May 2nd, 2008

Elizabeth Taylor urges primary voters to back Clinton

The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.
The actress and activist officially endorsed Clinton Friday.

(CNN) - Actress Elizabeth Taylor urged voters in next week’s Democratic primaries to back Hillary Clinton's White House run, saying in a statement released Friday that the New York senator was “not a flibbertijibbet.”

“It would be magnificent for our country if Senator Clinton won the votes, hearts and minds of the people in Indiana and North Carolina on Tuesday. She’s a brilliant teacher and powerful leader. We all know what she’s about. We know what she isn’t. Senator Clinton is not a flibbertijibbet [sic]. She’s strong,” said Taylor.

“It’s also important for great leaders to have a sense of humor about themselves. The future of our great country rests in the hands of the next president. Who sits in the Oval Office will be determined greatly by the citizens of Indiana and North Carolina. In my heart, I know they will choose wisely and they will choose well.”

The actress and activist is a longtime Clinton supporter who has donated the legal maximum of $4,600 to the senator’s campaign.

In January 2007, Taylor also pointed to Clinton’s toughness as the reason she was contributing to her presidential bid. "I have contributed to Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign because she has a mind of her own and a very strong one at that," Taylor she said in a statement then. "I like the way she thinks. She is very savvy and a smart leader with years of experience in government, diplomacy and politics."

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Rich in Seattle

Crazy knows crazy. Maybe she is trying to lobby for Michael Jackson to be VP?

May 2, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  2. jafapete

From the OED (in case anyone's wondering):
    flibbertigibbet, n.
    1. A chattering or gossiping person; a flighty or frivolous woman.

May 2, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  3. reality check

woo hoo come on Indiana and NC bring her home

May 2, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  4. Craig

I don't think I can take anyone who uses the word "flibbertijibet" seriously.

Obama 08

May 2, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. TX - Black Man

LIZ.....WHY WON'T YOU URGE THAT THEY VOTE FOR JACK AND DANIELS OR PRO AND ZAC

YOU CAN GO BACK TO YOU DRUNKEN STATE OF MIND MS. TAYLOR – – – WE WILL WAKE YOU WHEN THE ELECTIONS ARE OVER....

May 2, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. Mark Anthony

Elizabeth Taylor, great actress and I repeat actress. If you listen to any actor/actress on politics then you need to reevaluate where you get your news from.

I decide who I vote for, from listening to the issues not Wright, not Bill C., Not Bruce S., not 50 cent, I make my decisions not some actor/actress.

PS. I know this won't get posted I've yet to see any of my comments and I comment EVERYDAY!!!!

May 2, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  7. Mandy, California

Voting for Hillary because she is a woman is a wasted vote. Elizabeth Dole was a better candidate but the public wasn't ready for a woman President back then.

Why not wait until a legitimate woman candidate comes along wihtout all the baggage and negative ratings and vote for her!

May 2, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  8. Jason Means

I'm desperately looking for the "is this actually news" or "who really cares" button in the corner of my screen. Who in the world honestly cares about what Elizabeth Taylor thinks or who she endorses for president – much less if she thinks they're a "flibbertiwhatever". Give me a break. Come on CNN – help me out here – let's at least get something that resembles actual news.

May 2, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  9. Sounds like Bush!

She's probably on her meds! I for sure will vote for HRC because this lady said too....give me a break. Bet she picks her candidate endorsements as well as she picks her husbands....

May 2, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. Bill Phelan San Francisco California

Thanks Liz! I always knew you where one of he smart ones in Hollywood. We all thank you for all your contributions also!

May 2, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  11. georgia

tsk,tsk tsk.
    With all due respect for your longevity as an actress the only thing Hillary should be in line for is an Oscar for the most dubious characterizations in the shortest period of time.
    God Bless you Miss Taylor

May 2, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  12. G

I KNEW IT before I even click on the story that she would back hillary lol

May 2, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  13. Daniel

This is not news, I do not care who she supports. Superdelegates need to make up their minds, not Liz Taylor...

May 2, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  14. Beautiful

Love Her!!

May 2, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  15. Anastasia Beaverhausen

Oh, Lord! Elizabeth Taylor? Come on! She hardly knows whether she's coming or going most of the time, so what difference does her endorsement make? In that crazy head of hers, she probably thinks Barack Obama is Hillary Clinton, and vice versa. A woman with her past can't commit to anything anyway, especially since she has married twenty different men over the years. She'll be rooting for Obama next week.

May 2, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. Jay Shah

this is simple one old hag supporting another. Liz taylor has no reason to saying about politics. She should get married for a 9th time instead!

May 2, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  17. Cameron

Way to go Liz; I am glad to see woman coming out for Senator Clinton. I've been trying to convince my women friends for 8 years that Hillary will be strong voice for women and ultimately for our country. Mrs. Edwards supports Hillary too. Go Hillary!

The path to our first woman President goes as follows: two wins on Tuesday will send the automatic (Super) delegates towards Hillary and when the DNC adds MI and FL as they have promised at the end of month the picture will become clear – Hillary is the most electable candidate for the Democratic Party. The icing on the cake, putting her ahead in the delegate count and the popular vote, will be when Hillary wins the winner-take-all primary with 63 delgates in Puerto Rico.

People do not give up the fight, because we have Hillary fighting for us.

May 2, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  18. Frank

RIGHT ON LIZ TAYLOR!!!! I always knew why I loved you ! GO HILLARY
    Another smart person thinking with their Brain. The time is so right for all Americans to support Sen.Clinton.

May 2, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  19. Job

Yes and Lizzy is Bossum Buddies with all of the Clintons radical Freinds. Like the several members of the Weather Underground Terorist Group that Bill Clinton pardoned after they were convicted of terrorist bombings and sentenced to long prison terms.

May 2, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  20. Bob, Lyons Oregon,

Well, I beg to differ with Elizabeth. Clinton is not a strong candidate, she does not tell the truth and panders to get votes. I will not be voting for her. She is a divider, and Obama is a uniter. With all her years of experience, I don't see that she has accomplished much of anything. She has not run a very smart or decent campaign. I will not vote for her. Vote for your children, Vote Obama. Its time to change things in Washington for your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, not old actresses out of touch with what america really needs.

May 2, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  21. Ilona Proud Canadian

Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the legal contribution was $2300. Is this per year???????

Google......Peter Paul vs Clinton.........Google........Peter Paul vs Clinton

May 2, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  22. Bob Flibbertijibbet

Well, quite frankly I'm offended...

May 2, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  23. mike

What next? the endorsement of Jerry Lewis? What relevance could Taylor possibly have in today's world? Duh – dumb beyond belief.

May 2, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  24. Hillary-who?

I always suspect that Liz is a no-brainer. This proves that I'm right.

May 2, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. Larry from LA

Gee an 80 year Mrs Taylor endorsing Hillay. Now what a shock that is. I beleive hillary gets 80% of the 80 and over crowd.

May 2, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |