "I like the way she thinks. She is very savvy and a smart leader with years of experience in government, diplomacy and politics."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Greg

Thanks, Liz. Time for your lithium and scotch…go back to bed.

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  2. AZM

Don't get me wrong... I'm in no way an Obama supporter... but I don't see where this helps Clinton at all... ha ha... Thanks anyway Liz...

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  3. MICHELE J

Oh great! Just what HRC needs, another senior citizen speaking for her! Ms Taylor, like HRC, will not remember what she said tomorrow!

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  4. Colette, NY

Liz Taylor is so irrelavant. I didn't realize she was still alive. I guess she doesn't have a new boyfriend or husband yet. I want to know if Hillary was under sniper fire in Guam?

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  5. clintondestroyer

Please take your senile opinions and return to the cave from where you have emerged you old hussy!! no one cares what you think!!

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  6. David Kolva, MD

Right! Another fossil for Clinton. Way to go Hillary, you have the ancient order of has-beens vote all to own!

Wonder if Liz Taylor knows how to pump gas?

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. Paul

Didn't she have Michael Jackson as the best "man" at her wedding....not really dazzling me with you judgement there Liz!

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. Not sleeping at the switch

75% of the people taking part in this election don't remember who she is.

May 2, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. ObamaMama

And who is Elizabeth Taylor, and why should I listen to her?

May 2, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  10. 4Hillary

You have made a "wise" choice!

Thank you Mrs. Elizabeth Taylor!!!!!!!!!!!

Hillary, will HEAL our Economy!!

Hillary, is READY on DAY ONE!!!

May 2, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  11. Tim from Eugene OR.

Not surprised to hear the ancient supporting the old. I always wondered what the people who experienced the past turn of the centurys felt like. I thought this would be an exciting time full of hope and wonder. But we were robbed of that as we all were saturated with fear and scare tactics, day after day. Most of it designed to keep us frozen and afraid as the wealthy stole all the wealth. I am voting for Obama because he dosn't seem to be of the old guard, old politics. We are already about ten percent into this new century and I am sick of the old ways. I am ready for the future.
    OBAMA 08

May 2, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  12. islandgirl

OMG!!! clnton gets another old fart on her side. WHOOPI!!!! old farts, and uneducated people are her voters. that's why we need to vote for obama. the educated gets it, and we need to educated those who are uneducated and maybe they will finally see the light. you can't teach old farts new tricks!!!

May 2, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  13. raf

Birds of a feather flock together...

May 2, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  14. Hawaii Dems

What color is the sky in your world Lizzie?

May 2, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  15. DEMOCRAT FOR AMERICA

Right On !!!!

Hillary Is The Best Canidate For President !!!!!

May 2, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  16. Jen in PA

You know sometimes there's just not much to say after people make statements. This is one of those times.

May 2, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  17. L MIAMI FLORIDA

ELIZABETH CAN TELL ABOUT A GIRLY MAN LIKE === " BACRACK "

OBAMA WHEN SHE SEES ONE !

GO ELIZABETH !

GO HILLARY !

HEY , DEAN COUNT OUR FLORIDA VOTES PRONTO !

May 2, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  18. Frank, San Diego

I don't care much who Elizabeth Taylor supports. But I certainly hope that CNN will refrain from posting comments that don't have anything to do with this article.

In particular, please don't continue to promote the right-wing effort to gin up this Peter Paul nuisance lawsuit.

May 2, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  19. Indiana

Bravo Elizabeth!!! We will give you your wish!!! Hillary President!!!

May 2, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  20. kayla

your ship has come and gone liz!

May 2, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  21. Tim

That's about as valuable an endorsment as her buddy Michael Jackson's. She's plum loony.

May 2, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  22. Bill-S

More from the same old sad establishment. Very much out of touch and from a different time. We need new leadership who has a vision for the future and is not tied in with the old corrupt oligarchs of the past. Hillary is not for the future, she is part of the problem.

May 2, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  23. Ben

Please PLEASE CNN.do not print my previous comment! I thought Taylor was backing Obama. This makes me feel like a fool! Maybe I am

May 2, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  24. Interested Reader

Oh dear heavens – this woman is crazy!!

May 2, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  25. Alexis

Look who's asking for the people to vote for Clinton..... Does she even know what she's talking about????

Obama 08