May 4th, 2008

Polls: Race tightening in North Carolina

A new CNN 'Poll of Polls' shows Obama gaining in North Carolina.
A new CNN 'Poll of Polls' shows Obama gaining in North Carolina.

(CNN) - It appears the battle for the Democratic presidential nomination is tightening up in North Carolina.

A new CNN poll of polls released Sunday suggests Senator Barack Obama, D-Illinois, has the support of 50 percent of likely Democratic primary voters in North Carolina, with 42 percent backing Senator Hillary Clinton, D-New York, and 8 percent still undecided.

This eight point Obama margin is down from a nine point lead Obama held in Saturday’s CNN poll of polls and down from his recent double digit lead in the state.

187 delegates are up for grabs when North Carolina and Indiana hold primaries on Tuesday.
The CNN poll of polls is an average of the latest surveys in the state.

1. Jim B

8 percent is not down from 9 percent. There is no statistically significant difference between these two results and there is no statistically significant difference between 8 and 10. The proper headline should be "Data shows nothing that is statistically significant. This would never be published in a reputable journal. It is only in MSM do we see this trash reporting. It is misleading and serves no purpose then to make money from ad revenues.

May 4, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  2. frank

The problem with Democrats is that Obama can't win McCain, and Hillary is hard to overcome Obama, unless Obama steps down.

May 4, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. Go Hillary

Now that Obama- who was running an Honest Abe campaign- has revealed that he is just like every other politician- slicker even than most. Hillary Clinton should be able to easily regain her momentum.

Obama is just playing dirty poltics while pretending to do otherwise:

First he overplayed the race card for his own political gain in this primary.

Then he went negative and misleading on his attacks on Hillary.

Then he divided people by race, age, gender, demographics, income and education.

Then he lied about his close relationship and fondness for Wright and his own awareness of Wright's politics.

And finally, he sold out his own beliefs by disavowing his Rev. (Wright)

May 4, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  4. Sue

I remember 9/11 very well, and I haven't forget that the Muslim terroists who enacted the devistation on our country were trained to fly our airlines by our instructors, and apparently they had squeaky clean background in order to receive their pilots' license. Are we really willing to allow another person of Muslim decent, however slight, to have access to our country's most highly guarded military secrets? I think I'd consider that very carefully before I voted.

May 4, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. DC Insider

She'll lose by double digits and her camp will spin it like always.

May 4, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  6. jr.

Dear Americans: Our true God, our Universal Creator of all life as expose Pastor Wright and Mr. Obama for whom they are. Pastor Wright whom was exploying his followers and taken their money by teaching them hatred racism and anti American. He was using misfortunes of what happened to the people of the past and pasted history events and wars. About Mr. Obama it took him 20 years to find out what kind of pastor he had. Mr. Obama has a poor comprehension on judging a person .Security is the most important issue for a president of any country. If pastor Wright would had been President of any Country, it would had taken Mr. Obama , (5) Presidential terms to realizes Pastor Wright was not his allies A President must be able to judge another President to see if he is a true allies. This keeps our Country out of wars, knowing who our enemies are and keeping them on check. It is possible Pastor Wright and Mr. Obama is playing us as fools. Pastor Wright’s good acting maybe he is taken a fall for Mr. Obama. So Mr. Obama would have to reject Pastor Wright for his bad behaviors. Even some of his followers are saying he never acted like his doing now.

May 4, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  7. Jane

More republican style dirty tricks from the Clintons?
    How low will they go to gain more power?

What about that voter intimidation that Hill-supporters "Women Voting" are doing in N.C.

Do we really desreve 4 more years of this?

Jane in Greensboro

May 4, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  8. Changed my mind

I am Native American and I was undecided between Clinton and Obama since they are so similar on the issues.

I was trying to make an informed choice based on whose platform was superior and who would be better able to execute their policies.

Then I read these blogs. The Obama supporters are so filled with hate and uninformed rhetoric that twists the truth- that I decided on Clinton.

If Obama can inspire so much hatred, venom and vicious attacks in his supporters, he CAN NOT BE who he claims to be.

That makes him a liar and a phony- probably closer in beliefs to Wright- than he now pretends to be. That is political posturing.

May 4, 2008 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  9. MM

I don't know what's worse, pandering or not listening to the people who know what they are talking about. Do we want her has president? I don't agree with hire an under qualified man over a woman but the vice versa exist people. Obama is just as qualified as Hillary and more qualified then some of the more successful presidents.

May 4, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  10. Yumiko Guelcher

Let's judge candidates with their own actions and words, not with what someone else said. For that, I feel Clinton has more to be questioned than Obama: the lie about Bosnia, staying with unfaithful husbandwho costed a lot of our tax money for his impeachment, saying votes in some states are "more equal than others," picking what to be credited for among what her husband did, but ignoring other things (such as NAFTA) that is not convinient for her camparin, her negative sarcasm, and more!

May 4, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  11. Craig

I'm an Independent, Obama supporter and I support what Rangel says. The idea that Obama has the same beliefs as his former reverand is just ridiculous especially if you look at the things Obama has done and said over his career. I've sat through Catholic church for almost 20 years ( I'm 31 now and if anyone asks I'm a Cosmic Humanist) but never have taken on the rigid conservative views of the church.

I hope everyone who votes, especially this Tuesday, really understands that in this land of freedom, we all can say negative and stupid things which each individual speaking those words should be accountable, but we should not think that someone else should have to answer for someone elses beliefs or words.

Obama, to me, is a break from the past and a hope that this country, and subsequently the world, will begin to confront its fear to challenge the current dogmas of 'old' politics, religion, and science. To a future that embraces change, not for change's sake, but in the knowlegde that if we don't nothing will change.

Vote Barack Obama!!

May 4, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  12. Maddog

Not to worry...Obama will win NC by double digits...the early vote is high and very favorable to Obama.

I'm in Charlotte and he will rack up huge margins in across the state.

May 4, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  13. jj langdon

with cnn that clearly is biast obama does not stand a chance with all the nagative coverage but when it comes to hillarie what about peter paul

May 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  14. Nathan

Guam once again shows Obama's lack of support among true Democrats who understand the Electoral College process.

Here We Go North Carolina.

Time to show we're a BIG State. Time to show all that education has not gone to our heads. Time to show we have some sense and know our history as Democrats. Time to show that we understand the Electoral College. Time to show we are supporting the Electabl Candidate as our Democratic Nominee. Time to show that we are NOT Lieberman Democrats... who are Independents in disguise.

Time to show our Carolina Blue. Our Governor Easley– who is not worried about his reelection– has supported Clinton. He's right on track and a great leader who is backing our next President.

Time to Vote for Madame President Hillary Rodham Clinton.

P.S. Remember when Gas was $1.46 when Bill and Hillary handed the keys to the White House to Bush?

May 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  15. Florence Shahbegian

What has happened to the standards of the New York Times? You no longer are representative of an outstanding newspaper. You have lost it. I read your presumed Op Ed writers you invited to give their opinion in the 2 states Indiana and North Carolina. Where was their a favorable opinion for Barack Obama? Both writers were Clinton supporters. You call this fair reporting. Where have you gone. Having been a Media Planner for the top agencies in the country, I am not sad that you are no longer a quality newspaper, I am only reviled. Most particularly, your contemptible slants in reporting the current Presidential campaign. I canceled my subscription a year ago. My disappointment with the Times over the years finally prompted me to do so.

May 4, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  16. Convinced

I am so tired of Obama's rhetorical speeches. This is not to inspire voters to vote based on inspiration. He lacks substance. Why cant his voter supporters accept it. I got to admit that Hillary Clinton does have substance and a clear vision on how to implement solutions in our much needed country and the economy. By the way, I must say that her demeanor through this primary campaign has been very presidential.

May 4, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. Bob

Since the difference is within the margin of error, the headline is just plain wrong - that conclusion cannot be reached.

May 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  18. Alex

Just what polls did you use for your "poll of polls" or maybe you wouldnt care to share with your readers? Incidentally Obama is ahead by 6 points in the head to head national match up with Clinton and two polls – Zogby has Obama up by 9 points in N. Carolina and 3 points in Indiana (May 4th) whilst Rasmussen Reports has Obama up (May 2nd) by 9 points in N. Carolina. Why dont you try some real journalism for a change? Never thought you could outdo Fox, but there you go again!!!

May 4, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. Eric in Lincolnton, NC

Obams will NOT win North Carolina by that much if any. I too live in North Carolina and i do not know where these so called polls come from because the did not interview any one i know. Im voting on tuesday for HILLARY and im taking 15 people with me to vote for her also.

Hillary 08!!

May 4, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  20. Not Convinced

Dear Convinced,

I think you are dilusional. Hillary's demeanor in this campaign has been pathetic.

I will accept the fact that you are not playing with a full deck and that your candidate is a liar. That's why we don't support her.

Obama 08

May 4, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  21. Sr.

Dear Jr.

Thanks for you opt ad, and convincing me why it is so important to vote for BARACK OBAMA.

See you at the inauguration.

Obama 08

May 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  22. Linda

Obama wants to " change the world"...does that mean like his pastor????? Better think hard before you vote for this man.
    Hillary can do this job waiting and it IS a Big job! Linda

May 4, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  23. Jon

I am a white male from North Carolina. Born and raised. I know almost no one supporting Hillary Clinton. In fact, the handful that are, are uneducated, and know almost nothing about the political process.

May 4, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. Yvonne

I got polled for the first time ever on Saturday. It was automated and didn't say but I know it was by Public Policy Polling. Can't wait to see the poll results on Monday. I'm an Obama supporter!

May 4, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  25. Blayze Kohime

As of right now, Clinton would have to obtain 60% of all future primaries AND 60% of the super delegates that are left in order to just break even with Obama. If she gets anywhere beneath 60% in the next two contests, even if she wins by a small margin, that percent will go up. It makes me wonder if Clinton learned math from the same book as Huckabee did.

May 4, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |