May 5th, 2008

Americans worried about price of gas

A new poll shows Americans worried about the increasing price of gas.
A new poll shows Americans worried about the increasing price of gas.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – Americans are already paying through the nose for gasoline, and they think it's only going to get worse.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll found that 94% of respondents expect they will have to pay $4 a gallon sometime this year – and 78% said they figure it will hit $5.

The national average for gasoline was $3.61 on Monday.

Consumers' fear they will have to pay more has intensified. A year ago, 79% thought gas would cost $4 gas by the end of 2007 and only 28% feared $5 gas.

At the same time, high prices seem to be easier to swallow now than it has been for most consumers in the past. Of the more than 1,000 American adults surveyed in the poll, conducted April 28-30, 60% said high fuel prices have caused hardship for them or their household. That's down from 72% in March and 66% during the same time last year.

Full story

Filed under: Poll
  1. MAT

I am for REAL change in America and Obama is our deliverer. Hillary talks a good talk and does a good job of tearing down people and people are sick and tired of it. She failed health care before, so what makes it any different that she will make change with the oil companies? Our government has failed us point blank. Who cares that she knows the system and how it works, that's the very root of the problem...the system! Political wheeling dealing and lies....I say clean house! Go Obama!

May 5, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  2. mk

Of course, American's are worried about gas prices. Everyone is struggling. But a quick vote for a gimmicky presidential candidate that doesn't get the bigger picture is only going to make things worse. People should really consider their choice before voting and not choose a pandering divisive Democratic candidate.

May 5, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. Eli

IF you are really concerened how about following Hillary's plan. After all she will be president by Memorial Day right? Oh gheez, I think she is playing us, she wouldn't do that would she?

May 5, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  4. Yaw

O-DAM-AS S supporters u mean to tell me no plan in your elitist world is better that $30?
    ARE U PEOPLE STILL ON CRACK LIKE UR LEADER O-DAM-AS S

May 5, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  5. John, IN

Someone do something, please!

Don't just sit and talk!

May 5, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  6. Reggy Mack

CNN. What don't you put up Obamas correct Super Delegate count. He's at 260 not 252. Whats up? You don't want him to look to close to Hillary's count.

May 5, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  7. Romulus, Michigan

We should not talk negatively about peoples educational levels, each of us have a purpose. My mother had no formal education; my father served in the U. S. Army and had an 8th grade education. All American should have the opportunity to get a college education if they choose. I went to college in my late twenties and went back in my thirties. I worked two jobs to send my daughter to college and helped her obtain her J.D. I have brothers and sister who did not go to college and they are intelligent thinking people. What we are overlooking is that many people from little children where preach to hate others and their whole life and belief system is built around these lies. It is hard for them to make a leap of faith toward understanding that we are all one race the human race. I must remain forever hopeful that we can get there.

May 5, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |